AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I'm a new member to the forum, and just bought an HDTV (Samsung 42 DLP 1080i/720p Projection TV) about a month ago during all the holiday sales. After working for the National Geographic Channel for a couple of months I wanted to see the full potential of the programming I was part of. The HD channel was launched about a year ago during our five year anniversary and is a simulcast of our non-HD channel. Since we crossed the one year mark, I wanted to do some research outside of the numbers I see everyday and hear some real feedback from real HD viewers. What are your thoughts on the channel - have you seen it? Would it be better if we didn't simulcast our non-HD channel and aired different shows? If you haven't seen the channel, do you have an urge to? I would really like to get an idea of what a HD enthusiast really thinks about the channel. Also if you have any questions about the channel I can try to answer those too.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I loved the SD channel when I was with D* in '04 -'05. When I went back to E*, my Silver package didn't include NGHD.
Rumor has it E* will be offering NGHD for all HD subscribers next month. I hope that is true, because I really enjoyed the SD channel, and seeing it in HD will be a real treat.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I get the NGHD via E* on a 622. I have watched the channel and I like it's content. I have noticed that I do not watch it anymore because the refresh cycle for new shows is slow. I was able to see most of the of shows that interested me in the first 3 months. The only 1 show I keep on coming back for more is The Dog Whisperer. I don't care if its simulcast or not as long as it is true HD Content. There is still a lot of upconverted content but I guess it takes time to build up a good library.

PQ wise I would say it is not the best of my HD channel lineup. But maybe E* has something to do with it.

I find that this channel has more scientific shows compared to its peers.

I like

The Dog Whisperer

Naked Science

Final Report

Exxplorer

BTW, Welcome to AVS

·
Registered
624 Posts
We have a had NGCHD for a couple of months on Comcast and this is one of my favorite non-sports channels. I especially like "Seconds From Disaster", "Science of The Bible," and "The Final Report." And I have watched a few of "Explorer" espisodes that were of interest to me. Being an amature photographer, the technical and artistic content of the HD programming lives up to my expecations of anything associated with National Geographic.

-- Jim

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
I would like more shows in HD, it seems every time I put it on there is a upconverted broadcast showing. I kinda like the idea of a separate HD channel, at least you know when you put it on it will be in HD. This is how Discovery Home Theater operates and wouldn't mind if you followed their example. As for PQ it could be a little better, not up there with the best but not the worst either. I know I might be a little tough but I'm being honest. However I do greatly appreciate you coming on to this forum and asking for our opinions because it does show how serious you are and must be commended for your efforts and wish you and NGHD all the best.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy /forum/post/0

I get the NGHD via E* on a 622. I have watched the channel and I like it's content.

....StarChoice has included Nat Geographic HD as one of their no extra charge "Essentials"....

Overall, a nice bonus!

·
Registered
996 Posts
National Geographic is one of my favorite channels.

I recently switched from Time Warner because they could not get this channel or even let me know it was coming anytime soon.

With "Dish" National Geographic is set on my favorites list.

Just because a channel is in HD does not mean it gets on my channel favorites.

The station must have interesting content.

I love Naked Science and programs where people are searching for historical items and places.

Keep up the great work.

Glad to have you here on AVS.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames /forum/post/0

Would you know if there are any plans in the near future for Cablevision in NY to carry NGHD?

I wouldn't hold my breath for Cablevision adding any new HD channels soon. If you are located in any of the Long Island towns that have approved tv franchises for Verizon FIOS, I would switch to FIOS. They are already carrying NGHD, and with the superior bandwith they have, are more likely to add many more HD channels than Cablevision.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been with D* for almost a year now and no new HD channels added. I was promised the sun moon and stars in HD when I signed up (a friend just signed with them and they're handing him the same b.s. they gave me -- "By the end of the year we'll have a hundred hd channels!" etc.). Now there's NGHD available and D* won't offer it. Perfect. Buy cheap, sell dear, and promise 'em anything. Can anyone say false advertising?

·
Registered
547 Posts
In my area, system Comcast of NJ II(Union), Comcast isn't offering NGHD yet. Comcast offers some NGHD programming via On-Demand, and the ones I've watched, I liked quite a bit, the one about a big earthquake in LA and another one that I forgot. I am looking forward to having NGHD added to my lineup eventually.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
So far i've liked everything on it, and the quality of the shows is very good.

Some might disagree, but the only show I can't stand is "Dog Whisperer", and the all day marathons turn me away from the channel when I see them running it non-stop.

Other then that, two thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I currently have D* and have admittedly never watched NG. If it were to be picked up as an HD channel, heck yeah I would watch it! Especially if it were to come as an MPEG 4 channel.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Put it on Insight Communications in Illinois!

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoxyz /forum/post/0

I wouldn't hold my breath for Cablevision adding any new HD channels soon. If you are located in any of the Long Island towns that have approved tv franchises for Verizon FIOS, I would switch to FIOS. They are already carrying NGHD, and with the superior bandwith they have, are more likely to add many more HD channels than Cablevision.

I am in a town where FIOS is available, but since FIOS still doesn't carry MSG-HD and FSNY-HD, I just couldn't make the switch. It would be too much to give up both Knicks and Islanders games to gain NGHD. Cablevision has a pretty good lineup of HD channels, I'm surprised they aren't quick to add more such as NGHD.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.