AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's a shame that they perpetuate inaccuracies (e.g. Good Morning Miami is HD) and can someone please explain this that I found on the site:

"For those of you are really technically inclined, think about this: movies and many primetime shows that are produced on film are made with only 24 pictures per second, so 1080i actually becomes progressive scan when film-based material is being broadcast!"

Have they employed the same public relations firm as Fox?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Aren't you splitting hairs here a bit?

I believe NBC's point with 1080i having a greater refresh rate than filmed programming properly illustrates their choice of 1080i over 720p. Did they avoid the advantage of 720p, namely smooth motion for sporting events? Yes.

But I don't think NBC's web site will be as succint as Mark Cuban was when he pointed out that 1080 is a bigger number than 720 and consumers perceive bigger to mean better. And since both give us a really good picture, I'll take whatever they offer.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
actually if they say that 1080i becomes progressive that is more then splitting a hair.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We finally are able to receive a DTV signal, I have yet to see an HD signal from our NBC channel, and it looks like there is starting to be more programs coming soon,

Hopefully one day In Nashville Tn, Hd and NBC will provide the signal!

Rick

·
Registered
85 Posts
WSMV is currently upgrading their system to pass HD through at this very moment. The DTV signal has been down for the last few days, probably due to this upgrade. A lot of people complained to them after thy refused to pass national NBC HD content, and I guess WSMV listens. We will see soon. There is no ETA on the digital equipment upgrade, but their signal has been down for 3 days now.

...patrick

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for the update, Sooner!! Hopefully they will keep it current and correct.... Now all we need is ABC. Keywork search FOR hdtv on ABC web SITE shows "OOPS" - nothing found.

C'mon Alex (ABC Pres.), I thought you were a friend???!!! Not even a web page??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well alll righttt

Too bad the Dixie Chicks aren't in HD...not a country fan but I like the thier music for the most part.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AMorrison
It's a shame that they perpetuate inaccuracies (e.g. Good Morning Miami is HD)
I think you must have been looking at an old version of their website; I couldn't find anywhere on nbc.com that says Good Morning Miami is broadcast in HDTV.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
"For those of you are really technically inclined, think about this: movies and many primetime shows that are produced on film are made with only 24 pictures per second, so 1080i actually becomes progressive scan when film-based material is being broadcast!"
This would be quite true if:

1) All HDTV's capable of displaying 1080p would do 3:2 pulldown removal (most probably will), and

2) The broadcasters didn't first filter the heck out of the video because they expect it to be viewed at 1080i. It is too bad they didn't plan more for this and say the stupid STB's and TV's should do that at home. Then you could choose not to do it if you had good equipment. If they could even agree on a more exact standard for interlaced filtering then they could probably make it somewhat reversible in a good STB or scaler.

- Tom

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100
actually if they say that 1080i becomes progressive that is more then splitting a hair.
I guess that would make it an interlaced hair? Well, with a good deinterlacer, you will have a progressive hair.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That explains all the problems I read about with "combing."

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100
If an HDTV set converts to progressive internally, then that statement

is correct. I agree that they are assuming a lot, but how many sets

actually scan right to the screen in interlaced ? My set certainly does not,

and I would guess that any set with various aspect modes does not,

for the simple reason that it is probally cheaper now to store and digitally

process a frame than to try to mess with the scan lines.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
This would be quite true if:

1) All HDTV's capable of displaying 1080p would do 3:2 pulldown removal (most probably will), and

2) The broadcasters didn't first filter the heck out of the video because they expect it to be viewed at 1080i. It is too bad they didn't plan more for this and say the stupid STB's and TV's should do that at home. Then you could choose not to do it if you had good equipment. If they could even agree on a more exact standard for interlaced filtering then they could probably make it somewhat reversible in a good STB or scaler.

- Tom
Could you eggspand on that ? What do the broadcasters filter for and why ?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
R. Aster may get the most clever post award for that one.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by S. A. Moore
If an HDTV set converts to progressive internally, then that statement

process a frame than to try to mess with the scan lines.
I don't know many HD sets that let you manipulate the HD signals. Almost all of them let you manipulate SD channels, because those are the ones that run through a scaler.

I actually wish you could get an HD RPTV that didn't have a scaler at all.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
""If an HDTV set converts to progressive internally, then that statement

process a frame than to try to mess with the scan""""

What are you saying your set doesn't interlace but shows the two fields making up 1080i as one progressive frame.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Every single CRT RPTV scans right to the screen in interlaced when displaying 1080i.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
at least NBC is trying to explain as best as they can to people who could care less about HDTV.

i for one am glad that they are trying to spur the growth of HDTV, so they get a few kudos from me. :)

oh, and if you want to have the webmaster make corrections, we should all send an email to him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.