AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching The Island

There's a scene where the two main charaters are supposedly playing xbox. And there playing using there body as the controller for a fighting game of sorts.... So was NATAL a dream back when the movie was made, or is it inspired by the creators of the movie? Or maybe theres no connection.

According to IMDB The Island came out in 2005

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
There is a scene in Total Recall where Sharon Stone is practicing tennis with a hologram and it comments on her perfect form. This idea existed long before 2005.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/18157733

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Activator

... back in 93.

Yeah, the idea's pretty old. And there's been gaming tech doing this for over a decade. I remember seeing a fighting game (I think it was a Tekken game) in the arcades with a motion detection camera.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/18157725

I don't doubt the idea is new, but the fact that two main characters were playing xbox (there's xbox logos all over the place) makes me wonder if microsoft has had NATAL in mind for quite some time now

Heres a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q5bb_lRh4c

An XBox turned into a robot in Transformers. I don't think that means that Microsoft has XBox transformers in the works.

To paraphrase Freud: Sometimes a paid movie tie-in is simply a paid movie tie-in.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/18159682

Unlikely, no one watched The Island.

Correction: No one who watched it watched it again.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolbi-wan /forum/post/18159730

i watched it because scarlett was in it. :d

+1

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not great IMO, but a pretty good movie... and if you have ever read "The Road Ahead" by Bill Gates, you would know that a lot of the "new" stuff that comes from them was envisioned 20+ years ago.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog /forum/post/18162722

Not great IMO, but a pretty good movie... and if you have ever read "The Road Ahead" by Bill Gates, you would know that a lot of the "new" stuff that comes from them was envisioned 20+ years ago.

Well I think that should be a foregone conclusion. I'd be worried if R&D wasn't that far ahead, at least in the conceptual stage. Heck look at the military. Who knows how far ahead they are right now in black projects? I'm sure MS already has a pretty fleshed out roadmap for where they expect the market to be in 10-20 years. Now if only I could take a peek.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/18166293

Yeah, you can't quite give Josh Baskin credit for the Amazon Kindle, but the idea existed before even then.

Nice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.