AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

first of all, excuse me if the topic has been addressed. It's a noob here, with no info after a LOT of searching...

I'm thinking about buying a NAS, for the same reasons many of you have (shortage of space on the pc, opportunity to have the pc turned off while streaming, etc...).

I have a popcorn and a WDTV Live.

What I cannot understand from my search is: many of the video I stream from the pc won't be played unless I use a server software (e.g. swisscente, wildmediaserver...). This means the software is having my pc transcoding the video files I'm feeding.

Is it right? (could not get to be sure about this)

and now the question: is there a quite nas that can do this?

Or will I have to build a htpc?

Sorry again for the noob questions but... yes... struggling to understand

Thanks,

RJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK /forum/post/19629132

what do you stream that you need to transcode?

I ususally use the Popcorn to read Flac files, which do not need to be transcoded.

Transcoding seems to be needed for video files, various formats usually contained in avi or mkv. I'm assuming transcoding is necessary as they just won't be played without using e.g. the swisscenter to feed the popcorn.

ptsenter: WHS would need a pc running, right?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
PopcornHour, even the earliest versions (A-100) can play most common file formats like AVI, xVid, DVD ISO's, VOB's and .h264/mp4 in MKV containers without any transcoding needed.

Just set up your NAS with simple Samba/SMB (and UPNP if you need it for other network media players like internet radios, etc you may have) and that's most likely all you'll need to do... no man-in-the-middle needed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.