AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys as you can see this is my first post, I have a important question/issue. (to me of course)

The story is I owned a LNB550 great (and cheap) TV it had great picture and awesome natural contrast, I could get excellent picture quality (color quality) with out even turning on the Dynamic Contrast at all.

Today I got a UNB6000 LED 120 hz, and quite frankly the picture is crap, it's basically un-viewable with out dynamic contrast maxed, and the edges are way too bright.

Now the dynamic contrast ratio on the LNB550 in 80,000:1 and the UNB6000 is 3,000,000:1. But it seems the LNB550 has a much much better natural contrast.

So I am at a loss, I'm pretty sure I am going to take the UNB6000 back to the store tomorrow. I guess I am looking for comments and asking what TV I should get I want 46" and to pay about $1,400.

I want really good color and picture quality, and I don't like the fake enhanced "dynamic" stuff. I might want to go plasma, you tell me, do I? I use my TV mostly for gaming is burn in still an issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aken909 /forum/post/18296664

Hi guys as you can see this is my first post, I have a important question/issue. (to me of course)

The story is I owned a LNB550 great (and cheap) TV it had great picture and awesome natural contrast, I could get excellent picture quality (color quality) with out even turning on the Dynamic Contrast at all.

Today I got a UNB6000 LED 120 hz, and quite frankly the picture is crap, it's basically un-viewable with out dynamic contrast maxed, and the edges are way too bright.

Now the dynamic contrast ratio on the LNB550 in 80,000:1 and the UNB6000 is 3,000,000:1. But it seems the LNB550 has a much much better natural contrast.

So I am at a loss, I'm pretty sure I am going to take the UNB6000 back to the store tomorrow. I guess I am looking for comments and asking what TV I should get I want 46" and to pay about $1,400.

I want really good color and picture quality, and I don't like the fake enhanced "dynamic" stuff. I might want to go plasma, you tell me, do I? I use my TV mostly for gaming is burn in still an issue?

Thanks in advance.

You can't really compare the LED-LCD contrast ratios to the CCFL-LCD contrast ratios. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Samsung purposely jacks up the LED-LCD numbers to make them seem better. Both ratios are dynamic contrast ratios, however, so don't think that accounts for the difference. Samsung doesn't offer native contrast ratios anymore for any of their TVs. The only place I seen such ratios are in the service manuals. Even those might vary by panel version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

What should I do, just stick with regular LCD, Plasma maybe, is there a TV or type of TV that people know to have a good natural picture?

·
Registered
12,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aken909 /forum/post/18296869

Thank you for your reply.

What should I do, just stick with regular LCD, Plasma maybe, is there a TV or type of TV that people know to have a good natural picture?

I'd go to a large electronics store like Best Buy, Sears, or PC Richards and check out all the models that you are considering. Be sure to change basic picture settings/options to what you'd use at home. If the store has a darkened area for some TVs that might help as well (like Magnolia Home Theater at BB). Plasmas have a very natural image but LCDs can be great as well, aside from viewing angles and motion resolution. IMO, the only benefit of a 120Hz or 240Hz LCD TV (either LED or CCFL) is 24p support without 2:3 pulldown (5:5 or 10:10 pulldown instead, respectively). Leaving motion interpolation on (Auto Motion Plus) will only make the picture less natural. Judder reduction and blur reduction do more harm than good if you like a natural picture. Movie pic mode is the one to use on the Samsungs, usually with Warm2 color temp for the most natural PQ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts