AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since the 65VT30 is cost prohibitive even at the best prices I could find, I am deciding between the 55 - 60" ST, GT or VT. If there was a 60VT30 in Canada I would very seriously consider stretching my budget, but alas, I don't have the option.

So what are the deciding factors between these options?

55ST30

60ST30

or

55GT30

60GT30 or 55VT30

??

Besides the obvious differences in sizes, how much better would the 55 or 60 GT be than the ST, and is a 55 VT worth it over a 60" ST or GT?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/20844476

55ST30 or 60ST30 or 55GT30 or 60GT30 or 55VT30

That doesn't look much like "Narrowing it down"

Quote:
Ok, since the 65VT30 is cost prohibitive even at the best prices I could find, I am deciding between the 55 - 60" ST, GT or VT. If there was a 60VT30 in Canada I would very seriously consider stretching my budget, but alas, I don't have the option. So what are the deciding factors between these options? Besides the obvious differences in sizes, how much better would the 55 or 60 GT be than the ST, and is a 55 VT worth it over a 60" ST or GT?

That's difficult for anyone to say because what's important to others may not be important to you. You have to weigh the options against one another and decide what you "must have" and what you can do without (such as a larger screen, or THX mode, or better blacks, etc).

If you want a bigger screen, and can do without THX mode and slightly better blacks, and don't mind the wider bezel, than the 60ST30 is a great value. The GT30 adds the THX mode, slightly better black levels, a narrower bezel with a silver outer trim surround, thinner rear cabinet and bezel, one additional HDMI Input (all 4 are mounted on the left side), and a VGA PC Input (but limited to 768p signal so it's kinda useless). For me, the only things of value on the GT30 are the slightly better black levels and the narrower bezel. That would be enough for me to spend a few hundred more, but to others it's not worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
That doesn't look much like "Narrowing it down"

That's difficult for anyone to say because what's important to others may not be important to you. You have to weigh the options against one another and decide what you "must have" and what you can do without (such as a larger screen, or THX mode, or better blacks, etc).

If you want a bigger screen, and can do without THX mode and slightly better blacks, and don't mind the wider bezel, than the 60ST30 is a great value. The GT30 adds the THX mode, slightly better black levels, a narrower bezel with a silver outer trim surround, thinner rear cabinet and bezel, one additional HDMI Input (all 4 are mounted on the left side), and a VGA PC Input (but limited to 768p signal so it's kinda useless). For me, the only things of value on the GT30 are the slightly better black levels and the narrower bezel. That would be enough for me to spend a few hundred more, but to others it's not worth the extra cost.
Fair enough. Good points. I like hearing what is important to others, because it let's me re-evaluate my decision making process. Sometimes I figure that one thing is more important than another.

For instance, I find it hard to go for the 55VT30 when the 60ST30 is cheaper and the GT30 is essentially the same price. I would seriously consider a 60VT30. If the GT really does have lower black levels, that would be impressive. I have read at least one or two reviews where the difference isn't much.

The THX mode could be useful, but I don't think it will be as good as it could be without some fixing.

The design, bezel etc. is nice, but not a deciding factor. Extra HDMI port is nice. A PC/VGA input at 768p is useless.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of my thinking is budget and the other is size in regards to possible projector theatre. As much as I'd like a 65VT30...it's prohibitively expensive. I plan to one day have a projector setup again. I just sold my projector because the cost of the projector and screen was too much, particularly in light of the fact that having ONLY a projector, I would have to watch TV in a dark room. Instead, for now, I sold my projector and will get a TV.

So the situation is, I want to get a projector again in the future, but I am not sure when. If I get too small a flatscreen to save money in general, and/or to save cash for a future projector, then I am stuck with a very small screen in comparison, particularly if I just can't go the projector route for a long time. On the other hand, if I get too large a flatscreen TV, I eat into my future potential projector/screen budget, and things become a bit redundant or gluttonous.....so that is why I feel that getting a smaller 46 or 50" or a larger, much more expensive 65" TV doesn't work in my situation.

That is why the 60" ST is really looking like a good option. Big enough to give me a reasonably large screen experience as long as I arrange my seating close enough, which I can, and yet not so expensive as too put too much of a drain on my wallet. Then again, a 55" is also not a bad choice. Even the 55" VT is nice because it's not more than the 65" ST or GT and it's such a high quality display with very low black levels.

I am still trying to figure out the differences between the sets. It really seems that for picture quality, the ST and GT are really very close. Although the GT has noticably lower black levels, according to some, the ultimate picture quality is still very similar, and the GT still has some odd gamma issues, which will hopefully be fixed. I can't find any firm reports that the black levels of the GT are significantly lower than the ST, and as such, despite other picture quality issues, the GT is worth it over the ST. Most people say the ST is a better value, and that the extra you pay for the GT, despite the possibly lower blacks, extra HDMI, THX and nicer bezel design etc just isn't worth it.

