AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the native resolution of SONY's 36" XBR400 or new 450 Wega TVs. I have the HD100 but no HD display. Considering purchasing the XBR but concerned about loosing resolution with a 1080i input. Would also appreciate opinions of those that have either of these sets in regards to viewing HD on them.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The vertical resolution of the 36XBR400/450 is 480 scan lines from a 480p source, 960 scan lines from a 480i source, or 1080 scan lines from a 1080i source. The horizontal resolution is not so easily stated, but is probably limited by the number of arpeture grille slits in the set (these are the slits that the electron beams pass through to illuminate the R, G or B phosphors). You can measure the horizontal distance between like-coloured phosphor lines (ie, Blue to Blue) and divide it into the width of the screen to guestimate the horizontal resolution. I've heard it said that it works out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 to 800 horizontally across the face of the tube.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On the Sony 36XBR400 the horizontal resolution across the face of the tube is 721 lines, according to Gary Merson in an article in Widescreen Review, Issue #41.

The set is capable of 1080 scan lines but the true vertical resolution is lower (not supplied by Sony) because of scan line overlap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well:

That is exactly my set up; the 36XBR400 & SAT-HD100 using canare component cables(in my opinion the best cables)

I think you will be Very happy with the super sharp video resolution of the XBR, remember that in order to get the best video quality possible you need to use some decent cables, in my set up I use canare cables for my DVD & my SAT-100, component is "the" way to go !!! the xbr was for me the sharpest tube hdtv in the market, I love the resolution of the tube vs the RPTVs but every body is different and have different expectations when it comes to TVs', the XBR is very good with good sources like your dvd (progressive better)or your HDTV set up box, even DirecTV regular channels look way better with the SAT-HD100, now when it comes to cable channels this TV will is so sharp that it will make them look worst, I am a broadcast & satellite technician all I can tell you is that the XBR is a excellent set.

good luck

Ruben.

·
Registered
98 Posts
roemerj,

With the XBR400 you will lose a lot of resolution. The HD100 is capable of up to 1920 horizontal lines of resolution. Most HD capable sets in the same price range as the XBR400 can display about 1200 horizontal lines. The XBR400 can only do a pathetic (for HD) 700 horizontal lines.

On top of that, while most HD capable sets have a range of acceptable viewing distances, the XBR400 must be viewed from about 5 feet. Any closer and you will see the aperture grill (vertical stripes) in the screen - any farther away and you will reduce the already low horizontal resolution even further. If you sit 10 feet back from an XBR400, you will only be able to see about 400 lines horizontal resolution.

Actually, I think the XBR400 would be a great little set for the bedroom at $1,000. Unfortunately it costs over $2,000 and people are seriously considering it for viewing at 10-12 feet in a living room.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Before I bought my 36" xbr400, I went through the spec game with everyone saying how pathetic the resolution was on direct view sets. My problem was that in comparing the xbr400 to the "high resolution" rptv's, the xbr's picture was clearer, brighter, more color depth, and never fuzzy. I decided that for me that these horizontal resolution numbers were not that important for real world viewing. My suggestion is to go look for yourself; I get great pictures on Dish HDTV, c-band, and OTA. Nothing is fuzzy.

I will go large screen at some future time when HDTV is more common and dlp technology (or something) has allowed large screen viewing to be clear for all formats.

just my opinion

Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
The XBR400 was Sony's desparate attempt to earn big profit on a direct view 4:3 TV. Thank you to the lousy calibration and source fed to the "realer" HDTV in most showrooms, the XBR did a pretty good job in such side by side comparisons. A sale is sucessful and a whole bunch of happy customers.

Even a Toshiba 40H80 RPTV, which is notorious on lack of optimal out of the box performance, with minimal calibration with AVIA beat the XBR by miles. And the cost ? the Toshiba may be even cheaper. Not to mention the 3:2 pulldown, 5 input selections and 2 HD component inputs, individual input setting, etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
>Even a Toshiba 40H80 RPTV, which is notorious on lack of >optimal out of the box performance, with minimal >calibration with AVIA beat the XBR by miles. And the >cost ? the Toshiba may be even cheaper. Not to mention the >3:2 pulldown, 5 input selections and 2 HD component >inputs, individual input setting, etc.

Beats it by miles in what? specs, size, fuzziness? I have never seen a really good non HDTV picture on an RPTV system, in stores, in homes, anywhere, versus a good direct view set. It seems that so many people on these forums like to make blanket statements that large rptv systems are better for everybody than direct view sets from almost any perspective. Not everyone wants a big screen TV to dominate their family room; not everyone watches only HDTV or DVD; not everyone believes that the rptv picture is brighter, sharper, and clearer than direct view sets.

I say that one should let their own eyes and their own personal requirements drive their decisions. People come to these forums to get expert advice and they often get incredibly biased opinions toward only one viewpoint.

just my opinion,

Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
RPTV sure have their disadvantage. Firstly, they are generally too bulky. Even a 40" HD RPTV would not sit on a TV stand. So, a 36" inch direct view TV may be the best choice for many people when they are spatially challenged.

Talking about being subjective or objective, the specification of individual TVs clearly speak very loud objectively. Lets say both a HD RPTV and a direct view TV can be calibrated to display the proper color temperature and color and contrast, without the concern for space, honestly, an HDTV honestly displaying more than 1500 lines vertically on a 40" screen is cleaner than 721 lines on a 36" screen.

I am not saying a RPTV is better than direct view in general. A direct view TV could display a equally good picture if they can come up with the design to display better resolution on a flat and large screen.

I think Yerinton was not being arrogant, nor is he showing off his ability to afford a HD RPTV. What he meant is if you can come up with more than two grands for a XBR and spatially can fit a HDTV, the XBR seems to be over priced.

[This message has been edited by Victor C (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thought Yeringto's post was accurate and well within the bounds of these forums, myself. Someone has to tell it like it is, and not get bogged down in political correctness. After following these forums for several years, and contributing only more recently, I'm beginning to notice more and more posts from those who have purchased direct-view CRTs, but are comparing DVD images with HDTV, saying they're similar, and complaining about the poor or limited quality of HDTV. Yeringto's post explains why. All right, I would have use 'very limited' instead of pathetic. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Actually, the 40" Toshiba needs a stand to be at the correct viewing height, if viewers are seated.

Toshiba makes a nice one that also holds some other components. http://www.consumer-direct.com/detai...vpartno=ST4016

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well done HDTV (DISH demo, super bowl, Masters, etc) are clearly better on the xbr400 then any DVD is. In my opinion, on a smaller scale, HDTV looks just as good as on a big screen, except smaller. The brightness out weighs the loss in resolution. If all I watched was HDTV, I would probably have chosen a larger rptv, still realizing that I would still be upgrading as soon as dlp technology is cheap enough. Therefore for me, an rptv or the xbr400 are both bridges to the future.

The xbr400 made more sense to me because it looks better in my room, can gracefully move to another room in a few years, and is markedly better for normal tv and c-band, and somewhat better for dvd's. The improvement from my old 32 inch RCA to this set for OTA and 4dtv was an amazing improvement; that is 70% of my viewing.

It just bugs the hell out of me when some people indicate that only misinformed people would ever lower themselves to buy a direct view set. I consider myself informed, but with just different requirements and values.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
RScogland,

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to denigrate anyone's choice of set. I only meant to point out that there are a lot of compromises with a set like the XBR400. It has its good points and bad points, and if you do the trade-off and decide to buy one and enjoy it - that's great.

My remarks were directed more toward those new to HD who may not know what the trade-offs are with the XBR400. There seem to be many people looking at this set who think it is a true HD set. They don't realize that it is only DVD resolution, and that DVD and HD will look about the same on it.

Because of the small screen size the images will appear quite sharp - and that may be the deciding factor. But I just wanted to warn them that if HD is what they are really after, there are sets from Toshiba and Mitsubishi at the same price that will do a better job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Personally, I don't believe any of the reasonably priced sets (rptv or direct view) can truly resolve HD in all its glory; so I believe that there are compromises not only with the xbr but also with the projection tvs. The resolution loss on direct views are offset by other issues with projectors. The impact of these tradeoffs vary dramatically depending on the source. I believe that anyone moving into a higher resolution mode should do a side by side compare on all the formats that they will be watching, weighting them by the percentages they will be watching each. HD vs HD, dvd vs dvd, OTA vs OTA, Sat vs sat. Don't look at specs; just look at the picture.

I saw some great HD pictures on large projectors, but the XBR picture looked just as good. On the other formats, the xbr won easily. One thing that surprised me with the xbr is to how good it is for regular tv and dvd; that should not be minimized. Most people will be impacted more there than with true HD. That said, I am still absolutely amazed at the quality of the dish HD demo loop on my set. I know, I know, it is not true HD, but it is better than any dvd by a long shot and it is not my imagination.

I still say to someone just getting into it. Just compare for yourself on the material you will be watching.

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all that replied to my post. I did not mean to start a holy war of RPJ verse DirectView. Personally, I prefer DirectView. I was just wondering if I should make the plunge now on the SONY XBR 400 or 450 or wait for future models that may have a finer pitch in the aperture grille resulting in higher horizontal resolution. It is quite a dilemma for me since technically the answer is to wait, but emotionally I want it now! I don't recall mention of a similar priced DirectView set in the thread. Therefore, I am concluding the SONY XBR maybe a good price/performance chose for a DirectView for viewing OTA DT/HD, DVD, & DTV.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You really didn't start the "holy" war. In my case, you just reopened some old wounds from battles past when I was trying to educate myself. On a 4dtv forum, there was a reference to a June issue of home theater magazine that discussed various direct view sets. This was a pointer to the overview:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?73 [/url]

Mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rick,

Scroll down to past issues and click on June 2001; the specific article is called face off.

Hope that works

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.