Studio and Year: Disney - 2004
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 131 Minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English 5.1 uncompressed PCM, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Subtitles: English SDH, French, and Spanish
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Jon Voight, Diane Kruger, Sean Bean, Harvey Kietel, Justin Bartha, Christopher Plummer
Directed by: Jon Turtletaub
Music by: Trevor Rabin
Written by: Jim Kouf, Cormac & Maryann Wibberly

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 20, 2008

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for having this new section and special thanks to Ralph as well. I love your breakdown with the different categories for the audio and video. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
What an excellent idea... Ralph, could you maybe start a sticky thread for general feedback to maybe set up some guidlines for members ranking?

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings,

Thanks very much to you both....

I will take care of that Shamus.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Nice job. Thanks Ralph.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Hi Ralph,

PCM audio had a constant bit depth of 6.9 mbps or 4.6 Mbps ? Please confirm.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/13847248

Hi Ralph,

PCM audio had a constant bit depth of 6.9 mbps or 4.6 Mbps ? Please confirm.

Greetings,

Thanks lgans316 ! I made this correction when this review was posted on my previous site but didn't correct in my copy so it was accidently carried over. Thanks for catching it ! (again
)

Regards,

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I agree, the breakdown is excellent and much appreciated!

·
Registered
827 Posts
The only question I have, being new to the 'BluRay' world coming from the HD-DVD side, is what "BD" platform 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 does this disc (or any BluRay Disc reviewed) need for full features and/or minimum play back?

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greetings,

Hi David,

Currently there are only a few discs that require anything higher than profile 1.0 for full feature access. They are past releases which I have not reviewed on this site.

Unless otherwise indicated any of the discs reviewed require nothing higher than 1.0.

I will be sure to include that info though don't worry.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hmmmn, don't I know you from somewhere, Ralph?

(Sorry, inside joke).

Great job on the review and I look forward to more, as well as catching up with the others I haven't read yet.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC /forum/post/13857865

Hmmmn, don't I know you from somewhere, Ralph?

(Sorry, inside joke).

Great job on the review and I look forward to more, as well as catching up with the others I haven't read yet.

Greetings,

Great to see you around Mike ! I look forward to seeing moreof you here...

Regards,

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a great idea, not to mention that the reviews I have read so far seem to be the most accurate I have read to date of all the professional reveiws. Doing a great job!!! I really love the section of "My Take", it is very original and really gives me a good idea of weather or not I would be interested in the movie itself.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggle /forum/post/13859765

This is a great idea, not to mention that the reviews I have read so far seem to be the most accurate I have read to date of all the professional reveiws. Doing a great job!!! I really love the section of "My Take", it is very original and really gives me a good idea of weather or not I would be interested in the movie itself.

Greetings,

Excellent. Thank you very much for the feedback...

Regards,

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
PCM audio had a constant bitrate of 6.9 mbps

Hi Ralph,

Please correct this typo.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/13920203

Hi Ralph,

Please correct this typo.

Actually the Disney guys got it right this time with the box. The Bitrate was 6.9 on my PS3. It sounds good.

Or were you being cynical?

NT1 was a little underwhelming in the PQ department. I like grain. But for some reason I found it bothersome. NT2 is reference all the way though.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Thanks buddy for the confirmation and pardon me Ralph.

There were quite a number of Disney Blu-rays with 24-bit misprints. Though this one had it too. My copy is yet to be shipped from amazon but I am keeping my PQ expectations low on NT-1 after watching HD broadcast.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I'll take anything over the SD DVD for PQ on NT1 because I like the movie and the price was right so I preordered. Watched some of my copy again last night with the SD DVD to refresh my memory and I have the same opinion that the quality isn't very good at all.

Hopefully I'll get the BD soon from Amazon.

BTW, 86 is what M&C got and I'm liking the quality of that over the SD DVD.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Watched it last night and I was right that I'd take this PQ over the SD DVD. On the bigger but lesser quality of the two displays I have, I'd give this 4.0 for PQ. It was not distracting or limiting my viewing expereince of the movie at all and it is a few notches below top BDs. I want to watch it on my Panny plasma display though.

The sound? Now this was a big surprise! I'd have to give this 4.5. I thought to myself throughout while listening it was very well done. I'd bump up Ralph's opinion by another half point for both clarity/detail and also for the dialogue reproduction rating.

2 hours well spent. Run, don't walk if you like this movie! On the fence and never saw it? Well rent it I suppose as this is an easy get at Blockbuster. My local store got 5 copies and more people were renting the second movie which I suppose should be expected.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts