AVS Forum banner

5421 - 5435 of 5435 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You're confused. That modification filing for WNAB was to decrease the maximum power of their post-repack RF 30 facility from 725 kW to 510 kW in order to change their directional pattern to cover areas north of Nashville better. Like under the old 725 kW pattern areas to the north would have only gotten 39.02 kW, under their final 510 kW pattern areas to the north now get 122.45 kW

This would have been their pattern at 725kW:
https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern...916267d43b01628782d4ff76de&rotation=0&erp=725

This is their pattern at 510 kW:
https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern...9172582c1701725c94c7e205d4&rotation=0&erp=510

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're confused. That modification filing for WNAB was to decrease the maximum power of their post-repack RF 30 facility from 725 kW to 510 kW in order to change their directional pattern to cover areas north of Nashville better. Like under the old 725 kW pattern areas to the north would have only gotten 39.02 kW, under their final 510 kW pattern areas to the north now get 122.45 kW

This would have been their pattern at 725kW:
https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern...916267d43b01628782d4ff76de&rotation=0&erp=725

This is their pattern at 510 kW:
https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern...9172582c1701725c94c7e205d4&rotation=0&erp=510
Wow. That’s a shame. I guess the FCC limited their power output / range, so they had to reduce power to change their beam pattern?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Think I figured out why WCTE won't stay locked on my CM3020. Although I'm not getting a lock, the signal from WCKV-LD from Clarksville might be throwing some error data that the tuner can't filter out over WCTE. This was NOT an issue before I clear cut a path toward NW (Nashville). It's also not an issue on my lower Televes antenna. This is obviously a guess. But the fact I see 100% SS, fluctuating SQ, something is throwing it off. I checked AL too. WFIQ in Florence could be the factor too. I'm too close to WCTE to have this many drops outs, and WCKV-LD, and WFIQ is too far away to even blip on the info. But, maybe, just maybe they are interfering with each other because of the new changes I made.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Finally am able to get WKRN fairly stable. The way is a bit odd. Using the Televes Dat Boss LR Mix. 8 FEET off the ground, and 62 MILES away, (1000 ft above sea level). I've only had a few minor drop-outs. Otherwise it's been very stable. I've ordered another HD HomeRun (HDHR3) for WKRN only. I'm still using the CM3020 for the other channels I can receive and ATSC 3.0 with the HDHR4K. WCTE is still giving me issues. I'm not sure if the trees are causing it or what. Shame because (if shown), I want to record the Smithville Fiddlers Jamboree in July.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone else having decoding/symbol quality from WSMV tonight? My symbol quality is all over the place while Signal Strength and Quality is ok

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I'm back to moving the Televes again. I've tried so many locations today. Dozens. The signal is weaker anytime I go higher with the antenna. There's a sweet spot area. But as of now I can get a signal, have fair signal quality, but cannot decode the symbols.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I swapped physical tuners from the HDHR3 to the HDHR5-4K. That seemed to fix the issues I was having getting a more stable lock, and more multipath rejection. Does anyone have the HDHR5-2US? If so could they let me know how it handles multipath being it's not a 3.0 tuner. But it is the latest generation of the tuner series as far as 1.0 tuners go? I think the HDHR3 might just not be as good at filtering multipath.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anyone else having decoding (Symbol) issues with WSMV tonight? I can't get it to decode on either of my tuners (HR3, HR5-4K). @NashDigie
I, myself, am having a hard time with WSMV. I haven't been able to receive it solidly. It has been pretty much out for the past two weeks, but it is something wrong with my antenna, coax, or preamp and not about the signal itself. Tomorrow, I am thinking of trying to find out what it is causing it to do that. On your end, it might be some interference. It could be WBIR out of Knoxville. It also broadcasts on channel 10. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. Sorry for not being much help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I, myself, am having a hard time with WSMV. I haven't been able to receive it solidly. It has been pretty much out for the past two weeks, but it is something wrong with my antenna, coax, or preamp and not about the signal itself. Tomorrow, I am thinking of trying to find out what it is causing it to do that. On your end, it might be some interference. It could be WBIR out of Knoxville. It also broadcasts on channel 10. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. Sorry for not being much help.
I didn't think about adjacent channel interference. Thanks. WSMV as far as I know was ok prior to yesterday. I am having alot of early morning Skip today. Huntsville mostly. I wish I could get/keep WTVF RF 5. I perfer VHF channels. With the UHF band shrinking to LTE/5G, it's more common for "near" by stations to cause interference I guess. Good luck with your antenna work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I didn't think about adjacent channel interference. Thanks. WSMV as far as I know was ok prior to yesterday. I am having alot of early morning Skip today. Huntsville mostly. I wish I could get/keep WTVF RF 5. I perfer VHF channels. With the UHF band shrinking to LTE/5G, it's more common for "near" by stations to cause interference I guess. Good luck with your antenna work.

As you can see, found out what it was. It was a connector combining two coax cables. After fixing the connector, it came in fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice work. I'm still having night time issues with WSMV. The antenna is direct to the tuner, a HDHR3. Works fine during the day most of the time. So its strange.

·
Registered
231 Posts
RaggedEdge, those graphs come from the program used for HD Homerun tuners over the RabbitEars Bandscan network. You can see mine here and then click on call letters to see the graphs for that particular station>>>

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

5421 - 5435 of 5435 Posts