AVS Forum banner

5401 - 5420 of 5435 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before you start cutting even the trees you can't see being a problem, could you please post a link to the results of this signal search tool so people here can comment intelligently on what you are trying to do? Thanks.
Do you one better. Here is my HomeRun 4K live scan page.

here is the results from that page too.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Do you one better. Here is my HomeRun 4K live scan page.
here is the results from that page too.
You posted the live scan link a week ago. The point of the signal search is to compare prediction with reality, to suggest what you can possibly improve vs. what you likely cannot.

First, all of your signals except WCTE show "tropo" (click the mileages) for the reception path, meaning that there are more than two terrain obstacles between the transmitter and your antenna. Reception in such situations is problematic and idiosyncratic in terms of antenna location.

Second, your scan shows that in a relative sense, UHF signals from just one tower are out-performing all others compared to the prediction , even those from other nearby towers, such as WPGD and WTVF, transmitting from .3 and .5 miles away, respectively. This suggests that your antenna happens to be positioned very favorably for that particular tower, and that if you want to improve your reception from other Nashville stations, you would probably be better off walking around your property with a smallish UHF antenna to try and find a location better suited to those other stations.

Third, the signal search shows Huntsville signals at strengths comparable to Nashville signals. That may or may not match reality, but you might find a sweet spot on your property where you could get more reliable reception from Huntsville than you currently have from Nashville.

Finally:
Can I just say how ATSC 1.0 is SO bad compared to 3.0. [Reception graphs of WKRN RF 27 and WNAB RF 30 deleted.]
Not really, no. Those two transmitters are 15 miles apart, so it's apples and oranges. You do not have enough data to predict how well you would receive a 3.0 signal from WKRN's location. You might not even get a robust signal from there with your current receive configuration. Worth noting, when Sinclair signals were on reduced power on March 7, before you were on the band scan, you posted that you couldn't even get a lock on the robust PLP from WUXP.

The only halfway fair comparison is between the 3.0 lighthouses and WZTV's 1.0 signal. Even there the directional patterns of the three signals are different, as is the HAAT, but at least they are all on the same tower. And you get WZTV 99% of the time, which means you get all 6 services from it 99% of the time, because that is the nature of 1.0, all or nothing. From the 3.0 lighthouses, you get only 2 of the 6 services 100% of the time, and the others some of the time or not at all.

You might be happy with that, but I think a lot of other people might not be.

So please stop posting how superior 3.0 is to 1.0 for fringe viewers, in multiple forum threads, at AVS and SiliconDust.

You just got LUCKY with the location of the 3.0 lighthouses in your area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You posted the live scan link a week ago. The point of the signal search is to compare prediction with reality, to suggest what you can possibly improve vs. what you likely cannot.

First, all of your signals except WCTE show "tropo" (click the mileages) for the reception path, meaning that there are more than two terrain obstacles between the transmitter and your antenna. Reception in such situations is problematic and idiosyncratic in terms of antenna location.
Thank you. I didn't know I could do that, or get that info. I assume the radius is the curvature of the earth?

Second, your scan shows that in a relative sense, UHF signals from just one tower are out-performing all others compared to the prediction , even those from other nearby towers, such as WPGD and WTVF, transmitting from .3 and .5 miles away, respectively. This suggests that your antenna happens to be positioned very favorably for that particular tower, and that if you want to improve your reception from other Nashville stations, you would probably be better off walking around your property with a smallish UHF antenna to try and find a location better suited to those other stations.

Third, the signal search shows Huntsville signals at strengths comparable to Nashville signals. That may or may not match reality, but you might find a sweet spot on your property where you could get more reliable reception from Huntsville than you currently have from Nashville.
That's a good idea. I have plans to see if my Televes Dat Boss LR Mix might work better in a different location. I can only get Huntsville during skip, sadly.

Not really, no. Those two transmitters are 15 miles apart, so it's apples and oranges. You do not have enough data to predict how well you would receive a 3.0 signal from WKRN's location. You might not even get a robust signal from there with your current receive configuration. Worth noting, when Sinclair signals were on reduced power on March 7, before you were on the band scan, you posted that you couldn't even get a lock on the robust PLP from WUXP.
Looking back that was true for a bit. They were working on the tower/exciter/STL. Later that day signal was back and has been rock solid since then. I can get PLP0(QAM16) from both channels, WUXP, and WNAB. I can only get partial PLP1(QAM256) from WUXP. In fact WUXP is so powerful. I can unplug my preamp and "see" the signals from the 3.0 WUXP. I can't decode them, but the diag tool for the HomeRun4K can see them. Where only WCTE will come in un-amplified.

The only halfway fair comparison is between the 3.0 lighthouses and WZTV's 1.0 signal. Even there the directional patterns of the three signals are different, as is the HAAT, but at least they are all on the same tower. And you get WZTV 99% of the time, which means you get all 6 services from it 99% of the time, because that is the nature of 1.0, all or nothing. From the 3.0 lighthouses, you get only 2 of the 6 services 100% of the time, and the others some of the time or not at all.

You might be happy with that, but I think a lot of other people might not be.

So please stop posting how superior 3.0 is to 1.0 for fringe viewers, in multiple forum threads, at AVS and SiliconDust.

You just got LUCKY with the location of the 3.0 lighthouses in your area.
First half. True. However my goal is to get WKRN, WSMV, and WTVF OTA on 3.0 during/after the next 5 years. Hoping they use their robust signal (QAM16) to carry a lower resolution signal of their main feed. Being best for fringe/mobile.

Second part. I WOULD be happy with that. Right now WKRN, and WTVF 1.0 are so flaky and hit or miss they might as well not be there. WKRN is my mother's favorite channel. So that's been my goal. Getting SOMETHING from the main feed is better than nothing at all or a pixelated mess.

Lastly. ATSC 3.0 is new for me. I've watched tons of videos touting ATSC 3.0 for it's fringe/mobile options that 1.0 CANNOT offer at all unless using mDTV. Sure the sub-channels would be nice. But the fact that I can get anything is what I'm glad for.

ATSC 3.0 IS superior! Even if these stations I got in 3.0 were 1.0, they'd likely be in and out for the lack of error correction.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One last thing. I am doubtful Nashville would do this. But they CAN have a mesh style transmitter network with ATSC 3.0. If they put that in Woodbury, I would be set. It’s Woodbury mountain that’s the killer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Based on this map, it looks like Nashville is within your DMA: https://tbh.lerctr.org/~ekb/TVMarkets/Maps/tennessee.gif. I'm not sure how much effort they would put into guaranteeing that you would get their OTA signal since there are options like cable, satellite, and streaming. If I was a betting man, my bet would be Murfreesboro getting a repeater rather than Woodbury to make sure their footprint extends out to their eastern boundary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Based on this map, it looks like Nashville is within your DMA: https://tbh.lerctr.org/~ekb/TVMarkets/Maps/tennessee.gif. I'm not sure how much effort they would put into guaranteeing that you would get their OTA signal since there are options like cable, satellite, and streaming. If I was a betting man, my bet would be Murfreesboro getting a repeater rather than Woodbury to make sure their footprint extends out to their eastern boundary.
If they were to make that repeater powerful, even in Murfreesboro. It would do a lot! I can get WHTN (shown below) solidly! They NEED a repeater somewhere. Murfreesboro is a great area. But if it's just an LP/CD station then it might NOT help me more. But you're exactly right. I'm in the Nashville DMA. I shouldn't have to rely on bounce from the troposphere to get a signal. But I still hold out for QAM16 on 3.0. Even if the signals are Tropo, like WNAB is. I can STILL get it solid for the robust signal. Time will tell as usual. Tennessee just has so MANY mountains that they even need repeaters close to Nashville proper. 3.0 IS the future. If done right rural/fringe folks like me, will be walking on cloud nine in the next 5 years.

(McMinnville, TN-HDHR4K to WHTN (MURFREESBORO, TN)
Distance: 44.4 miles
RF Channel: 16
Virtual Channel: 39
RCAMSL: 1421 feet
ERP: 900 kW )

-----

Here is a topo map for WNAB. The Green line is the terrain. The dotted red is LOS, the blue is the signal.

Here is WKRN by comparison.

Remember I can get a SOLID lock on QAM16 from WNAB 30. I cannot get a lock from WKRN but sporadic times.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Post splitter amp? So I am using a Televes preamp/power injector power my antennas. (I swap between a Channel Master 3020, and a Televes Dat Boss LR Mix). If I connect more than one output to the amp injector inside, I lose enough gain to cause QAM256 lock on 3.0 channels. Sometimes all out loss on 1.0 stations. This second feed runs to a Sangean HDR18. So it's not a low end radio. Does anyone know of a after amp splitter or something to fix the gain loss once the signal leaves the preamp injector?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Does anyone know of a after amp splitter or something to fix the gain loss once the signal leaves the preamp injector?
You don't have any low band TV worth chasing, so don't use a splitter, use an HLSJ:

TV on the high side, FM on the low.

Please read also Detroit thread discussion.

You can do the power injection on the low side, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You don't have any low band TV worth chasing, so don't use a splitter, use an HLSJ:

TV on the high side, FM on the low.

Please read also Detroit thread discussion.

You can do the power injection on the low side, too.
Thanks man! I might need a notch amp now lol. Because Nashville decided to use WKRN RF 27 on south Nashville, and the rest middle, to north Nashville. So my Televes is aimed toward WKRN exactly. Then the CM3020 is aimed toward north (tower farm). As it is, it's either or (antenna input wise).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Weird update. My mothers car is right below, and in the path for WKRN. It turns out her car is either helping boost the signal from WKRN, or more likely blocking multipath. Because went she left, I lost WKRN totally. RF is strange!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone else having issues getting WCTE? I can't get anything. Normally I could get the channel with just a paperclip out the window. I'm trying to diagnose if it's my antenna or their transmitter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is horrible. I literally could put a wire out a window and get it. I'm LOS. But I am wondering if they are changing transmitter locations. As you can see I have a great carrier signal, but nothing to decode/on it.

WSMV, RF 10 (67 miles away) by comparison

·
Registered
62 Posts
WCTE doesn't have any applications on file with the FCC that would allow them to change locations.
I bet they’re running off their lower powered AUX site. Since I was a kid in the late 80s-90s WCTE was always the channel I could watch anywhere. Even after the DTV conversation, it was the channel I could always count on getting. Way before I could even sniff Nashville stations. So they must be having issues with their main transmitter. Perhaps from the storms last night? I'm getting near 100% signal strength, but no data.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Or this might be part of the issue. "
WCTE PBS is currently off the air on DirecTV due to a fiber problem. Our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to be back up quickly. To watch the WCTE PBS live stream visit https://video.wcte.tv/livestream/
"

·
Registered
355 Posts
Or this might be part of the issue. "
WCTE PBS is currently off the air on DirecTV due to a fiber problem. Our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to be back up quickly. To watch the WCTE PBS live stream visit https://video.wcte.tv/livestream/
"
Well, if it is, then I don't have a problem with it then.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know when WNAB will get the power increase from 510kW to 725kW? I can get a semi solid QAM256 lock on WUXP 21. But they use 1000kW. I know 215kW increase probably won't get me a QAM256 lock. But it would help. It would be great if they went to 1000kW like their sister stations.

5401 - 5420 of 5435 Posts