AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what got you started in the pursuit of audiophelia, and what was your very first setup as well as subsequent setups?

to give a better example of what kind of answers i'm hoping people with share, i'll go first:

when i was very young (and poor):

hand-me-down large speakers (not sure of the brand, but they weren't terrible) - 3way, 10" woofers up front. 2way, 8" woofers in rear. Denon avr-3200 receiver. Sound blaster AWE64 gold sound card (analog 2ch output) playing mp3s from winamp. (for music)

a few years and more money later:

same front/rears... custom 4way center speaker (from J&S audio in morris plains NJ), and a cheap JBL 10" powered sub (150w, supposedly), same 3200. Sound Blaster Live! sound card (digital coax output) playing mp3s from winamp. (for music)

most recently, and a lot more money later:

Custom Front/Rear/Center from J&S audio in morris plains NJ.

front = 4way, 12" woofer, rear = 4way, 10" woofer... same center. sub = 12" driver from J&S audio, with DIY 3cubic foot titanic 1"MDF box from parts-express powered by parasound HCA-750a (200wx1 RMS bridged) same avr-3200. M-Audio Sonica usb sound card with soundprofessionals Glass optical cable playing mp3s/mpCs/F.L.A.C. files with Foobar2k 24bit output with no re-sampling. all files replay-gained to 89db output (without any loss/distortion)

within a few months (finances providing), i'd like to upgrade to the B&K ref50 + av125.7 separates (to replace that aging 3200 which is 5chan, no DTS), get 2 small bookshelf speakers (6" 2ways) from J&S for the 6th/7th channels and maybe a parasound HCA-1000A for the sub and maybe upgrade that 12" in the box, to a 15 (still undecided on 12 v 15).

lol... enough about me... i'm really curious to see what systems you guys have jumped to/from... :D

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
My first "real hi-fi system" consisted of a Dual 1229 turntable w/ a Shure V15-type III cartridge, a Dynaco AF-6 am/fm tuner (kit), a Dynaco PAT-5 preamp (kit), a pair of SouthWest Technical Products' Universal Tiger amps, and a pair of Rectilinear III Highboys.

See below for what I have now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Okay, I started when I hooked up a pair of Advent 6-1/2" bookshelf speakers to my large Sony boombox. That was more than 12 years ago. I think that's how I got started - that's when I began going to local high-fi shops to drool over the equipment (mainly Carver).

After saving up, I purchased an all Carver system (a DPL pre/pro, a CD changer, a TFM-35, and an AV-534(? - a four channel amp) - all hooked up to my Advents and a throwaway pair of surrounds - initially.

I then stumbled upon a pair of KEF 104/2's on clearance. That REALLY started the inexorable descent into audiophilia purgatory. After hooking up these to the Carver system, I was again dissatisfied - mainly because the pre/pro wasn't able to image at all.

I ended up gradually replacing that Carver system: a McCormack TLC-1 passive line stage and an Aragon 4004MkII (which i still have & love). I replaced the CD changer with a Pioneer Elite PD-65, and then bought a Yamaha add-on processor/amp to drive the center and rears off the TLC-1's processor loop. I eventually sold the Carver system to make up for the debt I was building up. My current dream equipment moved up to Dunlavy speakers, Ayre amplification, and Theta digital.

The McCormack/Yamaha duo gave way to a Nakamichi CA-1 pre/pro & B&K ST-1430 three channel amp as I strove to integrate my two-channel listening with the then burgeoning HT craze. Bought a first generation Toshiba DVD player while all my friends were warning back then that it would be the next "BetaMax." Funny, in retrospect.

I now loved the Nak's DAC's so much I sold the Pioneer for a Teac VRDS T-1 transport. I had by now replaced the Advents with KEF surrounds, and a Model 100 (then a Model 200) center.

I then wanted dts, so off went the Nak to eBay, and I got a demo Aragon SoundStage. The Teac also went the eBay way, the Toshiba went a "hand-me-down" route to my older sister, and I got a Sony NS-DVP900U to spin DVD's and act as a transport, not to mention playing around with SACDs.

I've recently got my Dunlavy speakers (at firesale prices) for my fronts and centers, and the Sony made way for a Denon universal. The SoundStage got eBay'd when Aragon waved that awesome Stage One upgrade in my face, bringing me about where I am now.

Wow - that's a journey. Great thread to start. I think I'm where I need to be for awhile in terms of equipment - but don't get me wrong... wave a pair of Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy's in front of me, I'm not going to turn them away. :)

Happy Listening!

Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just went down to the basement to dig up some stuff, and to correct myself... my FIRST reciever was a pioneer quadraphonic QX-8000 that was used with that first setup for a while before i could afford that avr-3200...

i want to clean it up and turn it on and see if it still works...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.