AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our station here in Birminham just went online this week and the race is being shown in 4:3 mode - is todays race available in the 16:9 widescreen fox offers?

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I am getting it in Widescreen, but for some reason, in Washington DC's WTTG we do not have it in DD5.1. It was DD5.1 yesterday for the Busch race. So I'm not sure what's up.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Was 16x9 and DD5.1 here.. zoom! wooo dale! Lookit that 2-4 car go!

ate me anudder chikkin wang..!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
As we get closer to July, I'm begining to worry that NBC will be Standard Def. I'll sure miss the Widescreen and DD5.1. I also wonder if CBS or ABC will offer an HD motorsports this summer? I know that CBS has a few CART races and ABC has IRL/F1. I sure hope that someone announces something.

I'd sure hate to have FOX Widescreen as the highlight of my Racing summer. Although it does look much much better than SD I get via Dish or UHF Antenna.

·
Registered
164 Posts
WTTG had it 5.1 for me. Sure you were using the optical inputs and not the analog ones....

- John

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cyclone,

Fox, NBC and TNT use the same trucks to produce the races. NEP Supershooters. The races are actually produced by NASCAR Digital Entertainment. I hope that means that we will see the wide screen format on NBC that we see on Fox. TNT will be SD 4:3 most likely. DD5.1 is unlikely on NBC/TNT.

As for the IRL/Indy 500 those races are produced by Telx, the TV Production arm of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I will ask around about HD on those races.

I do like that DD5.1. I noticed on yesterday's race that the audio path for DD must be separate from the analog feed. The pre-recorded break returns that Mike voiced were out of phase. I also noticed that there is not near as much compression on the digital feed. When they would go to the pits on the analog feed you could barely hear a change in the level of the effects, while on the DD feed you could hear the guy mixing pot up the pit reporters....

Testing123

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asterix2112
WTTG had it 5.1 for me. Sure you were using the optical inputs and not the analog ones....

- John

Hehe, I actually disconnected my Analog connectors from my STB and only use the TOSLINK optical connector for my audio. :D

It must have been somekind of fluke. I did get DD5.1 on ABC later that night along with other stations. So I'm at least confident in my equipment.

It would be interesting if NBC went with 480p DD5.1. I still haven't seen a DD5.1 broadcast on NBC. I heard that NBC did the Olympics & Kentucky Derby in DD5.1 in the past. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My history with DD5.1 and OTA DTV.

CBS - Grammys and Basketball

ABC - DD5.1 all the time with HDTV. :cool:

FOX - Nascar

WB - Saw it once for a Wizards Basketball game by my affiliate.

PBS - Often

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
GT,

It's not widely publicized, but the NBC 5.1 on the Olympics wasn't real 5.1,

it was "faked"..I got this directly from one of the NBC engineers who worked on the Olympics. This was more due to the host broadcaster of the games doing them in prologic rather than NBC. This explains why many folks felt the Olympics 5.1 was "weak".

As to FOX's NASCAR 5.1, they're still tweaking the mix and learning how to

do it better. Having worked remote tv production,including NASCAR, the

audio mixing can be quite involved, so I think overall that FOX is doing pretty good with the 5.1. It will only get better, especially now since 5.1

is becoming more widespread.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
... and George Thompson teleports here...

Have you (or anyone) heard anything, or know anyone in the appropriate area to ask, about NBC's plans for coverage of the second half of the NASCAR season this year? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Faked? :D That cracks me up. I mean why bother, just use DD2.0. I'll try and catch some of the triple crown and see if at least one of my NBC affiliates as a DD encoder.

I also think that Fox is doing a good job with their Nascar Coverage. I wish we'd get more "Crank it up" not so much because I crank it up, but because the commentators finally "shut up" during this period. :D

I can't wait for the fall. I heard that CBS will have its DD5.1 ready by then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.