AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you NBC Sports haters will love this one, from Friday’s edition of The New York Times:

SPORTS MEDIA AND BUSINESS
NBC Sports Considering a Return to the N.F.L.

By RICHARD SANDOMIR October 15, 2004

Does NBC have a yen to carry the National Football League again?

In 1998, it got out of televising N.F.L. games, having refused to outbid CBS for the American Football Conference package and ABC for "Monday Night Football." Ever since, NBC has carried the XFL and the Arena Football League.

Pat Bowlen, the Denver Broncos' owner and the chairman of the N.F.L.'s broadcasting committee, said NBC was considering a return.

Note: Complete story here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/15/sp...rint&position=

or here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51#post4507751

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
NFL wouldn't let NBC do NFL games unless NBC agreed to do them all in HD and 5.1. At least that's my belief at this point.

I am going to extrapolate based on the current state of NFL games in HD and predict that (1) next year (2005) all NFL games will be available in HD and (2) future NFL TV rights contracts will contain clauses that require the broadcaster to present all of its NFL games in HD and 5.1 (or comparable digital sound standard).

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that HD/5.1 will be mandates in the new contract.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't see NBC taking on Thursday night games, as they would have to get rid of their coveted "Must See TV" night of programming. Saturday nights could be a good option, but I could also see them going after Monday night.

I also agree and HOPE that the NFL requires any new networks or contract changes to include full HD coverage of all games.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I think that there will also be a stipulation in the new contracts that assures there will be at least two HD formats in use during each season so that AVS will be assured maximum bandwidth ;)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I OK with NBC picking up some NFL broadcasts, but only if they keep it on their free channels, not move them to pay channels. I am concerned about the trend to move compelling content off free TV onto pay channels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The NFL will take NBC's money regardless of HD or 5.1.

I can't think of a business situation where the NFL would say "NBC is bidding $100 for the contract, but CBS is bidding $83 AND HD, let's go with CBS."

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
NBC will make a run at Sunday night game for either the network or USA. Also ESPN is more than likely going to get MNF, as there is pressure from Disney to make more profit vs. loss, and please the East Coast O and O stations that are losing viewers (ie, revenue) with local news that starts after 12 midnight.

CBS/FOX will keep Sunday games, but rumor is that there will no longer be a conference affiliation (CBS=AFC, FOX=NFC would no longer apply).

Also, all playoff games will then be primetime (4pm or later) to maximze audience.

These are just rumors, but the ESPN to MNF is going to happen.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
So what will this do to NBC's NASCAR package. Quite frankly they suck at it, but I can't see FOX giving up the NFL to do NASCAR full time. But I also can't see NASCAR letting ESPN have full time as they seem to like the money having it on network pays. Perhaps a combo of ABC/ESPN? But what about the Busch races? Both ABC and ESPN make too much off college football to give up Saturday afternoons. Speed channel with the trucks?

So long as CBS and Ken Squire don't get it.:D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Surely there's room for everyone at the table:

FOX - NFC Games

CBS - AFC Games

ABC - MNF, TNF, Special Saturday Games

ESPN - SNF

NBC - Inter-conference games (AFC vs NFC), Special Saturday Games

Comcast - Sunday Ticket, VOD games

No more blackouts.

Each outlet pays less than before so everybody makes a profit instead of losing money on this thing, while the NFL rakes in more money because of all the additional outlets.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I do NOT and let me repeat... do NOT want to see CBS and FOX losing conference designations. Having one network do one conference and the other doing the other has been an NFL tradition forever. Not only would losing this structure not make sense, but it would mess up television viewing habits. Think about it... if you watch your NFC team on Fox most of the time and then this new format goes down, you'll have to keep bouncing around the program guide to find your team. Each network immediately loses its identity once the NFL decides to remove conference designations.

ABC losing MNF is sad, but if it entails the Patrick, Theismann, Maguire team getting monday nights... that would be terrific! I always thought they'd be the "heir apparent" broadcasting team.

And NBC doesn't even deserve the NFL anymore, their sports department is a joke.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If ESPN Gets MNF and still has SNF they better have Michaels doing one of the games. I think he's the best announcer in the game right now.

I do not want to see NBC ever take any sports again especially after the olympics debacle and their coverage of HD programming. CBS and Fox should keep their Conference designation.

On the subject of thursday over Satuurday games I'd rather see neither but if its going to happen I'd like Saturday games.

Also isn't the NFL thinking of moving sunday games to 2pm est and 5 pm est?

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by coriolis30
NBC will make a run at Sunday night game for either the network or USA. Also ESPN is more than likely going to get MNF, as there is pressure from Disney to make more profit vs. loss, and please the East Coast O and O stations that are losing viewers (ie, revenue) with local news that starts after 12 midnight.

CBS/FOX will keep Sunday games, but rumor is that there will no longer be a conference affiliation (CBS=AFC, FOX=NFC would no longer apply).

Also, all playoff games will then be primetime (4pm or later) to maximze audience.

These are just rumors, but the ESPN to MNF is going to happen.
Where does this leave ABC?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmedina
I do NOT and let me repeat... do NOT want to see CBS and FOX losing conference designations. Having one network do one conference and the other doing the other has been an NFL tradition forever. Not only would losing this structure not make sense, but it would mess up television viewing habits. Think about it... if you watch your NFC team on Fox most of the time and then this new format goes down, you'll have to keep bouncing around the program guide to find your team. Each network immediately loses its identity once the NFL decides to remove conference designations.

ABC losing MNF is sad, but if it entails the Patrick, Theismann, Maguire team getting monday nights... that would be terrific! I always thought they'd be the "heir apparent" broadcasting team.

And NBC doesn't even deserve the NFL anymore, their sports department is a joke.
Just my 2 cents, but I can think of no less important tradition than the one network, one conference thing. Keep bouncing around the guide to find your team? It's one game per week, and two channels to find them on!

I do hope that MNF stays on free TV.

·
Registered
290 Posts
well... i'll take back some of what I said. I actually wouldn't mind Fox and CBS *switching* conferences. This is just a selfish request from SteelerFan wanting to get more HD games >:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
TNT is also supposedly in this. Since they've got TNT-HD, I'll be happy. Once upon a time ESPN and TNT split the Sunday night games, so maybe this type of thing will happen in the new contract. I hope a lot of these change. Bring in flex scheduling, so better games can be moved to MNF and SNF as the season shakes out. I know the NFL is keen on this. I'm hoping the conference designation goes away, but I guess I'm in the minority.

My biggest concern is this stuff ending up on a non-HD channel like USA or SpikeTV (who supposedly is interested).

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The NFL will not end up on a non-HD channel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jake14mw
Just my 2 cents, but I can think of no less important tradition than the one network, one conference thing. Keep bouncing around the guide to find your team? It's one game per week, and two channels to find them on!

I do hope that MNF stays on free TV.
The rules are pretty simple. The channel is based on the away team. Therefore, at most your team will be on the other network only twice.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.