AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I have had significant problems in achieving native resolution on my NEC50MP2. I also own the Faroudja 1366 x 768 NRS for plasma display. Despite the RGB connection, I always have 1024 x 768 resolution, as if the display sees 768 and decides on this resolution. I found out from the Faroudja technical support person, Michael Pearce, that if the NEC50MP2 RGB select is chosen as "Wide 1" rather than "Ato" you can achieve almost native resolution (1360 x 768). I am missing a few pixels, but I am extremely happy because the picture, especially on standard dishnetwork signal, significantly improves and reveals much clarity even on CNN and local channel broadcasts (non-HD). I am sending this out so that NEC50MP2 owners out there can try this simple trick to improve screen resolution and picture quality.

BTW, I have also tried the Pixel Perfect card on my PC, running Windows 2000 and using the DVI output from the video card to the DVI input of the NEC50MP2. I was also able to achieve native resolution (1366x 768) when I play a DVD on my PC. However, the NRS is better because it allows me to improve regular TV on satellite.

cchckc

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Do a search on this,

Most likely that you were given an incorrect resolution on the NRS. Although it claims to have 1366x768 - that is most likely not the actual resolution it is producing.

NRS is not the best scaler for achieving native resolution on plasmas...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have the same "issue" with a NEC MP1 61 inch plasma. My output is set to 1366x768 from a CenterStage CS-2. The NEC shows the resolution as 1024x768. I changed the setting to WIDE1 on the plasma and now the NEC shows 1360x765 / 1360x768.

i have tried a custom resoultion out from the CS-2 of 1368x768 with the same results.

i would not suspect your line scaler.

i have been told to try a DVI cable as well as change to a VGA breakout cable. Right now i run VGA to VGA. For now i am going to stay with what i have unless a 50ft DVI cable is certified.

i suspect the NEC 50 and NEC 61 will have similar results.

i continue to play with my CS-2 and NEC to determine the best results.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Fellas,

You always need to have the plasma set to FULL.

Regarding native resolution, you need to use the timing as described in your manuals in order to achieve native resolution!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've been trying a Nec 42VP4. It has an extended set of options regarding picture adjustments compared to the MP3. :)

In the RGB select mode it specifies what type of mode to choose for a specified type of signal. You can choose 6 different modes.

This plasma has a resolution of 853*480.

If you input 852*[email protected] you should select RGB mode Wide1. Otherwise the image will be compressed horizontally.

If you input 848*[email protected] you must choose Wide2. Otherwise, same as above.

You should choose DTV for an 480p signal.

When screen mode is set to full, each signal is converted to 853*480 except for the above mentioned 852/848*480 resolutions. With these the picture will be displayed in the original resolution (no scaling?)

I guess (but I'm not sure) that the closest you can get to native resolution on this plasma is 852*480.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ofer:

The plasma screen was set to full, but the RGB select is "Wide 1". This allows the NEC to display "1360x768" under the information menu. Are you saying that the plasma is displaying the actual resolution incorrectly?

Faroudja is also making the NRS with DVI output (NRS-DVI). UNfortunately, this is not backward compatible with NRS (i.e. no upgrade). Anybody has experience with NRS-DVI from Faroudja?

cchckc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here the NEC was set to FULL, The WIDE1, WIDE2, and DTV, etc are different settings from FULL or NORMAL.

Thanks for the tip on the WIDE1. My NEC manual also speaks to which one to use for which type of input.

I have mine set to WIDE1 for RGB right now and had it set to DTV when I was sending it 480P.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Regarding the Faroudja - I would wait until there's actual evidence that it can display native rate using DVI. This is not an easy thing to do and I strongly suspect they'll have lots of problems with it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BlackTieC5:

As I understand it, CS-2 has DVI output. Does it achieve native resolution with a DVI cable?

cchckc

·
Registered
105 Posts
In one of my question Erik Garci suggested the following for my situation:

--------------------------------------------------------

MP4 has a native resolution of 1024x768 (XGA), so it may be better to use 480p DVI output and then have the MP4 scale once from 480p to 1024x768, instead of performing two scaling steps (first in the player from 480p to 720p, and again in the NEC from 720p to 1024x768).

------------------------------------------------------

I was planning to use the new Bravo D1's DVI output to MP4 at 720p. Is there any other combination to get the best result?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Question to NEC Tech Suport:

I am trying to achieve 1365x768 input resolution from an external Focus

Enhancement CenterStage CS-2 line scaler. Right now the line scaler is

set to scale to 1366x768 but the NEC plasma states the resolution is

1024x768 under the Information display.

Response from NEC Tech Support:

The plasma may be "thinking" that the signal input's resolution is 1024 x

768 instead of 1366 x 768 due to the signal timings &/or polarity. When you are sending the plasma the 1366 x 768 signal from your scaler, what does the plasma report for the Horizontal & Vertical signal timings & polarity?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.