AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to build an unRAID server, using the free version initally with just 2x750GB 1x400GB PATA drives. However, when I tried to set it up, my controller is defaulting to PIO mode, and as a result, the initial parity sync would have taken over 1200 hours.

I have been talking on the support forums there, and haven't had a response in about 10 days - the admin seems to think it is a driver problem for my chipset.

In any case, I need to get this going asap, and I don't want to buy a new mb/cpu/ram/etc just for unRAID - that is what I spent money on the HDDs for, planning to use hardware pulled from my previous HTPC.

So here's what I have:

AMD Opteron 144 s939

MSI K8NGM2-FID motherboard nVidia 6150 chipset, onboard video and GB Lan, SATA, SATA RAID, PATA, etc... micro ATX

2x512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR

2x750GB, 1x400GB I think they are all 7200.10 Seagates, or maybe the 400 is a 7200.9

That's it so far.

I really would love something similar to unRAID or a quick solution to my problem. I've tried different cables and power isn't a problem, I have no clue why they are reverting to PIO.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Did you post your questions on the UnRaid forum.....? There are lots of smart folks there that have tried many hardware configurations. I will say however that the one downside to the UnRaid is that it's very picky about hardware.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey /forum/post/0

Did you post your questions on the UnRaid forum.....? There are lots of smart folks there that have tried many hardware configurations. I will say however that the one downside to the UnRaid is that it's very picky about hardware.

Yeah, I have done so, and even the admin looked into it. He thinks it is a driver issue, but after 10 days, I've heard no work if he thinks it is possible to fix or what the wait tie would be even.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been using the free unRAID for a few months now, but I am hesitant to upgrade to Pro because I am afraid of stability and problems like yours.

Despite all the foreseeable problems, it is still one of the most well thought out home storage solutions available, simply because of its flexibility with drive sizes and overall cost, while still providing fault-tolerance.

Does anyone know how many people are involved in the development of unRAID? The impression that I have is that only one person (Tom) does everything.

I only wish that this was developed by a larger company, because the development and support would be greater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.