AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George has lost his freakin' mind !!! Natalie Portman will appear in the Return of the Jedi dvd when it is finally released ...

George Lucas spoke with "E! News Daily" where he was asked the question of why C-3PO doesn't recognise as Vader? Lucas's answer was exactly what many fans were guessing but at least now its confirmed: "Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that".

The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumors that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'.

Put Natalie into Jedi? What the hell ... I hope this is some sort of flashback or something, how else could he possibly put her into Jedi and have it work? Even a flashback is iffy ...

Anyone have any theories?

This is just a bad idea. It's one thing to put Jabba The Hut into Star Wars because at least Harrison Ford had done a scene with Jabba that was ultimately cut and Jabba was at least referenced in the film, but to put Natalie into Jedi is just not going to work. I don't care how you cut it, my mind will not allow a real actor from 2005 to be put into a movie from 1983 when Natalie was probably 2 years old and have it be believeable. My mind is going to say "she doesn't belong here" the minute I see her come on screen. It's not like she could have any kind of interaction with any of the characters from 1983 except maybe C-3PO or maybe Jimmy Smits in newly shot scenes! Plus she is never referenced!! Ughh!! George has simply lost his marbles.

This bit of news makes the whole "never release the original trilogy in it's original form" even more frustrating!!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I suppose it would be possible to intercut a brief shot of Padme when Leia says that she remembers her mother.

Another thought, one I don't like, is that she might be included in the shot of Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin's ghosts at the end.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember her mentioning her mother. I remember her mentioning her father in Star Wars and that's it.

Oh lord Joe, you might be right !! He's going to stick her in with the ghosts!!! That's the only place that might actually make some sense ... boy is that a bad idea though. Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!! Why not take it one step further ... get rid of the older Anakin ghost and put in Hayden & Natalie as the younger, happier couple!!! Maybe her and the Anakin ghost will hold hands!!! Lord please let it end ... my memories are being tarnished !!! Whoa is me !!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I, personally, have the definitive LD box so I got the originals in the best form, and will be glad to see more integrated together trilogies, let Lucas add effects up the ass like in the first 3 so they all look the same heh.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I haven't seen "Jedi" for a while, but I recall a scene on Endor where Luke asks Leia if she remembers her mother and she says a few short things about her being beautiful. She asks Luke why he asked and he says that he didn't remember his mother at all. I'm planning to transfer "Jedi" to DVD tomorrow, so I will be watching it again :)

I too am looking forward to seeing the new versions. The definitive collection on LD looks great, but I would still like to have the originals in HD one of these days, I hope the LDs won't be the best version of the original trilogy to be released.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joekun
Another thought, one I don't like, is that she might be included in the shot of Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin's ghosts at the end.
I think you're right (fortunately or unfortunately), because in the big picture, it would be inconsistent to see the ghosts of the past in the grand finale of ROTJ and not show the mother.

Flexx

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right again Joe ... I remember that scene. Maybe they could have a little 3 or 4 year old Princess Leia playing with Padme and insert those shots in as quick flashbacks. This is all going to be very interesting ... but I'm still against it :D

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I thought the ghosts had to be JEDI -- and specifically, Jedi who's bodies vanished because of their peculiar relationship with the Force. Obi-Wan and Yoda vanished physically at death. Qui-Gon did not. Padme isn't even a Jedi. It would make NO sense for her to appear there. A flashback is really the only thing I can see that might work (not that I'm for it).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really don't like the idea of it at all. It's funny, because the last time I saw Episode 2, I was thinking of the things that make the Star Wars films stand out, specifically different directing techniques that Lucas uses that give his films a certain "feel". One of the first things that I thought of, was how he never (at least in the Star Wars films) uses any type of flashback sequences. He always eluded to many different things that happened in the past, but you never actually saw any of it. Not that I am against flashbacks, but I am happy with Star Wars not using them, and I would be happy if none got inserted into the previous films.

I don't have a problem with touching up films or adding some special effects here or there, but I think he is starting to get to the point where he is overworking the previous films, and I think that will tarnish the effect they have as cultural icons.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Did R2's "memory erasing" also include his forgetting how to fly??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did they erase Ben kenobi's memory as well as he seems to have no recollection of C3P0 or R2D2. Senile old man.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mconroy
Did they erase Ben kenobi's memory as well as he seems to have no recollection of C3P0 or R2D2. Senile old man.
Ben never owned them.

He hardly looks at them in the new films. For him a droid is a droid.

As for R2D2 not flying. Has it ever occurred to you that he has been smashed, bashed and almost destroyed half a dozen times. So they did have to replace a lot of parts over time. :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
There is such a thing as RAM and ROM and HD storage of which you are possible well aware.

Wiping your HD does not affect what is written in silicon.

This is a bad idea, very bad. Why not splice crap into all three films? Ridiculous.

T.

·
Registered
283 Posts
THE MOVIES ARE FINE, GEORGE.

WE LIKE THEM THE WAY THEY ARE, GEORGE.

LEAVE THEM ALONE, GEORGE.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The release of the OT on DVD is still 3 years away. There's plenty of time for him to change his mind, provided the HUGE fanbase makes their voices heard. He released Episode I on DVD because of consumer demand despite his policy of no Star Wars DVDs at all until Episode III is done. Episode II is scheduled for DVD release only 6 months after its theatrical debut. So much for the "no DVD" policy.

The man can still change his mind. We just need to let him know how important it is to us.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I for one would LOVE to see Portman in the Jedi flick. I think that maybe a scene of her breastfeeding - from the babies point of view - would be a nice addition to the "uncut racy international version" of the movie.

While we're at it, let's add another 20 or so minutes of Carrie Fisher in her Jabba's love slave outfit...

Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
originaltrilogy.com - Join the effort to bring the unaltered Star Wars trilogy to DVD in 2005
thirdkind, I *love* the sentiment behind your website. Most of the changes that Lucas made in the SEs I had no problem with.

Greedo firing first, though...it completely changed the dynamic of Han Solo...reducing the significance of the changes his character goes through.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
No, the warranty runs out on the parts, that's the official statement by Lucas. :p

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aslagle

thirdkind, I *love* the sentiment behind your website. Most of the changes that Lucas made in the SEs I had no problem with.

Greedo firing first, though...it completely changed the dynamic of Han Solo...reducing the significance of the changes his character goes through.
Thanks :) I refuse to watch the New Hope SE laserdisc I own just because of that one scene. Thank God for the Definitive Collection. Too many side flips and disc swaps though, so I need to pick up the "Faces" discs.

Most of the other changes aren't so bad, but I still prefer the true originals. If Lucas released two separate DVD box sets for both the OT and the super-duper SEs, I'd probably buy both.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.