AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nash Bridges Revival Set to Begin Production in May — Who's Returning?
By Michael Ausiello

Don Johnson‘s long-gestating Nash Bridges revival is finally coming to fruition, with production set to begin in May in San Francisco.

As previously reported, the project — which was initially set up at USA Network — will air as two-hour movie, but producers are hopeful it’ll serve as a backdoor pilot for a full series relaunch. A rep for NBC Universal declined to comment on Nash 2.0, including whether it is still bound for USA Network (versus being poached by NBCU’s reboot/revival-hungry streamer Peacock).

In addition to Johnson, who is currently co-starring on NBC’s freshman comedy Kenan, Cheech Marin (Inspector Joe Dominguez) and Jeff Perry (Inspector Harvey Leek) are also expected to reprise their roles from the original series. The trio will be surrounded by at least a half-dozen new characters, per sources.

On Wednesday’s The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Johnson confirmed that he’s in “heavy prep” on the new iteration, adding, “We find Nash some years later. And Cheech is going to come back and join me, and Jeff Perry. We’ve got a pretty exciting show that we’re prepping in San Francisco right now.”

The original Nash Bridges was created by Carlton Cuse (Lost) and ran for six seasons — a total of 122 episodes — on CBS, between March 1996 and May 2001. Cuse, who currently has a deal at ABC Studios, is not involved with the revival, which is being spearheaded by Johnson and Bill Chais (Franklin & Bash).

On the original series, Johnson’s Bridges was an inspector (and later captain) with the San Francisco Police Department’s Special Investigations Unit. Additional cast members throughout its run included James Gammon (as Nick Bridges), Jodi Lyn O’Keefe (as Cassidy Bridges), Jaime P. Gomez (as Evan Cortez), Annette O’Toole (as Lisa Bridges), Serena Scott Thomas (Kelly Bridges), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (as A.J. Shimamura), Mary Mara (as Bryn Carson), Kelly Hu (as Michelle Chan), Yasmine Bleeth (as Catlin Cross), Wendy Moniz (as Rachel McCabe) and Cress Williams (as Antwon Babcock).

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Last I checked, you couldn't stream the old episodes anywhere.
It has popped up on streaming services a few times in the past. I think the last place I saw it was on CBS ALL ACCESS a few years back, long before it became PARAMOUNT+. Even then, the episodes available were sporadic within seasons, particularly in Season 1. If you had any desire to start the show from EP1 and get up to speed on the characters it would be a challenge for anyone without previous knowledge of the show from the broadcast network days.

Hopefully with this revival, PARAMOUNT+ will decide to gather up all six (6) seasons and 122 episodes and present the complete series on the streaming platform.

Reactions: Mike Lang

·
Administrator
20,535 Posts
You'd think it would certainly increase the chances of the reboot getting watched if viewers could refresh their memory on the original.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You'd think it would certainly increase the chances of the reboot getting watched if viewers could refresh their memory on the original.
That is the hope. All episodes being available would be nice also.

I have noticed that a few shows that are missing a number of episodes from seasons seem to be productions that were happening in the mid to late 90's. NASH BRIDGES is one. TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL is another. Is that when digital filming began and is it possible that some of these are lost and unrecoverable? :unsure:

·
Registered
27,720 Posts
I have noticed that a few shows that are missing a number of episodes from seasons seem to be productions that were happening in the mid to late 90's. NASH BRIDGES is one. TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL is another. Is that when digital filming began and is it possible that some of these are lost and unrecoverable? :unsure:
The complete Nash Bridges series was released on Blu-ray by a label called Visual Entertainment Group back in 2017. So the episodes do still exist, and in HD. Why some were missing from streaming, I couldn't guess.

Reactions: blade005

·
Administrator
20,535 Posts
It does currently air regularly on the Heroes & Icons network, The NYC subchannel affiliate shows it in 16:9 SD ...
Yeah it looks like they air 5 episodes a week.

·
Administrator
20,535 Posts
Well that's a non-starter. I'm not a 4K snob or anything but that Heroes & Icons network was unwatchable. Hopefully a better quality streaming option becomes available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts