AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been hanging around here for a few months gathering information. I am an audiophile at heart and have music playing most of the time in some part of the house. I started out looking at digital pj's but quickly learned that this was not an avenue for me. While not sensitive to rainbows myself I would not want one of my friends to come over and get a headache while watching a movie. The screendoor issue with LCD is a big problem for me. It annoys me on my computer.

Not to start a big argument here but I seem to be leaning towards a Barco 801G. What kind of picture quality will I get? I will probably buy one that has been checked out by someone reputable...possibly Curt Palme, I recently got on his mailing list. Being a newbie what kind of headaches can I expect setting this thing up and getting it running? I plan to use it mainly for DVD and Direct TV At some point in the near future I want to use it for HDTV. I am on a limited budget being a single parent. Any input on this particular pj would be useful from someone that is using one.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Panhead

My first PJ was a BG800 from Curt. It is very similar and maybe a small step down from the 801. The image was very good indeed. I had some small problems with video O/P boards but for the most part it was bulletproof. IMO the Barcos are very good first PJs because of thier modular design which allows easy replacement of parts without a lot of troubleshooting knowlege neccessary. Curt knows these PJs inside out and can troubleshoot MOST problems over the phone and his support is fantastic and indeed legendary on this forum.

When I decieded to upgrade I had no problem selling the 800 for what I paid. It is easy to sell because most people are very surprised by the image it throws at the price. Don't get me wrong. It has flaws and is easily bettered in brightness and sharpness by some of the higher end 8" units. Also I found the geometry and convergence system to be a little wanting and would recommend you use a screen with black borders so that a little bow in the sides, top and bottom will not be an issue. You can get rid of the bows but to get a perfectly square image you will need a lot of electronic correction which can lead to other problems.

By all means get the 800/801 series.

Thats my 2C

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.