AVS Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 5435 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you're out of range for most of the UHF ATSC 1.0 signals from Nashville, don't get your hopes up. Even with the move and power increase, they'll still have a smaller contour than the other Nashville UHF stations you previously told us you can't get.
I can get RF 10-30. I’ve cut down a crap ton of trees. Raised the antenna up a bit too.

With all this done I can almost get a solid qam256 PLP1 lock on RF 21. It requires a stronger than 71% signal, and better than 31% quality to get a QAM256/PLP1 lock. Mine comes and goes right now. Can I get 30 PLP1, no. But naturally the lower the frequency the better. I haven't been able to get WTVF since it moved to 36. I was able to get it SOLID pre move, with my antenna lower, and trees in the way too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you're out of range for most of the UHF ATSC 1.0 signals from Nashville, don't get your hopes up. Even with the move and power increase, they'll still have a smaller contour than the other Nashville UHF stations you previously told us you can't get. It's also moving further west to be closer to Nashville, which likely won't help either, like a quick check for McMinnville on RabbitEars shows a worse prediction for their 1000 kW Nashville signal than what it predicts for their current 950 kW signal from Lebanon.
Replying to the edit. ;) It might not come in. Who knows. I got it last night, but I also got WBXX 31 from Clarksville, and later WHNT, and others in Huntsville thanks to Skip. I would trade getting these sub channels for hopes that ATSC 3.0 will use their robust signal for their main channel (even at lower resolution). My Cable TV goes out enough that I could use a dependable backup. But I'm also an old AF guy, 36 (lol). So I like my Home Improvement, and such. So....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Let’s hope so. I’d like to add this to my roster of channels I can get. Too low power now.
Also seems WKRN 27 is acting up today. I checked my feed on RabbitEars and someone in Carthage. It’s down for us both.
Yeah, that's mine. I have 4 feeds.

Carthage, TN-HDHR4K
Carthage, TN Northeast
Carthage, TN - Mainly Used for VHF
Carthage, TN-West

I only get WKRN on the one labeled "Northeast" because there is a hill in the direction of WKRN if I aim west, but with an antenna pointing NE, I am able to get WKRN (and WJFB) bouncing back at me. What it bounces off of? I don't know. By the way, My "4K" and "West" feeds runoff the same antenna.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, that's mine. I have 4 feeds.

Carthage, TN-HDHR4K
Carthage, TN Northeast
Carthage, TN - Mainly Used for VHF
Carthage, TN-West

I only get WKRN on the one labeled "Northeast" because there is a hill in the direction of WKRN if I aim west, but with an antenna pointing NE, I am able to get WKRN (and WJFB) bouncing back at me. What it bounces off of? I don't know. By the way, My "4K" and "West" feeds runoff the same antenna.
Awesome!

I can't aim directly toward WKRN tower either. I have to aim more toward WUXP/WZTV. How high are your antennas, and what antennas do you have? Mine is a CM3020, 20' off the ground.

I also bought the Televes datbossor mix. But it doesn’t work as good as my channel master.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hope it'll be easier to receive than 44 out of Lebanon. I seem to only get that during nighttime propagation. I do pretty good on RF 20 (Fox 17, MyNetwork TV) which comes in pretty good most of the time. WKRN is the one station that comes in for me all of the time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Awesome!

I can't aim directly toward WKRN tower either. I have to aim more toward WUXP/WZTV. How high are your antennas, and what antennas do you have? Mine is a CM3020, 20' off the ground.

I also bought the Televes datbossor mix. But it doesn’t work as good as my channel master.
On the "4K" and "West" feeds, I use a RCA 7-51 for VHF (I know that that antenna is not great for VHF, but it works), and I also use AntennaCraft U8000 8-bay for UHF (Both at just 5 or 6 feet off the ground. They are on the east side of a field.) On the one "Mainly used for VHF", I use a Winegard HD8200U on a hill (badly positioned for Nashville). Most of the times, it picks up WNPT and WSMV pretty good, and on the "Northeast" feed, I use a Channel Master 4221 4-bay antenna at just 4 or 5 feet off the ground. They all use a Philips pre-amp. Don't know the model number off hand. I know that that is not the best pre-amp there is, but it works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the FCC Contour map for WTVF RF 5 translator? I used to be able to get that signal, along with RF 25, before the repack. But as far as I know the translator didn't change. Perhaps it lowered in power? I can't find any FCC docs on the translator, only the main frequency.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Go to the Market Listing on RabbitEars and look at the Nashville list, you'll see all the contours under the "Technical Data" link for each station by clicking on the icons that look like a tower.

Here's the link to the RF 5 contour:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=aad4c3d822da491e8446cf6212b6c0ea&site=3&map=Y

Since it's VHF-lo, it's more susceptible to ambient noise issues. Like a neighbor installing cheap off-brand LED patio lights could affect your VHF-lo reception.

