AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TWC-NYC will be showing tonight's Boston - Indiana in HD on channel 708.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks for the post. Never would have tuned in 708 without it--or the similar post here yesterday.

Seems remarkable that NYC's Time Warner Cable can't devise some way of alerting 3100HD users of special 708 programming or other timely HDTV-related happenings. (Recall a recent post about a special TV Guide channel.) Wonder if TWC could pull 3100HD users from its computer, then send alert messages only to those converters, activating the message light?

Subscribers to TV Guide's local digital-cable printed edition won't find much help. My weekly copy doesn't even list HDTV channel 708. Instead, it says 709 is WWOR (UPN) digital (meaning not HDTV). But 709 was removed, at least for S.Manhattan, a few months ago after steady blinking on and off for weeks.

TV Guide has 24/7 program listings for the digital PBS Kids channel 713. But with all TV Guide's editorial programming contacts, they still won't provide a simple symbol such as "%" indicating what HDTV programs are 1080i, or "UP" indicating upconversions, and other digital-channel (ATSC-originated) information. While HDTV viewers are a tiny slice of the cable and OTA audience, not making subscribers/viewers aware of what's available limits HDTV.

NYC TWC did correct its on-screen listing for 713 (WNET-DT) a while back, now providing the separate H/DTV PBS programs instead of the NTSC programs carried for some time.

Stealth & Missing TWC Channel Programs.NYC TWC (S. Manhattan) has a mystery stealth channel. It's a small organization called the United Nations. Not even the on-screen electronic guide lists it. But tap in channel 78 and there it is (UNTV). You can also tune UNTV in on TWC's analog cable channel 97.

Not surprisingly, TV Guide doesn't mention UNTV anywhere. TV Guide also doesn't doesn't provide program listings for Trio or Ovation, two excellent sources, IMO. Yet the Guide provides a 24/7 blank space labeled "Chinese Programming" (no separate programs). Ovation and Trio are listed as channels in the front of the TV Guide, and the electronic on-screen guide lists individual programs, as does the NY Times' weekly TV guide. -- John

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in Brooklyn, I don't get this Stealth Channel. It's chinese programming. However I do get channel which is labeled "video conference" but shows a blue screen that says "adult programming". This is on channel 1892. It would be nice if they could send a message to the box when a new HD channel comes on. Perhaps an addation of ESPN-HD would be a good example...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.