AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having 6 hard drives with movies on them. I have a desktop connected to TV in my living room. since its looking akward, i am planning to purchase NAS and hook my present drives into the NAS
is it possible for me to purchase NAS and hook present hard drives directly or do i need to format them prior to installing HDS ?

I am pretty new to this NAS world. are there any NAS where i can have windows installed on it and connect them to a TV or its just a box where i hook up hard drives and connect them to my network and watch videos from my system or any media receivers ?

Please suggest

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Sounds like you are needing a media server instead of a NAS.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The answer is: depends.

Some will only accept clean hard drives, not just empty, but clean without any formatting. Some will accept empty, but formatted drives, and some will accept drive with your data on it.

Question you should be asking. What are your plans for protecting the data across 6 hard drives, should 1 of them fail?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hello,

I am having 6 hard drives with movies on them. I have a desktop connected to TV in my living room. since its looking akward, i am planning to purchase NAS and hook my present drives into the NAS
is it possible for me to purchase NAS and hook present hard drives directly or do i need to format them prior to installing HDS ?

I am pretty new to this NAS world. are there any NAS where i can have windows installed on it and connect them to a TV or its just a box where i hook up hard drives and connect them to my network and watch videos from my system or any media receivers ?

Please suggest
I can't think of a single purpose built NAS Unit that runs Windows but that said you can make your own, just get a system with a bunch of Drive Bays and a Motherboard with enough SATA Connections you can just share your drives on to your network.

If you aren't looking for any kind of data security / redundancy (like RAID or Mirroring) then you don't want / need a NAS unit. You will be spending a lot of money for no reason. If you buy a NAS unit and you want to create a RAID you will more than likely have to wipe your drives and start from scratch.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hello,

Please suggest
Same recommendation from the other thread. Leave the drives in the cosmos case, consider it a server, tuck it away somewhere else, put clients at the TV. You'll have a very nice server given the specs, you could run plex or emby and transcode 4 or more mkv rips at a time. You can make it a home automation center, surveillance (blue iris), game server (steam - add an nvidia gpu for gamestream), etc. Or just keep it as a media server and run handbrake once in a while to convert media over to other portable devices / drives for on the go.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I personally run Chrome Remote Desktop for remote access to my server, but there are a number of other good ways to accomplish this as well

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same recommendation from the other thread. Leave the drives in the cosmos case, consider it a server, tuck it away somewhere else, put clients at the TV. You'll have a very nice server given the specs, you could run plex or emby and transcode 4 or more mkv rips at a time. You can make it a home automation center, surveillance (blue iris), game server (steam - add an nvidia gpu for gamestream), etc. Or just keep it as a media server and run handbrake once in a while to convert media over to other portable devices / drives for on the go.

Thanks for the response. this is what i am looking for a client machine. Presently i have connected my box to a receiver via HDMI and i get 7.1 sound
i am looking for a suggestion which device should i be purchasing so that i can keep it under my tv cabinet and then keep my big cosmos box some where else and connect in the network

Intel NUC or any other device or wait for somemore time until i get a good device ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts