AVS Forum banner

5301 - 5320 of 5324 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just noticed the past few days 44.6 has a test screen and 44.7 is gone. Are TCT and Light going to another station in the area or are they done here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are there any analog stations left on the air in Nashville? Antennaweb.org is showing a low powered Daystar station but I'm not sure if it's on the air. I want to make a video showing some of the last analog stations still on the air in the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, been back on OTA Antenna for the last few months and noticed recently 5.1(UHF) and 5.11(VHF) signal quality choppy. Both built-in tuner in TVs and HDHomeRun(ATSC1 model). HDHomeRun showed symbol quality would be 100% then drop then come backup to 100%. Rest of channels still very clear(even 4.1 on VHF), so for me it's just channel 5 signals. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hello, been back on OTA Antenna for the last few months and noticed recently 5.1(UHF) and 5.11(VHF) signal quality choppy. Both built-in tuner in TVs and HDHomeRun(ATSC1 model). HDHomeRun showed symbol quality would be 100% then drop then come backup to 100%. Rest of channels still very clear(even 4.1 on VHF), so for me it's just channel 5 signals. Thanks.
Have no issues with WTVF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ATSC 3.0 Updates. Silicon Dust recently released new firmware for their ATSC3.0 tuner hardware and also updated many of their apps in the past few days. I upgraded my tuner firmware today, re-scanned channels as was recommended, and now in the guide you have both the ATSC1.x channels and the ATSC3.x channels are listed in the 100s now. you can see below the 102.1 and others which are the ATSC 3.0 channels. Also you can see HEVC which also denotes ATSC3 channels. Channels can also pick this up as well. I have just started testing the newer apps so don't have a lot to report. This update is nice since you can now watch the stable 1.0 channels with Audio support for all clients, but then also test the ATSC3 feeds as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ATSC 3.0 Updates. Silicon Dust recently released new firmware for their ATSC3.0 tuner hardware and also updated many of their apps in the past few days. I upgraded my tuner firmware today, re-scanned channels as was recommended, and now in the guide you have both the ATSC1.x channels and the ATSC3.x channels are listed in the 100s now. you can see below the 102.1 and others which are the ATSC 3.0 channels. Also you can see HEVC which also denotes ATSC3 channels. Channels can also pick this up as well. I have just started testing the newer apps so don't have a lot to report. This update is nice since you can now watch the stable 1.0 channels with Audio support for all clients, but then also test the ATSC3 feeds as well. View attachment 3075729

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do the yellow stars signify?
Yellow stars are just whatever channels you mark as "Favorite" and then depending on your client player configuration, your Guide, channel surfing, and other behavior can use "All channels", just your Favs, just HD channels, etc. All the clients (whether HDHomeRun (siliconDust) or Channels (FancyBits) clients) don't handle Favs exactly the same, but I think every client does support Favorites in some way. A channel can be marked Favorite (Yellow star), nothing (no coloring of star), or Disabled (not sure if this is the official term). When disabled, there is a red X on the channel, and that is good for channels that you may have terrible reception on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Signal GH was recently updated app and I really appreciate the map now showing the symbols of the network to mark channel tower broadcast locations. There is also a large radius indicator on the map that I believe shows the range around your entered address or zip code. Also signal can pick up the new >100 range of HDHomeRun ATSC3 channels and if you pick a tuner capable of that, you can graph it on the display. It may be interesting to graph the signal from an ATSC3 channel on 1 tuner vs the ATSC1.x counterpart channel on another tuner. I don't know if there is any oddities to be expected while doing this, and not all my ATSC 100x channels were showing up in Signal. I plan to do more testing. Update/Edit: I will post some screenshots later of the utility which will be worth 1000 words. Don't have access to the utility from this machine.
Link to Signal GH on iOS App Store: ‎Signal GH on the App Store - Appleapps.apple.com › app › signal-gh

·
Registered
5 Posts
ATSC 3.0 Updates. Silicon Dust recently released new firmware for their ATSC3.0 tuner hardware and also updated many of their apps in the past few days. I upgraded my tuner firmware today, re-scanned channels as was recommended, and now in the guide you have both the ATSC1.x channels and the ATSC3.x channels are listed in the 100s now. you can see below the 102.1 and others which are the ATSC 3.0 channels. Also you can see HEVC which also denotes ATSC3 channels. Channels can also pick this up as well. I have just started testing the newer apps so don't have a lot to report. This update is nice since you can now watch the stable 1.0 channels with Audio support for all clients, but then also test the ATSC3 feeds as well.
mrquitus, wish that firmware came out last month. I returned the ATSC 3.0 tuner as I was canceling my SAT service and did not like the low and delayed audio volume via Channels DVR. Let us know when 3.0 channels start using enhanced features and I might pick up one again.

