AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else lost the WMAQ - NBC 29 Digital signal? I haven't been able to get anything as of Monday (night). After reading the new FCC rule on the other thread, my fear was that they have pulled the plug or reduced power and I just live to far away to get the signal. Any info....:confused:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was there for me as of last night, or I would have noticed...will check when I get home to confirm. I have noticed NBC-5's signal strength has been quite irratic over the past week, jumping around from the 90's to the 60's, but usually is was stable enough to keep a good picture with few interruptions.

BTW, I'm in Villa Park(about 20 miles from the transmitter).

--Update: I am receiving the channel still..Dish6000.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am receiving the signal on my RCA STB but not on my Panasonic STB. The RCA STB shows a signal strength much higher than it ever has before (in the 90s). Very perplexing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am getting a very low signal. I am using the HiPix Card and used to get 85 now I am only getting 25.

My picture breaks up now and then. I live about 12 miles from downtown.

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
My DST-3000 signal strength went from 100 to mid-50's befor Sunday. I have the lower signal strength, but very stable with no drop outs.

On another topic, my FOX (32-1) strength fluctuates badly. It will vary between 100 and no signal in loops every minute or so. I can't explain it, but was impossible to watch football today.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I get NBC Chicago and usually it's very steady but for the last couple of days it has been poor quality, lots of pixelling and some dropouts. Maybe they are at low power (?).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had problems this week with the NBC 5-1 signal on my Mits receiver. All other Chicago digital signals coming in great (90-100 signal strength). The NBC 5-1 signal strength used to be the most consistently strong signal, never registering anything lower than 90. Now it doesn't get any higher than the mid 50s, and the picture is badly distorted (if I get a picture at all) and there are severe audio drops. (Not like there's anything besides Leno and Crossing Jordan on NBC HD anyway...but the widescreen ER is nice to watch on the digital channel.)

I was at my brother-in-laws house today and he's got the same problems with NBC digital...same signal strength and everything. I'm in Lake in the Hills, and he's in South Elgin. He said he's never had a problem either until early this week.

Has anyone tried contacting NBC5 to see if they've lowered their transmission power? I'm going to head to their web site to see if they have a some sort of a contact or feedback section. I'll post again if I hear anything.

Marc

GO BEARS!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sent an email to Ken Jackson at NBC 5 ([email protected])asking him if they were having any problems with their transmitter or if they were transmitting at a lower power. Here's the reply I got back...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are not having any problems with our transmitter and we are at full

power.

Are you still having problems as of today?

I would suggest that you have your receiver re-acquire our Digital channel.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Ken Jackson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone that was having problems last week getting low signal strength on channel 5-1 (channel 29) still having the problem? It was still bad for me last night. I'll try re-acquiring the channel tonight and see what happens.

Marc

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too sent Ken Jackson an email but didn't here back from him. I still get nothing from 29, but get all other digital channels fine. I live in Oswego (about 45 miles from downtown) so maybe this reduction in Power everyone is seeing is causing me to not pick up the signal. I find it interesting that Ken said they haven't reudeced power though. Something strange seems to be going on...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Live in Yorville. Getting 62 - 85

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I tried deleting and re-acquiring 5-1 (channel 29). No change. Still getting signal strength between 30-45, peaking at near 50 but never going any higher. All other digital channels coming in at over 90 (just like channel 29 used to). I'll reply back to Ken and give him a link to this discussion so he can see that others are having the same problem. We'll see what happens...

Marc

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have tried to delete and rescan same results. Very low number in the signal on my HiPix.

Tom

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've exchanged a couple more emails with Ken Jackson (he's been responding to me very quickly). He said that he lives some 40 miles south of downtown and is getting 92-95 signal strength. (that's what I used to get before last Monday (11/19)). I told him the I'm in Lake In The Hills, and I know of others in Oswego and South Elgin that are having problems with signal strength, and we're all 40 or so miles west/northwest of downtown. He says he thinks "it might be a local interference problem", and he'll get back to me.

I've also asked him about any information on more HD programming from NBC, but he hasn't acknowledged those questions at all (I think we all know what that means...there's nothing to report.)

Again...if/when I hear anything, I'll post again.

Marc

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Downers Grove with solid 88 on a dtc-100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have lost NBC Chicago. I live in Lake in the Hills and for the past 2 weeks, nothing. I'm using a Panasonic TUDST50 and all other Chicago stations work fine. I've tried the re-scanning trick with no success.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, shame on me for not checking out NBC tonight. It is finally working for me. I don't know for how long, but hopefully things are back to normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's back for me too. Tried it as soon as I got home from work today...signal strength back in the 90s and a clear solid picture. I'll email Ken at NBC to see what (if anything) they did.

Marc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.