AVS Forum banner

5281 - 5300 of 5324 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wanted to drop a quick update since I discovered a lot in the past 12 hours, and my outlook is better on the stability of the ATSC streams based on further testing.

I have watchable picture (and even audio depending on player) on ALL the ATSC3 / HEVC channels posted in my Channel Listing. Stable playback today requires use of HDHomeRun's own player software. As a quick recap, the ATSC3 channels I am detecting with HDHomeRun Quatro 4K are 2.1, 5.1, 17.1, 17.3, 30.1, and 58.1. See my prior post about all the Channel Lineup and which ones are ATSC3.x capable.
Historically I have used Channels software on iOS devices and AppleTV for playback. That is not working well for ATSC3 streams, not sure why. This is part of the reason why I thought the ATSC streams were unreliable. (VLC usage is another reason, it is more a quick check it seems and should not be used for long playback/watching)

Also, at the beginning of my testing, my HDHomeRun Tuner Channel Listing was not tuning the ATSC3 streams for some reason. It was still tuning to the ATSC1.0 streams for channels like 2.1, 5.1, 17.1, even though an ATSC3 also existing on another channel. I think it was updated by one of the Windows SiliconDust utilities. Anyway now that the HomeRun is "updated", all the clients that I have tested, now cause the HDHomeRun to tune into the ATSC3.x streams. This combined with using only the HDHomeRun players has improved stability a great deal. Keep in mind just because the client causes the tuner to tune into the ATSC3.x stream, doesn't mean that client can actually play audio and/or video from that stream! And this is the hurdle right now, there is no easy way to have the HDHomeRun "failback" to ATSC1.0 streams for clients that don't support ATSC3 for whatever reason. Lots of speculation about possible workarounds, but nothing concrete yet.

Audio is one of the bigger challenges. MacOS player I believe was just updated in past week and audio should work, but it is not for me. The Win10 Windows Store HDHomeRun player is working for audio. (Xbox HDHomeRun app works as well but has freeze-up issues)And the recently released LG webOS TV "app", by SiliconDust, audio is working directly from my SmartTV. (65" 2019 C9). HDHomeRun players for iOS devices are not working with ATSC 3.x streams for me, but work for all other channels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
(Oct 27 Edit/ update --- I put a few more comments below. make sure you are checking SiliconDust forums as well as there are many known issues with ATSC3 streams, but most of us probably have some Windows PC (even works on VM) where you can at least get some output)

For the Nashville ATSC 3.0 channels, I only get audio on the following players. to limit testing I am only using HDHomeRun apps for now. the HDHomeRun apps are free, but you are required to have HDHomeRun tuner on your network to use their app.

Audio works on:
1. Windows 10 PC with HDHomeRun Microsoft store app
2. Xbox w/ HDHomeRun app (Microsoft store) - (Update - Xbox was freezing up on me after X seconds. Audio and video work for first X amount of time, then whole channel just freezes. you can switch channels around and then go back. Some other users posting about this in SiliconDust forums, check there. Might be a known issue)
3. LG TV with HDHomeRun app (LG app store) (Update: LG HDHomeRun app was the most reliable for me by far for ATSC3 streams. I let it play for hours yesterday, mostly on either 2.1, 5.1, or 17.1. I don't think it had a single hiccup and picture looked great. Some other users are reporting good stability with LG HDHomeRun app as well.

some other clients may be able to view the video, but cannot handle the audio format.
I have tested the following other clients that don't work for either audio or video, [update/edit] or sometimes either / both :

iPad (update: IIRC iPad and Apple TV behave same/ similar. HDHomeRun cannot tune audio or video, just black screen or blue screen. HDHomeRun Tuner tunes to the atsc stream (reported by web interface) but the ipad / ATV cannot display picture or sound. Channels app actually works a little better in that you see crystal clear picture initially, but as the audio starts coming in everything gets choppy and you get constant stutter of picture frames, some audio, gap, next frames+audio, etc. )

Apple TV 4K (Update/edit: doesn't work at all on HDHomeRun app but Channels app can decode picture, but then audio is stuttering and the audio and/or video feed chokes up)
iPhone (cannot recall if audio or video worked, but it did not work for ATSC3 channels at all)
MacOS w/ HDHomeRun app ( update: Most channels I tested the video worked fine, but no audio)

For ATSC 1.0 channels, all the clients work fine, audio+video, etc. Currently, there is no easy way to tune to the ATSC1.0 equivalents of the channel on clients that don't support audio/video or are having problems. some are working around by having both their old HDHomeRun on the network along with the new Quatro 4K. There might be updates to make the other clients work, or there may be other workarounds available later.
I have a new Fire TV cube but have not tested it yet but plan to do so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update/ Edit : seems to be a feature, not sure if unique to Sinclair or not

ATSC3.0 17.1 Fox feed. Something I forgot to mention which was cool. When tuning to the 17.1 ATSC3 feed using the LG HdHomerun app, I get the popup on the screen indicating the feed is HDR. My LG TV typically pops up HDR momentarily when you start watching an HDR source. the graphic popup specifically says "Advanced HDR by technicolor" . I have not noticed this popup on any other ATSC3.0 streams /channels. I don't have anything to actually check whether it is truly an HDR feed or not. I am not up to speed enough to know if HDR is one of the supported benefits of ATSC3 or not. Anyway, if so, this could be one of the potential benefits. Even if all the feeds are just standard resolutions, but have the HDR capability, could still improve viewing experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Xbox HDHomeRun app NOtes/ Updates for ATSC3.0 streams.
did some further testing. the channel freeze does not lock up the app normally. you can still change to another channel. this morning I was able to get several minutes of playback on 17.1 without a freeze or problem. I don't know if some streams are more problematic than others with Xbox. Other users have reported some Xbox app issues so I have not tested it a great deal. Just be aware your mileage may vary depending on your player.
I have also noticed that on the Xbox HDHomeRun app, channel 5.1 has a strange letterbox effect with black bars top and bottom. Don't recall seeing this issue on any other channels or with any other HDHomeRun players.
Update: Just did test playback on 17.1 and 2.1 and both played audio/video for ~5 min using the Xbox app. I didn't time it, just a guess-estimate. I just set them to play and when I stop hearing sound I check if the screen froze. Both of them have screen freeze after certain amount of time. Don't remember seeing this on Win10, usually if audio/video playback is good, it keeps going ok. But Xbox is different. But the only player I have used for long durations is the LG app, have not played any of the others for hours of viewing.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Alright, got my ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun 4K hooked up, I'm getting WKRN, WNAB and 17.3 on Channel 30. On Channel 21, I get WUXP, but WZTV and WTVF streams show (no data). Not sure if they are currently off-line or if there is something else going on. Signal strength is also less on 21 compared to 30. Little surprising since the towers are right next to each other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was getting the "no data" as well at one point for some of the channels. I think the HDHomeRun Config GUI or another of the Windows utilities was showing that. But later I was able to tune/watch those channels. The appleTV HDHomeRun app was just updated around Nov 1 or 2. Have not tried watching the ATSC3.0 5.1 or 17.1 streams in just the past few days, but for about a week I had no trouble watching them with the HDHomeRun players that work with ATSC3.0 streams. Have to get my 4k unit hooked back into the network again and try the new firmware that was recently released, also want to see how stable the new AppleTV app is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone provide a link for the HDHomeRun GUI?? I googled it but im not sure which one to download. Just got my unit last week and only 17.2 (RF23) is showing up in the guide consistently for ATSC 3.0. I got 2.1 and 58.1 briefly the other night but haven't gotten it since. I do live on the fringe in Manchester and in a first floor apartment so that may have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I was getting the "no data" as well at one point for some of the channels. I think the HDHomeRun Config GUI or another of the Windows utilities was showing that. But later I was able to tune/watch those channels. The appleTV HDHomeRun app was just updated around Nov 1 or 2. Have not tried watching the ATSC3.0 5.1 or 17.1 streams in just the past few days, but for about a week I had no trouble watching them with the HDHomeRun players that work with ATSC3.0 streams. Have to get my 4k unit hooked back into the network again and try the new firmware that was recently released, also want to see how stable the new AppleTV app is.
The update did nothing for android. On my Shield TV, the Android HDHomerun App still doesn't play any sound on the 3.0 channels. Channels DVR Beta does play video and sound correctly on all of the 3.0 channels, but there is constant buffering.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The software on that tech page is not targetted for consumer devices, it's for their commercial devices. (i.e. rack mounted 16 tuner devices for MDUs or College Campuses) The gui that comes with the Tech software is from February, so it doesn't include key ATSC 3.0 configuration options that were added with the September/October updates like the ability to specify the PLP flags.

You need to install the "HDHomeRun Software" from the top of this page:
https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

After you install it, on Windows you can find the hdhomerun_config_gui tool in the "Program Files\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun" folder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Edit /Update:
I also updated my firmware upon first reconnecting my Quatro4K and some of the changes I saw could possibly be related to firmware changes also. but I am leaning toward the antenna changes. Later I can try to troubleshoot my splitter /cables/etc. I had not been able to test the reception /clients on ATSC3 because all my tuners were picking up my other Quatro, but now I have disconnected my other HDHomeRun from my network. I now recall a friend that borrowed my tuner...pretty sure he said he could tune ATSC1.0 without an AMP no problems (Duo or similar tuner), but to get ATSC3 on the new Quatro he had to add an antenna amp back into his setup. So I think this is 2 different locations with different antennas and setups basically confirming you may need pristine to get the ATSC3 feeds.

Original post:
I had my Quatro 4K offline for a few days and when I reconnected everything I used a coax splitter and different power for my AMP. In the new config, Channel scans were not picking up several of the channels as ATSC3. Anyway reset my amp and removed the splitter and now seeing results similar to before, except it appears 17.3 is no longer HEVC (ATSC3) but 17.2 is now. I have heard others commenting about the ATSC3 not being the same power output, I have not been paying that much attention. But with only slight changes to my setup, my Quatro4K stopped detecting the ATSC3 and it was tuning into the ATSC1 channels on 2.1, 5.1, 17.1, etc. So if you are testing you may have different results based on your antenna setup / signal strength, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently upgraded the firmware of my Quatro4K (Firmware Version 20201030 )
and updated my Mac software to the latest release ( hdhomerun_mac_20201030 ) and I can confirm I now get audio on both 5.1 and 17.1 (Mac client) and I am confirming with TunerStatus that my Quatro is pulling the ATSC3 channels. I know these have been out since approx oct 30th I just had not tested everything with my setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also confirming that 17.2 is now detected as ATSC3 instead of 17.3. I can tune in and watch using the mac software and I am getting audio / video on 17.2. Using tuner status web page to confirm I am getting the ATSC3 channel. the program number is 5004 and I don't recall if that is the same or different program # of 17.3 previously, evidence is probably in this thread already. The audio on 17.2 seems just a bit choppy, seems noticeable compared to 5.1 or 17.1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
** Editing / Updated Original post with more details on ATV Channels App. **

Testing updated AppleTV (ATV) HDHomerun app (~11-02-2020 release) and Channels app (v.4.3.0)) with new 10-30 HDHomeRun Quatro4k firmware. Most of these notes are about ATV with some comparisons to current Mac HDHomeRun client.

** Hardware / Audio **
My ATV is the 4K version and there are known audio limitations depending on hardware [I think audio only works on certain versions of ATV hardware]. The HDHomeRun app is not playing any audio for 2.1, 5.1, 17.1, 17.2, 30.1, 58.1 but I am getting picture. I have not updated my ATV OS to the very latest release ( tvOS 14.2 ) and I have no idea if that tvOS upgrade will change anything. Some ATSC3 channels have audio using Channels ATV app. More details below.

** Picture Notes below**
The picture is ok on ATSC3 channels, save that 5.1 is noticeable blurry on the ATV HDHomeRun client compared to other clients. There have been mentions in the SiliconDust forums about handling of HDR on ATV and some issues I think still to be worked out. On the Mac client the picture is crystal clear so just an ATV client artifact for now. The ATV Channels App can actually play audio on some of the ATSC3 channels, so it is not that the ATV cannot play/handle the audio.

I have not done much long term playback but 2.1 and 5.1 were both definitely getting some picture stutters and artifacts on ATV HDHomeRun software. I was watching on Mac client at same time with no issues on Mac, so appears to be some stability issues with new ATV client.

** Channels ATV software ** (Added via Edit of original post)
I am running the latest release of ATV Channels (v4.3.0) app which notes "improved audio for ATSC3 channels" or similar verbiage in the "what's new" section
Overall Channels App is much more usable / acceptable for ATSC3 channels right now. Have not noticed picture stutters and issues like on HDHomeRun app.
Audio+Picture working on 2.1, 17.1, 30.1, 58.1 (brief testing, no long term watch testing)
5.1 has audio but screen is solid blue (I think no change from previous software/firmware combos from a picture perspective)

Channels "Show Stats" OPTION !! I have been out of the loop for a while on using OTA / Channels app, so this option may have been there a while or forever. But some of the advanced stats you can get with Developer mode on ATV (Xcode required to enable) you can just toggle on in the Channels interface. (Swipe down, Options area, "Show Stats" toggle) Handy to make sure you are getting the HEVC / ATSC3 version of the channel without needing to check the tuner status.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update ATV 4K w/ Channels app and 5.1 ATSC3 streams
* By browsing the Fancy Bits community forums found a fix that is working for 5.1 channel and the Channels app on ATV with ATSC3. Settings->Playback->Advanced and change 2 settings
  1. stretch video to fit = ON (off is default)
  2. Deinterlacing mode = Blend (30fps) (Linear 60fps is default)
Don't know if there are negative implications to changing these for other channels or not, but makes 5.1 very watchable.
Edit / update: Just like the other station with this problem in FancyBits forum, the native resolution reported for the 5.1 feed is 1920x540 which is different from the 1280x720 reported by other ATSC3 streams in Nashville market. You can check the resolution by using the Show Stats feature under Options at top of screen.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'm struggling with RF21. I was able to pull in 30.1, no data on 17.1 or 5.1. Now nothing at all. RF30 is fine. Weird because both antennas are basically in the same spot.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Although I am not a viewer in the Nashville area, I have skimmed some of the more recent posts here. Thanks to all of you for your recent posts as it is helpful to everyone on AVS.

Just a few questions for anyone who can answer, to help me gain more insight. Are any of the Nashville stations airing any "actual" 4k content at this time? Or are you just seeing what might be considered upscaled versions of HD or SD pictures over an ATSC3 broadcast signal? Are the ATSC3 feeds carrying any additional sub channels versus the ATSC1 feeds? (I understand ATSC3 has the ability to carry a higher number of sub channels without compromising picture quality). Has there been much advertisement about this new broadcast standard in your area? Or do most viewers appear unaware of its existence? My assumption is the latter, and that it will take some time for it to catch on, particularly with some of the technical glitches. That said, my new LG GX series OLED TV (with a built-in ATSC3 tuner) should be good to go whenever ATSC3 arrives in my area.

Here in NC, several stations in Raleigh are preparing to launch ATSC3 this month. And while I am out of range for that market, I do receive all of the Charlotte networks OTA, which has been announced as one of the "target markets". So I am looking forward to seeing ATSC3 in the future.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No one is running 4K except for a LPTV station in Idaho who is carrying Insight UHD as part of an encrypted subscription OTA service. It's just HD simulcasts of the primary channels on one or two shared ATSC 3.0 lighthouse stations.

You won't see 4K over the air from the major networks for at least 5 years when the mandatory ATSC 1.0 simulcast period is over and they can free up bandwidth for 4K. But that's only if ATSC 3.0 tuner penetration is high enough that stations can turn off their ATSC 1.0 signals and convert them to standalone ATSC 3.0 signals without losing a significant portion of their OTA audience. And considering that there is no mandate for manufacturers to include ATSC 3.0 tuners, nor are there plans to distribute coupons for free converters, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

·
Registered
959 Posts
No one is running 4K except for a LPTV station in Idaho who is carrying Insight UHD as part of an encrypted subscription OTA service. It's just HD simulcasts of the primary channels on one or two shared ATSC 3.0 lighthouse stations.

You won't see 4K over the air from the major networks for at least 5 years when the mandatory ATSC 1.0 simulcast period is over and they can free up bandwidth for 4K. But that's only if ATSC 3.0 tuner penetration is high enough that stations can turn off their ATSC 1.0 signals and convert them to standalone ATSC 3.0 signals without losing a significant portion of their OTA audience. And considering that there is no mandate for manufacturers to include ATSC 3.0 tuners, nor are there plans to distribute coupons for free converters, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
What you indicated about the lack of 4K content makes sense; and I imagine it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. For now, my guess is one of the bigger benefits of atsc3 is its potential to carry a larger number of sub channels without compromising picture quality. Especially since repack of the spectrum, this seems to be an issue with channel sharing and a larger number of subs being placed on a single feed. As a result, PQ has suffered in some instances.

I've read pros and cons about atsc3. But, personally, I think it appears to be a good thing overall. But like you, I am not holding my breath about when penetration of this technology will actually take off. Still, at least the rollout has started.

5281 - 5300 of 5324 Posts