Did you have a ATSC 1.0 HDhomerun before? How was it's sensitivity? I did not need a pre-amp when I had one TV connected to my ANT. When I tested an Amazon Recast, I added a preamp, but it was on the lowest gain settings. The HDhomerun Quadro, I've needed to turn up the gain quite a bit on the preamp for a clear 4.1(VHF) signal compared to the Recast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mrquitus, wish that firmware came out last month. I returned the ATSC 3.0 tuner as I was canceling my SAT service and did not like the low and delayed audio volume via Channels DVR. Let us know when 3.0 channels start using enhanced features and I might pick up one again.

Did you have a ATSC 1.0 HDhomerun before? How was it's sensitivity? I did not need a pre-amp when I had one TV connected to my ANT. When I tested an Amazon Recast, I added a preamp, but it was on the lowest gain settings. The HDhomerun Quadro, I've needed to turn up the gain quite a bit on the preamp for a clear 4.1(VHF) signal compared to the Recast.
My short answer is that the HDHomeRun tuners have seemed pretty good to me in comparisons to integrated TV tuners I have compared against. Not identical or better, but very comparable. I don't have a lot of real evidence /documentation, but early on with my first HomeRun I did a lot of comparison TV watching on a TV set vs via HDHomeRun and various clients trying to find any differences. The much longer version of my answer is below.

Yes I have the Quatro ATSC1.0 hardware from 2-3 years ago. I have used it quite a bit over the years but never was my only source of TV/programming. I have never required the use an amp/pre-amp from any location over past decades of using OTA, but it has always seemed to help my signal strength /stability without overdriving, as I have never lived too close to towers, and I have generally always used in-attic antennas, but have tested some with outdoor as well to compare.

I have been changing around my # of devices, splitters, antenna locations, etc and haven't done the greatest job keeping up with changes to signal strength, quality, etc. I have definitely compared the HDHomeRun tuners against various TV tuners in past, as well as I could. In a previous location I was using SignalGH a lot to try and figure out while I would get occasional dropouts and glitches on 1 tuner vs another. I moved from a CM preAmp solution to newer ChannelMaster amp a little over a year ago, it seemed to help. I have an unproven theory that LTE and other interference was causing issues. the different amp setup seemed to help bring more stability, but overall I had changed locations multiple times in past 2 years so it is some apples and oranges with my comparisons. I have no experience with Recast and have generally compared HDHomeRun vs TV tuners built into various TV sets. The TV set tuners offer very little feedback, although 1 of my Samsung TV OTA tuners did actually provide #s in one of the menus instead of just "signal bars" which 2 of my TVs only show now. There has been a fair bit of debate about sensitivity of Quatro 4K vs the older tuners and I have not noticed much difference so far in my situation, but others have definitely claimed a bigger difference. Generally speaking I think it is hard to compare ATSC3 vs ATSC1 signals right now, b/c I think the equipment /power can definitely be different? And before the latest firmware it was very hard to tune ATSC1 on the Quatro 4K to compare it to anything else, once it found ATSC3 it would ignore the ATSC1 completely.

Right now I have the following tuners, which are hard to compare with any type of precision
  1. 2019 LG Tuner (C9), (signal bars only AFAIK)
  2. qty 2 TCL (Roku) TV tuners, (signal bars only AFAIK)
  3. Dish Hopper 3 OTA adapter tuner (USB interface to Hopper)
  4. Quatro from 2 -3 years ago
  5. Quatro 4K ATSC3 capable
What I mean by precision are basics like pixelation or audio drops, etc. Signal strength meters are rudimentary. e.g. 3 out of 5 "bars" equals what signal strength / symbol quality for HDHomeRun/ SignalGH ?

I don't have the Samsung integrated TV tuner from 2018-ish any longer to compare with. It had a numerical value IIRC on signal strength buried in the TV menus.

the CM amp model I picked up was similar to this if not identical Outdoor HDTV VHF/UHF Antenna Amplifier/Booster-Channel Master CM 7777HD (CM7777HD)
This unit has LTE and out of band filtering. I kept trying various models of CM pre-Amps thinking I had a bad cable or faulty unit, but finally came to conclusion external factors in Nashville were definitely involved. I can use my same gear at another location with much less LTE/cellular coverage and get great results. Thus I tried the newer amp and it seemed to work better. Wish I had more data points but really hard to quantify random dropouts and pixelation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My short answer is that the HDHomeRun tuners have seemed pretty good to me in comparisons to integrated TV tuners I have compared against. Not identical or better, but very comparable. I don't have a lot of real evidence /documentation, but early on with my first HomeRun I did a lot of comparison TV watching on a TV set vs via HDHomeRun and various clients trying to find any differences. The much longer version of my answer is below.

Yes I have the Quatro ATSC1.0 hardware from 2-3 years ago. I have used it quite a bit over the years but never was my only source of TV/programming. I have never required the use an amp/pre-amp from any location over past decades of using OTA, but it has always seemed to help my signal strength /stability without overdriving, as I have never lived too close to towers, and I have generally always used in-attic antennas, but have tested some with outdoor as well to compare.

I have been changing around my # of devices, splitters, antenna locations, etc and haven't done the greatest job keeping up with changes to signal strength, quality, etc. I have definitely compared the HDHomeRun tuners against various TV tuners in past, as well as I could. In a previous location I was using SignalGH a lot to try and figure out while I would get occasional dropouts and glitches on 1 tuner vs another. I moved from a CM preAmp solution to newer ChannelMaster amp a little over a year ago, it seemed to help. I have an unproven theory that LTE and other interference was causing issues. the different amp setup seemed to help bring more stability, but overall I had changed locations multiple times in past 2 years so it is some apples and oranges with my comparisons. I have no experience with Recast and have generally compared HDHomeRun vs TV tuners built into various TV sets. The TV set tuners offer very little feedback, although 1 of my Samsung TV OTA tuners did actually provide #s in one of the menus instead of just "signal bars" which 2 of my TVs only show now. There has been a fair bit of debate about sensitivity of Quatro 4K vs the older tuners and I have not noticed much difference so far in my situation, but others have definitely claimed a bigger difference. Generally speaking I think it is hard to compare ATSC3 vs ATSC1 signals right now, b/c I think the equipment /power can definitely be different? And before the latest firmware it was very hard to tune ATSC1 on the Quatro 4K to compare it to anything else, once it found ATSC3 it would ignore the ATSC1 completely.

Right now I have the following tuners, which are hard to compare with any type of precision
  1. 2019 LG Tuner (C9), (signal bars only AFAIK)
  2. qty 2 TCL (Roku) TV tuners, (signal bars only AFAIK)
  3. Dish Hopper 3 OTA adapter tuner (USB interface to Hopper)
  4. Quatro from 2 -3 years ago
  5. Quatro 4K ATSC3 capable
What I mean by precision are basics like pixelation or audio drops, etc. Signal strength meters are rudimentary. e.g. 3 out of 5 "bars" equals what signal strength / symbol quality for HDHomeRun/ SignalGH ?

I don't have the Samsung integrated TV tuner from 2018-ish any longer to compare with. It had a numerical value IIRC on signal strength buried in the TV menus.

the CM amp model I picked up was similar to this if not identical Outdoor HDTV VHF/UHF Antenna Amplifier/Booster-Channel Master CM 7777HD (CM7777HD)
This unit has LTE and out of band filtering. I kept trying various models of CM pre-Amps thinking I had a bad cable or faulty unit, but finally came to conclusion external factors in Nashville were definitely involved. I can use my same gear at another location with much less LTE/cellular coverage and get great results. Thus I tried the newer amp and it seemed to work better. Wish I had more data points but really hard to quantify random dropouts and pixelation.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and the extra detail. It actually helped, as my suspicion is also intermittent signal issues; particularly LTE. Of course it's always while recording during primetime. ;) If I have issues, I'm going to get a new preamp with a filter(my preamp is old and no filtering).

I'm just a few weeks into "cord cutting" so hopefully can have some useful feedback in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
  • I have added additional splitter to my config and recently updated tuner firmware, now getting dropouts more noticeable on the ATSC3 feeds. I haven't tried all clients and done a ton of testing yet, or reverted back to my prior config to see if it remedies the dropouts / stutters. Testing with Shield Pro tonight.
    • Getting audio and picture on all ATSC3 feeds I tried.
    • with the new firmware it is nice that I can switch to ATSC 1 channel and verify that on that same equipment, it is not getting same issues.
    • CBS 5.1 ATSC3 channel (with Channels DVR client on Shield) I need to do the stretch picture option (Settings->Playback->Advanced->Stretch Video to Fit option) to get it to fill full screen on my TV, looks perfect after this. I have done this in past with AppleTV channels client as well. There is also another 2nd option on ATV also but only 1 option on Shield.
      • others have posted from other markets for stations that broadcast at 1920x540 that this needs to be done for ATSC3 channels. CBS is the only Nashville broadcaster using this resolution that I have found so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tonight on 17.1 Fox, maybe this has been happening for a while, during 9-1-1 and other programs... it appeared the wrong audio track was playing on the ATSC3 117.1 feed. I checked the ATSC1 17.1 broadcast and it was playing the proper show audio. But on multiple clients I was getting some type of music, like drama theme music or something with no spoken audio in it, on the 117.1 ATSC3 feed. Have not noticed this problem in past. Also there is no guide data for the >100 ATSC3 channels using the Channels [DVR] app. I also removed all my other tuners /splitters from my config to maximize signal strength /quality just as an additional step. Also if you have m1 apple silicon machine you can run the Channels DVR client app directly on your Mac. Several have reported success. It is essentially their iPad app that they cleared to be installed from the App Store on m1 Macs since it works so well. this is nothing to do w/ ATSC3 just another way to consume content.

Update / edit: the new HDHome Run app for Mac (2021-01-05). was testing that just as another step. Audio was not working for multiple ATSC3 channels using that app to play. Also the guide data / program info is showing for the duplicate channels using the HDHomeRun app. So FancyBits will likely need to change something in their config to mirror the channel data somehow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Last night I spent 20 or 30 min watching 2.1 ABC local for both the ATSC 1 and 3 feeds via the new Atsc3 capable Hdhomerun. I used the windows hdhomerun config GUI to watch the signal strength and 2 other quality measures it tracks as well as mbps bandwidth of the stream. I used both the latest Shield (2019 hardware I think) w/ hdhomerun app and channels app, as well as the HdHomerun app for LG TVs (2019 webOS), tried ATV channels app as well. I should note I get 100% strength on every stat for 2.1 ( /102.1 ATSC3) from my attic antenna based on the HDhomerun-config-GUI utility. I was getting a lot of pixelation and stutter on the Atsc3 feed than what I recall when first testing those feeds. I have changed cabling slightly recently, but I have removed some splitters and stuff to try and get max signal strength just to the new tuner. Anyway I am wondering at this point if there have been changes to the broadcast signals, if the newer 2021 firmware update is not as good, or what. I think the other Nashville channels are also not as stable as before, but I was using 2.1 as a test case b/c it is one of the strongest and most stable from my location. I plan to do some additional testing but there are too many hiccups not to notice. Also the testing around the same time on the ATSC1 2.1 broadcast was showing 0 issues of any kind. Sometime around Nov-Dec last year the LG TV app was one of the most stable for ATSC3, but it experiences quite a bit of pixelation in my testing last night. This is just a heads up, I plan to do further testing including back to my original cable config and other tests with various client apps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last night I spent 20 or 30 min watching 2.1 ABC local for both the ATSC 1 and 3 feeds via the new Atsc3 capable Hdhomerun. I used the windows hdhomerun config GUI to watch the signal strength and 2 other quality measures it tracks as well as mbps bandwidth of the stream. I used both the latest Shield (2019 hardware I think) w/ hdhomerun app and channels app, as well as the HdHomerun app for LG TVs (2019 webOS), tried ATV channels app as well. I should note I get 100% strength on every stat for 2.1 ( /102.1 ATSC3) from my attic antenna based on the HDhomerun-config-GUI utility. I was getting a lot of pixelation and stutter on the Atsc3 feed than what I recall when first testing those feeds. I have changed cabling slightly recently, but I have removed some splitters and stuff to try and get max signal strength just to the new tuner. Anyway I am wondering at this point if there have been changes to the broadcast signals, if the newer 2021 firmware update is not as good, or what. I think the other Nashville channels are also not as stable as before, but I was using 2.1 as a test case b/c it is one of the strongest and most stable from my location. I plan to do some additional testing but there are too many hiccups not to notice. Also the testing around the same time on the ATSC1 2.1 broadcast was showing 0 issues of any kind. Sometime around Nov-Dec last year the LG TV app was one of the most stable for ATSC3, but it experiences quite a bit of pixelation in my testing last night. This is just a heads up, I plan to do further testing including back to my original cable config and other tests with various client apps.
I had the HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 for one day and quickly knew it was still a science project and returned the unit and bought the standard ATSC 1.0 Quadro. I see HD did update all the HDhomerun apps and the fixes included ATSC3.0 audio streaming. But looks like the broadcasters still need to work on their ATSC 3.0 transmissions..... :( The very limited time I had the 3.0 tuner, the video quality was sharp and clear. I still need more time on my setup before saying I have a solid baseline(for ATSC 1.0 that is).

5301 - 5320 of 5324 Posts