AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Uprising (an excellent presentation about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising) on Kare 11-1 in Minneapolis, MN in two episodes on Sunday and Monday Night.

On Sunday I was viewing the 11-1 DT transmission.

Now Sunday's presentation was a letterbox within a 4*3, the 4*3 filling my 16*9 screen top to bottom, but not of course left to right. I use a Dish 6000 receiver connected to the a Mits 55805 with component cables (this is relevant!) By using the Partial Zoom on the Dish 6000, a fairly decent undistorted picture was received.

Now Monday, KARE apparently changed the parameters as I was presented, on 11-1 DT, with a stretched (left to right) letterbox filling my 16*9 screen left to right, Neither the TV nor the Dish receiver can correct this stretch, since there is no mode to only stretch the picture vertically.

I know that previous threads have discussed aspects (no pun intended) of this and even some viewers like the horizonal stretch. I don't! I was forced to switch to cable and NTSC, and use the TV sets zoom for viewing through an S-video connection which is inferior to the Component setup as received from the DT.

CBS (32-1) uses the 14*9 mode for upconverts which is a reasonable compromise and of course full HDTV in 16*9.

ABC (5-1) also stretches the upconverted picture left right as I view it. I am hoping they fix this when they move to Shoreview.

In NBC's case there must be parameters that it is changing, and I ask KARE not to stretch the picture. Use the 14*9 except for letter box when it should be 16*9.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dan, I'm not seeing any of these things on my HiPix based system. All of the channels look correct. Both 4 & 5 are coming through anamorphic and are displaying correctly as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Aslan...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asian

You mention 4 & 5, but not 11.

ABC 5 is anamorphic(Stretched). We are talking OTA here.

CBS 4 (32) is 14:9.

NBC 11 - KARE comes in anamorphic (stretched).

You see something different?

Dan

·
Registered
456 Posts
People using PC cards for KARE11 can do all sorts of stretch and size things with the window, or scan rate.

I can get KARE-11 DT to look fine on my WinTV-D card.

BUT .... with my Sony SAT-HD100 STB it stretches out since they did whatever they did last week, and it looks HORRIBLE.

Be sure you write [email protected] to give your comments.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.