Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The only two cards that seem to fit my needs (somewhat) is the Navis Pro (w/onboard tuner) and the hauppage wintv pvr 250 or 350.

Can anyone help me out in answering a few questions about these cards, and possibly recommend other cards as well? The following are features/qualities important to me...

1. Onboard tv-tuner (both qualify here)

2. DVD format mpeg-2 files (this kicked the Creative solution out of the loop)

3. Viewing Quality

4. Encoding Quality

5. DScaler compatibility (I don't think they are currently supported?)

6. Stability

7. Good software/driver support

8. EPG

9. PC Requirements. I only have a P3-800. Is this sufficient for smooth playback (it seems this is done in software) simultaneously with the hardware videocapture???

Now, it seems that teh Navis has pretty good display and capture quality, so I am guessing this would be accurate for the WinTV pvr 250 aswell, since they seem to be using the same chipsets?

I guess of the above mentioned issues, my biggest would be whether there is an EPG that is compatible with the cards and whether a P3-800 is fast enough...

Thanks

-Tom

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I guess I probably was not specific enough;

1. Does anyone know which has better PQ for viewing and recording?

2. Does any of these cards have the capability to use a EPG, like TitanTv for scheduling programs?

3. Do you know if Dscaler supports the Philips tuner, or if it ever will?

4. Which company has better software and drivers, in terms of stability, ease of use, and number of features?

5. Can any of the cards be used with simultaneous playback/recording on a P3-800mhz?

6. Any difference except FM tuner and S-video outputs etc. on the PVR 350 vs the 250??

Any clarification would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
> 1. Does anyone know which has better PQ for viewing and recording?

Should be the same

Depend on chosen format you start with that gose for both card.

> 2. Does any of these cards have the capability to use a EPG, like TitanTv for scheduling programs?

Yes, WinTV-PVR and 250 and 350

No, Navis Pro

> 3. Do you know if Dscaler supports the Philips tuner, or if it ever will?

No Support for Dscaler it dose RealTime MPEG encoding in fact both WinTV-PVR, Navis Pro.

Dscaler need YUV stream format but if Dscaler could read MPEG stream format I think it would work don't know for sure on that one.

The way it works is live MPEG stream and software video decoder (WinDVD). So the quality on the screen is dependant upon the MPEG format chosen. For example, MPEG1 will give lower quality than MPEG2. MPEG2 8Mbits/sec will give better quality than MPEG2 2Mbits/sec.

Both card are using the same directshow drv from WinDVD for display.

> 4. Which company has better software and drivers, in terms of stability, ease of use, and number of features?

Don't know.

> 5. Can any of the cards be used with simultaneous playback/recording on a P3-800mhz?

Do you mean two stream at one time?.

> 6. Any difference except FM tuner and S-video outputs etc. on the PVR 350 vs the 250??

Not sure what eles is coming with the 350 but there is a big cost diff about $50(350) to $150(250) less then a Navis Pro $300.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi SHS,

Thanks for helping out again! :)

Concerning the possible use of Dscaler, the only reason I was hoping for this, was that Dscaler is known for being very good at filtering the tv-signal, and up 'scale' it well. I do however think both cards have very good quality in their own right on this aspect, so it is probably 'no biggie'

(I would probably use 6-mbit/sec for daily use, and 10-12 mbit for those special movies/events/series, if I could see the difference, that is :)

On 5, I meant basically the PVR function where I might pause playback, but it still records in the background, and when I press play, it would still record, but I would watch what happened 10 minutes earlier in the stream, for instance. I am not sure if I am explaining myself very well here, but..

Anyway do you think my computer could record and play back the same stream at the same time?

The PVR 250 sounds like what I want, unless there is a quality difference in PQ between the 350 or Navis.

Thanks again, SHS ;-)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Oh I see your ref to Time-Shift recording that be Yes.

Time-Shift recording works two difference way.

1: Pause then it start writing MPEG data where you pause at then press play at where it pause at.

2: Pause then it start writing MPEG data where you pause it at then can press Stop to go rigth to the live video the files is still there to review later if want.

A side note: you should all time have 5+GB of free space when doing this up to 12MB MPEG CAP setting or less.

All three card use the same MPEG chip there shouldn't be any difference in quality it not like a Video card where they disable stuff or remove stuff from or build two difference the core.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought the wintv 250. Just for the heck of it, I hooked up my sat recvr through the tuner so I could watch the tv with the audio in sync. I will say that the picture on the 250 is very good, although I still prefer the bt8x8 card through dscaler.

another problem with the 250 is that I constantly have to exit and restart the wintv2000 app because the picture locks up. Now, this could be because I still have the bt8x8 card installed, but I doubt it, the 250 now has it's very own IRQ....

I have to say though, I'm really pleased with the captures from the 250....

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHS and Ken, thanks for that additional info. Except the problem with 250 locking up, everything seems very positive so far :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.