Anyhow, I guess I'm over thinking it. I figure if I got a 55-60" of either of these models, I won't be hugely disappointed....so I should just keep trying to determine the real world differences between models, try to be realistic about my budget, and decide whether I want a better picture, or bigger picture. That is what I am doing. I've been going out looking at the sets, and I'm getting somewhere. I have to say, the ST is impressive. I am pleased with how much nicer and lower the black level is compared to the S30 and compared to friends older PX80 and C2...I am heading out now to check out some more Panny at a store or too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i went back and forth on the 55/60 gt st. finally purchased the 55 gt mainly for the nicer looking bezel. price at the the time was only $100 more than the 55st. i probably would have been happy with any of the four choices, the differences being so subtle

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although I am finding that the black levels on the ST30 are very impressive, and in fact quite low compared to the S30 and older lower-mid panasonic plasma panels, if the GT is even lower, a fair bit lower and the difference is quite noticeable, then I am tempted to go GT. I have yet to see an ST and GT side by side, or at least somewhat close to one another. Again today I saw the S30 and ST30 side by side (a 65ST30 and a 60S30) and the difference in the lower black level of the ST30 is quite significant. I don't care about the difference in the bezel and think the ST30 looks fine.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'd go 60gt30, and I own an st30. I think the difference in black will be noticeable and blacks are very stable this year, so the ANSI contrast will be even better- somewhere around 5,000:1

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/20847098

I'd go 60gt30, and I own an st30. I think the difference in black will be noticeable and blacks are very stable this year, so the ANSI contrast will be even better- somewhere around 5,000:1

So you chose the ST30 for lowest cost?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it was me out of those options my preference would be for the VT30. I would find it best to choose "better" over bigger because 55" is already fairly large.

The other line of thinking is that you could get a ST30 55" as it's relatively cheap then sell it after a time and buy something better than exists today.

Although a larger television will let us see more detail the price of that is magnifying every flaw in the television and source material like grain and compression artefacts, and also in plasmas' case, flicker. Pixel density is a part of the quality of the experience too. To see all the detail in a picture it would have to be so large it would look horrible. Density and a degree of imperceptivity of fine detail is needed to make a picture look realistic. No matter how big the television is it still has the same 1080h number of pixels. So while a 65" TV can look impressive there are downsides too.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
If it were me, I would get the 60ST30. The GT is better, but they're basically the same panel and the cost difference isn't worth it. For the same price, I would get the 60ST30 over the 55GT30. When you get to screens that large, that extra 5" diagonally results in a hefty difference in screen surface area. The 60" is about 19% larger than the 55".

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I am definitely leaning more towards the 60" panels. I will try to have a look at the 60" GT and figure out if the lower black level is noticeable. I will grab a 60" GT if I can get a good deal on it. Prices for some panels, like the ST, just went down a bit recently. Hopefully the GT prices will drop a bit too. Some comment that the difference in cost between the GT and VT is partly masked by the lack of 3D glasses with the GT. The cost of glasses added to the GT brings it higher, and closer in cost to the VT. Trouble is, without a 60" VT, the 65" VT is too much more than the GT, so the glasses don't make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am hesitating because it seems like a catch 22 between the ST and GT. The ST has fairly decent gamma, colour and black levels, particularly for the price, but it's dimmer. The GT has deeper blacks and brighter picture, but weird gamma and possible tints. If I knew the GT could be made to have the same or better gamma as the ST and also be free of tint then I would be able to justify the GT. Then again, if I was sure the ST wasn't too dim in it's best mode, I could go for it instead.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/20899781

I am hesitating because it seems like a catch 22 between the ST and GT. The ST has fairly decent gamma, colour and black levels, particularly for the price, but it's dimmer. The GT has deeper blacks and brighter picture, but weird gamma and possible tints. If I knew the GT could be made to have the same or better gamma as the ST and also be free of tint then I would be able to justify the GT. Then again, if I was sure the ST wasn't too dim in it's best mode, I could go for it instead.

If you get a 60" or 65" panel, the blacks are measuring, per D-Nice, around .0036-.004 ft/L. Half the smaller sized ST panels and .001 or so lower than the smaller GT panels.

I got my ST30 because I wanted a smaller tv and they don't make 42" GTs anymore.

60ST30! At that size, dim won't be a factor and it'll look great at night or with a few lamps on or room lights. Plus, you'll have better blacks. The GT is not much different from the ST regarding brightness, that's [email protected]#^. They both end up being calibrated around 28-35 ft/L. You can make it brighter for a less accurate picture during the day by cranking panel brightness to high in custom mode and then put it in low brightness/custom or cinema, it's better modes for night.

Now buy it!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/20899814

If you get a 60" or 65" panel, the blacks are measuring, per D-Nice, around .0036-.004 ft/L. Half the smaller sized ST panels and .001 or so lower than the smaller GT panels.

I got my ST30 because I wanted a smaller tv and they don't make 42" GTs anymore.

60ST30! At that size, dim won't be a factor and it'll look great at night or with a few lamps on or room lights. Plus, you'll have better blacks. The GT is not much different from the ST regarding brightness, that's [email protected]#^. They both end up being calibrated around 28-35 ft/L. You can make it brighter for a less accurate picture during the day by cranking panel brightness to high in custom mode and then put it in low brightness/custom or cinema, it's better modes for night.

Now buy it!

Well, I hope the black levels on the 46" aren't too bad, because I eventually want one of those for my bedroom.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
stop hesitating you'll die before you know it do you understand that?

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah yeah, I know. I've gone so long without that I am trying to be sure what I should get and what I can afford. The ST30 has me convinced that it is a very very good value. May not have the best black level, but still very very good, especially for the money. I will buy soon...very soon. 55 or 60" ST30 to be purchased within a week or two. Leaning towards the 60" even though I will get a projector too some day.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/20927636

Yeah yeah, I know. I've gone so long without that I am trying to be sure what I should get and what I can afford. The ST30 has me convinced that it is a very very good value. May not have the best black level, but still very very good, especially for the money. I will buy soon...very soon. 55 or 60" ST30 to be purchased within a week or two. Leaning towards the 60" even though I will get a projector too some day.

After weeks of research on these forums dithering between ST and GT and the Sammy D7000 plasma -here is what is determining the choice for me: The pro critics and many owners use the words "Awesome--Stunning --The Best Picture I have ever seen, Jaw-Dropping picture etc, etc for the Samsung . The way the Pannys are described is "Good TV for the money" and solid value,--- seems like the D7000 is the much better TV - or am I missing something? any input appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.