AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Now viewers can see not only live games, but some of the greatest basketball games in HD on NBA TV."

"...Mariah Carey's special halftime tribute to Jordan. "

"We have been recording games in high-definition since the 1993..."

Umm, does anybody have a napkin. We had a little accident over here.

:p :p

This is GREAT news!

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well this is phenomenal news, but my only question is whether or not people on Cable providers (especially the ones that carried the past two weeks HD games) will have the opportunity to get the channel (pay or otherwise).

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
The daily HD programming will be provided to DirecTV and DISH Network HDTV subscribers on channels 198 and 9425 respectively.
Does this mean the worthless D* HD movie channel is gone? Or will it be basically pieces of the NBA TV day?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Does this then represent a new channel for D*!

198 on all the time free HD! If its true this is great news, wonder where the PPV channel will go to?

Channel 90 perhaps this is what all the phone surveys were for!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
"We have been recording games in high-definition since the 1993 NBA All-Star Game in preparation for this television revolution," said Winik. "Now viewers can see not only live games, but some of the greatest basketball games in HD on NBA TV. We are proud that the network is playing a lead role in introducing the future of television to not just NBA enthusiasts, but to all sports fans."
This is so, so awesome. Now the only question is what games they have in store for us. I hope these games were captured in HD -> GAME 7, WCF 2000, GAME 4/7, WCF 2002.

That scream you heard was me and my tears of joy.

-T

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
WTF?

I must be dreaming. Did anyone check to see if this was up today? I hope we can see the new 24/7 format immediately following the live games tonight. Boy am I glad Dish already has a dedicated channel for this.

The next question is, what will they charge for this next year? At least now you can get NBATV in the basic sports packages without springing for the season ticket.

I STILL CAN"T FRIGGIN BELIEVE THIS!!!!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO Now this is incredible news plus credible source... My hats off to Directv and Dish

In the offseason, what is played on NBATv?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706

Classic pre-recorded games dude

Probably some upconverts too

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
About 365 hours of Michael Jordan retrospectives if memory serves me correctly. That and the hours upon hours of HD film of David Stern crying whenever MJ retires. ;)

Good work NBATV and providers. This will give a lot of us who are no longer echanted by the NBA an opportunity to glimpse back at the game we used to enjoy. Between 1983 through about 1997 or so, I was as big a fan as there was. But like a growing number of middle-aged (or close to middle-aged) people, I grew to loathe the league and many of its players. Even my Pistons don't get me that excited anymore.

This will be nice. I'm looking forward to it.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Some disbelief here, too. So I fired up my HDTV and tuned to NYC's Time Warner Cable channel 708, which had carried two earlier games. My online shedule guide showed only "HD Special." But then immediately, at 7:35 eastern, a Bucks-Nets game flashed onto the screen in superb 1080i. Not sure if 708 here will be filled with 1080i henceforth (naw, c'mon), or this is still a temporary thing. -- John

·
Registered
698 Posts
They even mentioned it during tonight's broadcast:)

Now if we could get the same going with the NFL...

Looking forward to next week.

Tony

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Best news since the espn-hd fiasco...I might watch some wnba-hd games now. First time I will try to watch wnba game. What's the ny team? Liberty?

Anyway, this is great news and it shows a great commitment on Mr. stern to go forward with HD television. Now, I'll be salivating all summer for NBA live games in HD...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Although NBA HDTV will be available to Dish & DirecTV, it remains to be seen how much of it they will carry. Same for many cable systems. For example, Comcast is not carrying the NBA HDTV playoff games.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
I hope these games were captured in HD -> GAME 7, WCF 2000
Now I know you're a Lakers fan but why in the world anybody would want to watch the biggest choke job in the history of sports is beyond me. Even as a Lakers fan you must know that the ending of that game had very little to do with what the Lakers did and everything to do with what the Blazers failed to do. It was a supreme gift that saved the Lakers from becoming the all time biggest chokers in sports history themselves :).

BTW, Ken is right. It remains to be seen exactly what either sat provider does with this. I wouldn't get too excited just yet....

ron

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Now I know you're a Lakers fan but why in the world anybody would want to watch the biggest choke job in the history of sports is beyond me. Even as a Lakers fan you must know that the ending of that game had very little to do with what the Lakers did and everything to do with what the Blazers failed to do. It was a supreme gift that saved the Lakers from becoming the all time biggest chokers in sports history themselves :).
LOL I guess ya gotta cling to something. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I believe some of you are confused into thinking that they will be broadcasting 1080i fulltime. Only their nightly programming will be available to providers in HD.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Even as a Lakers fan you must know that the ending of that game had very little to do with what the Lakers did and everything to do with what the Blazers failed to do. It was a supreme gift that saved the Lakers from becoming the all time biggest chokers in sports history themselves :).
doesn`t make it any less sweet!!!!! :)

3 in a row baby! portland jailblazers? lol

sorry man.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm as big of a sports fan as the next guy, and would love everything to be HD. But, with bandwidth restrictions, this is about as big of a waste of bandwidth as you can get. Give us ESPN-HD with some variety, give us HDNET movies with some old classics, but just the NBA does nothing for me. I'm with Sangs, the NBA ceased to be exciting years ago. I'll take NCAA B-ball any day.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.