For reference, here's the chart for RF 5 from your live bandscan for the past 3 days:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/render_graph/10815046/tuner1/5/-3days/now

It looks like there was some semi-decent boost activity in your area this morning, since you were also pulling in WNPT's RF 7 signal at around the same time WTVF's RF 5 translator came in, and for a while you were pulling in WEHT from Evansville on RF 12.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's looking like WCTZ-35 ran out of "Cheddar" to air the network Cheddar on its 5th subchannel. I've seen two Time Life 70s music compilation programs in a row.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It looks like HC2's deal for Cheddar was only for a year. The HC2 stations in Dallas and Cleveland dropped them too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go to the Market Listing on RabbitEars and look at the Nashville list, you'll see all the contours under the "Technical Data" link for each station by clicking on the icons that look like a tower.

Here's the link to the RF 5 contour:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=aad4c3d822da491e8446cf6212b6c0ea&site=3&map=Y

Since it's VHF-lo, it's more susceptible to ambient noise issues. Like a neighbor installing cheap off-brand LED patio lights could affect your VHF-lo reception.

For reference, here's the chart for RF 5 from your live bandscan for the past 3 days:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/render_graph/10815046/tuner1/5/-3days/now

It looks like there was some semi-decent boost activity in your area this morning, since you were also pulling in WNPT's RF 7 signal at around the same time WTVF's RF 5 translator came in, and for a while you were pulling in WEHT from Evansville on RF 12.
Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's looking like WCTZ-35 ran out of "Cheddar" to air the network Cheddar on its 5th subchannel. I've seen two Time Life 70s music compilation programs in a row.
HA! I think Cheddar was probably making more, and doing better on YouTube anyway. That's where I watch them. Channel I DON'T understand is TBD. It's aimed at Millennials. But those folks are on their i-devices all day anyway. I'm technically in that generation. But I think and was raised like a Gen X.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sinclair owns TBD so they're pushing it wherever possible on their stations, to the point where they had their shell companies like Howard Stirk and Cunnigham give it the primary slot on some stations after they brought some of their Big 5 affliations in house.

Cheddar is owned by Altice USA, and went through a LOT of changes over the past year. Originally Cheddar was 4 different channels:
Cheddar Business - Their main business channel that cable and sat providers carried and was also available via a subscription on their website and app
Cheddar News - Their secondary streaming news channel that was included with a subscription and is what the HC2 stations carried
Cheddar Top Stories - Their free best of/headlines stream which is what OTT providers like Pluto, Stirr and Xumo carried
CheddarU - Their college news/lifestyle channel that took over the on campus distribution of mtvU.
Last spring they consolidated the Business/News/Top Stories channels into one general Cheddar feed after the stay at home orders hit their studios in NYC and they could no longer produce live programming for multiple channels at the same time. Over the summer they decided to make the one feed permanent and drop the paywall for the live streams on their website and app, so they probably see no need to pay HC2 for OTA distribution anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sinclair owns TBD so they're pushing it wherever possible on their stations, to the point where they had their shell companies like Howard Stirk and Cunnigham give it the primary slot on some stations after they brought some of their Big 5 affliations in house.

Cheddar is owned by Altice USA, and went through a LOT of changes over the past year. Originally Cheddar was 4 different channels:
Cheddar Business - Their main business channel that cable and sat providers carried and was also available via a subscription on their website and app
Cheddar News - Their secondary streaming news channel that was included with a subscription and is what the HC2 stations carried
Cheddar Top Stories - Their free best of/headlines stream which is what OTT providers like Pluto, Stirr and Xumo carried
CheddarU - Their college news/lifestyle channel that took over the on campus distribution of mtvU.
Last spring they consolidated the Business/News/Top Stories channels into one general Cheddar feed after the stay at home orders hit their studios in NYC and they could no longer produce live programming for multiple channels at the same time. Over the summer they decided to make the one feed permanent and drop the paywall for the live streams on their website and app, so they probably see no need to pay HC2 for OTA distribution anymore.
This explains why TBD is primary on their ATSC 3.0 feed for RF 30.
That’s a lot of info. Thanks for explaining.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TBD would've made more sense around a decade or more ago, but like someone mentioned, most in the intended age group prefer to watch that stuff on their own mobile devices. When I viewed it previously, it mostly had blooper type stuff and content from the Fine Brothers. It's more like a waste of space to me. It seems like more wastes of bandwidth are coming with some broadcasters intending to push reality show diginets in the near future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with WKRN (RF 27) today or is it just me?

(WKRN 1.0 today.)

Also I wrote the WKRN chief engineer and asked him about ATSC 3.0. He was very interested in my signals/quality. He also told me they don't plan to use any other modulation schemes other than QAM 16/256. I figured that. I do hope they will use the 16 layer for at the very least a SD or 720P HD version of their main signal once the lighthouse period has ended. Since (to my current knowledge) is the more robust signal, and better for fringe/travel. He asked me to keep him updated, I plan to. Especially as I cut more trees down causing multipath.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update. I've cut EVERY tree that I can see being a problem. It's helped "some". I think the rest will be more height and guy wires. I can get QAM256 from WUXP 21 now. It's a bit flaky, but works. WNAB 30 on QAM256 is still a no-go. I've ordered a Channel Master LTE filter. The antenna is LOS to a Verizon/AT&T Cell tower. So even if it's not on the same band, I'm sure harmonics could be causing issues. Right now my sweet spot for channels is RF 10-21. I do hope this will improve. Some have said it is spring increased solar activity causing more than normal issues. I've sure noticed a change with WKRN. It's here one day, gone the next.

5381 - 5400 of 5435 Posts