AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reporting in my HDTV Insider Newsletter that industry sources have told me that NBC will do 11 hours per week of HDTV this fall, up from the 3.5 hours previously (and officially) announced.

At the "upfront" a number of current top NBC dramas were displayed in 16 x9 including the three L&Os, ER and The West Wing. My guess is these shows plus possibly their top rated comedies will round out the 11 hours.

The 11 hour number is of particular significance because it meets FCC Chairman Powell's 50% of prime time guideline.

With NBC DT likely to be back on the air in NY in Sept , I will be watching a lot more peacock programs.

·
Registered
28,182 Posts
The best & smartest show on TV by a wide margin, IMHO, is The West Wing. It's a travesty that it's not already in HD (and Crossing Jordan is??). Figures that they'd only do the minimum necessary to meet Powell's guidlines. NBC has got to get in the game! And speaking of games, how about sporting events (at least the ones they have left)? Any mention of that by your industry sources?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Great News! Thanks, Gary.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
This is awsome news! 11 is better than 4 is better than 0.. I can't WAIT for West Wing and ER. Oh man I'm going to turn into a hermit...

TM

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for the info.

I assume they are talking exclusively about primetime programming and their 5 hours per week of Jay Leno isn't meant to be included in the total of 11 hours.

Let's do the math:

Mondays

10:00 - Crossing Jordan - 1 hour

Tuesdays

8:00 - In-Laws - Half hour

9:00 - Frasier - Half hour

9:30 - Hidden Hills - Half hour

Wednesdays

9:00 - The West Wing - 1 hour

10:00 - Law & Order - 1 hour

Thursdays

8:00 - Friends - Half hour

9:00 - Will & Grace - Half hour

9:30 - Good Morning Miami - Half hour

10:00 - ER - 1 hour

Fridays

10:00 - Law & Order: SVU - 1 hour

Sundays

8:00 - American Dreams - 1 hour

9:00 - Law & Order: CI - 1 hour

10:00 - Boomtown - 1 hour

Total - 11 hours

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Ahhhh. Now that sounds more like it! :) If it turns out to be true I will take back all those bad things I said about them ;).

ron

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the info. Did your insider give any indication when there would be an official announcement, or when he can clue you in on which shows?

The idea of including The Tonight Show is also troubling to me.

Ron

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Given that next season is the last season for Friends, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't HD and scrubs was.

-phil

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Merson

At the "upfront" a number of current top NBC dramas were displayed in 16 x9 including the three L&Os, ER and The West Wing. My guess is these shows plus possibly their top rated comedies will round out the 11 hours.
Few people here work for the networks !

What is an L&O ????

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11

[BIf it turns out to be true I will take back all those bad things I said about them ;).

ron [/b]
I'll never take back the negative things I said and continue to say about NBC. They had to be stomped on and embarrassed by the government before they brought out some HDTV. And Gary's information is based upon "industry sources", which may or may not pan out (sorry Gary, but I've seen too many of these sources turn out to be no more reliable than a wishbone). Also it's Gary's guesses as to which series may be in HDTV. And if those "11" hours is accurate, I'll bet they include Leno.

I can't get at all excited about this thread. When there is an official announcement from NBC, I may let my heart rate go up by 10. Until them, ho hmmmmm, it's business as usual at NBC, and that business is no significant interest or investment in HDTV.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock
Gary,

Thanks for the info.

I assume they are talking exclusively about primetime programming and their 5 hours per week of Jay Leno isn't meant to be included in the total of 11 hours.
What do you think the odds are that they DON'T include Leno in those 11

hours ????

Further, I'll betcha the averaged the entire thing out, including the olyimpics.

My guess is they are allready figguring they provide 2.5-3 hours per week

based on creative accounting (Leno, Jordan+specials).

Come on, guys, soft news is no news.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by S. A. Moore

What do you think the odds are that they DON'T include Leno in those 11

hours ????

Odds are it will not be included since it is not a primetime show, if the 11 hours were meant to meet the 50% primetime quota.

·
Registered
702 Posts
L&O = Law and Order

I'm happy to hear this (voting for ER scrubs west wing and somewhat for friends and will and grace) but I'm skeptical. I think they are including Leno (Is his show 1 1/2 hours or 1 hour?) If it's 1.5, then that only leaves 3.5 hours of hdtv, not counting crossing jordan, you're down to 2.5. Hmmm. Even if Leno's only 1 hour, that's 6 hours a week.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
...I'll bet they include Leno.
I'll bite.

How much?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
According to the wording of Gary's post, anyway, it might very well include Leno. His post makes no mention of the source indicating that those hours are prime time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 11 hours does not include Jay Leno, he is not prime time.

As for the other comments: Some of you still ask why I no longer publish my free newsletter.

I am confident that NBC will make an official announcement when they are ready .

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.