AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with one of these. We have an application where we have a Dukane 9017 (JVC DLA-SX21U) DILA projector. We got into a situation where the screen size was reduced after the fact and now we need to adjust the image size down by about 20% and we are at the most forward postion possible in the room.

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Im currently using the SST120.

Adding this stand alone lens gives you an image 20% smaller if using your current throw or it extends your throw another 20% which in my case turned out to be about 4 feet to achieve my original image size if not using the SST120.

This lens is very high quality. No chroma aberration at all. No visible loss of contrast or light output and most important no geometry distortion and its razor sharp corner to corner. Aperture opening is just large enough to work with almost any projector.

Highly recommended.

They make 4 models. If you need a smaller image or longer throw they have the SST120 20% or the SST 150 50% smaller image/longer throw and they have a 20% & 50% to give you a larger image or shorter throw.

This may be a cheaper option for someone instead of adding a replacement primary lens to your projector. The 20% lens will run you just a little over $1000 with the 50% costing $200 more than the 20% and are well worth it. Performance is excellent.

I will take pics and do a small review later this week.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Noah

Neat. I tried this. I have a G3 and I also have this wide angle lens with adapter.

At first I thought this is neat but I get uneven focus at the edges. This changes relative to where you place the lens. Im using a Seleco zoomed as small as possible so the image is much smaller then the image from an X1 everyone is using in the thread.

When using this lens with the G3 camera it produces a fish eye effect on the edges so my uneven focus makes sense.

Those not so critical the camera wide angle lens will do.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Alan,

Have you tried using the SST120 with an ISCO? The only two things I don’t like about my ISCOII are the reduced throw and some minor pincushion.

Using the 120 would help the first – would it have any impact on the pincushion (by using a smaller, more central portion of the ISCO)?

-jeff

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The good and the bad.

While the Navitar does a perfect job at reducing image size it does have one draw back.

The size of the exit lens is fairly large and fish eyed in shape. The image exitting my projectors primary lens is about 1" wide but placing the Navitar in front the image exiting the Navitar is about 2" or more even though the image is smaller on the screen.

I think this large aperture is needed for the lens to do what it does without adding chromatic aberration or geometry distortion.

This narrows down the choice of anamorphic lens that will work with the SST120.

Ive tried the following anamorphic lens with the Seleco 300 zoomed to its smallest image size with the Navitar in front. The Seleco projector is considered a long throw projector.

Lens that work:

Isco 3: perfect with plenty of room for zooming.

Panamorph, Oil filled. Some room for zooming.

Lens that do not work or do not have enough aperture opening:

Isco 2.

Both the Prismasonic V and H model.

Panamorph. The new solid prism. Very small and not enough aperture.

·
Premium Member
25,536 Posts
"Thanks Noah. Good recommendation for those who want to shorten their throw or enlarge their image size on the cheap.

Any cheap solutions to shrink the image size?"

Actually that's what I was referring to; telephoto adapters reduce size/increase throw distance and wide angle adapters do the opposite.

Thry're both standard camera add-ons.

Same as with vertical shrink vs. horizontal expand anamorphic lenses, a telephoto makes the image smaller and reduces the ray angles and have less issues with aberratiions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.