AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from Multichannel News, by R. Thomas Umstead

The National Basketball Association announced that Cablevision, Cox, and TWC will all offer the league's 24-hour NBA TV channel beginning next month. All three MSOs will place the service on digital tiers or in their most costly all-in-one packages. The three MSOs together represent 22 million subscribers, with the rollout taking place over several years.

DBS providers DirecTV and Dish Network, with 11.5 and 9 million subscribers respectively, already carry the service, which will offer 96 live NBA games, nearly one-half of them shown in HDTV.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
... But still no Comcast. I really miss that channel too, that fact that they now cover games (SD and HD) makes it even worse.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ken, if they (C,C and TWC) carry NBA-TV can we also assume they will carry the HD-feeds of NBA-TV games (where available) that are said to be shown this coming season?

Also, what does this mean: "...with the rollout taking place over several years..."?

-T

·
Registered
142 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!!!.......Oh My God......WHAT?????

- The only channel I USED to watch was NBATV.

- The perfect compliment to the NBA in-demand package.

- 24/7 HDTV NBA programming.

- 5 HD games per week

- EVERYONE in the states gets it except Comcast subscribers Now?

I have been waiting patiently for about a year now for Comcast to give me this channel BACK, that I had. Let me guess.....another money issue for them.....or wait.....how bout not enough bandwith to pick it up?

Please tell me who I can write about this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Any word on BEV picking up NBA TV? Can they do this? What is the difference between Raptors - NBA TV and regular NBA TV? And of course Charter Cable isn't picking up this channel. Well I can now wait for my Charter to become "Atlantic Broadband" we'll seen then. I'll probably end up losing what HD I do have...

·
Registered
41 Posts
A couple of questions:

1) What do you have to do to subscribe to NBA TV? Is it part of sports pack, or do you have to get League Pass? I can't recall.

2) Are they showing their HD shows already? If not, when will they start the HD stuff and games?

3) Will they show HD simulcasts of games televised nationally on ABC? I seem to recall last year that the All-Star game, for instance, was on both ABC and D* channel 198 in HD. Will they do this again this year?

Seems like Stern is a big proponent of HD, which certainly helps!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShackShock

Seems like Stern is a big proponent of HD, which certainly helps!
Baseball fans wish Selig was half as on the ball with HD as Stern.

We couldn't even get Fox Saturday baseball in WIDESCREEN!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Correct - but just because you have NBA TV does not necessarily mean you will get 48 games in HD - I believe for that you have to subscribe to League Pass. I think there will probably only be 1 or at most 2 games per week on ESPN/ABC in HD and none on TNT in HD. What I am really curious about though is whether any local telecasts of Laker/Clipper games will be in HD on a channel like KCAL 9 in LA.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel
Correct - but just because you have NBA TV does not necessarily mean you will get 48 games in HD - I believe for that you have to subscribe to League Pass. I think there will probably only be 1 or at most 2 games per week on ESPN/ABC in HD and none on TNT in HD. What I am really curious about though is whether any local telecasts of Laker/Clipper games will be in HD on a channel like KCAL 9 in LA.
Ummmmmmmmm, Lakers girls in HD.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel

Was the first comment by Ken just talking about half of the games being on NBA TV, or by all NBA teams on their own stations, or the channels mentioned above? If your talking about just on NBA TV, I don't remeber any blackout rules for any games last season. I didn't have League Pass. Of course I could be wrong, but I got all the HD games that NBA TV did with just the sports pack. Of course is they di a Grizzlies game in HD I might have to stay home for that one.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Of interest to Comcast HD subscribers, this is a quote from the Reuters story:

Quote:
Stern added the NBA is still in talks with Comcast Corp., the largest U.S. cable operator and other companies, and hopes to announce more deals before the start of the 2003-2004 season in late October.
Of course, being "in negotiations" doesn't necessarily mean anything, as we know Comcast and HDNet are still "in negotiations" and have been for a long time. Same for Comcast and CBS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if D* is going to carry the proposed 50 HD NBA games that are discussed in recent press releases. There is no information on either NBA.com or DirecTV's website (gasp!) about the HD games being televised on D*. And as a result of this, there's no information whether you'll have to sign up for the "League Pass" or just the Sports Pack (in order to get NBA.TV) to get these HD games. I'm not buying League Pass if all I have to do is buy the sports pack. But if I have to buy the League Pass, I'd like to do so before the fees go up in November.

Ken H, can you help clarify this situation or try to find out anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know for sure if D* is going to carry the proposed 50 HD NBA games that are discussed in recent press releases. There is no information on either NBA.com or DirecTV's website (gasp!) about the HD games being televised on D*. And as a result of this, there's no information whether you'll have to sign up for the "League Pass" or just the Sports Pack (in order to get NBA.TV) to get these HD games.
I called DirecTV a couple of weeks ago and the CSR said that NBA-TV was definitely part of the Sports Pack which also includes about 25 Fox (Regional) Sports Nets and 5 other sports channels (such as the Golf and Outdoor Channels.) The cost is $8.00 per month. I simply canceled my Cinemax channel (no HD) and substituted the Sports Pack ...so no additional charge for me.

I was able to watch the Dallas Mavericks (in Mexico City) on Sunday (Channel 601/NBA-TV) and will be able to see the Orlando Magic at Dallas tonight on the (Channel 632) Sunshine Network (Florida.) Both are in standard definition.

I was told, however, that NBA-TV will definitely broadcast "about half" their games in HDTV "when available." But, so far, no HD schedule. NBA-TV website located at: http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/ . NBA-TV schedule (no indication which is in HD) at: http://www.nba.com/schedules/preseason_030807.html .

DirecTV "Sports Pack" Info is located at: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/Sp...scriptions.jsp

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Here is the schedule for all "national" televised NBA games for 2003-2004, including NBA TV games. It does not tell you which of the NBA TV games will be in HD.

http://www.nba.com/schedules/national_tv_schedule/

I counted a total of 99 games, 2 of which are preseason (tonight and tomorrow), to appear on NBA TV.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the network called "The Score" which is listed as showing a good number of games?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Well the NBA Channel is on TW, but nothing yet about HD - wonder how they will do that - does anybody know??? New Channel / not getting it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.