1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NBC to Add HDTV in Primetime

Broadcasting & Cable

5/9/02 10:58:00 AM

NBC will do more of its primetime lineup in high-definition television next season, according to network officials.

The network has been criticized as an HDTV laggard relative to CBS and ABC for offering only one primetime show, Crossing Jordan, in HDTV ( it also does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in late-night).

NBC officials said no final decisions have been made on which shows will be offered in HDTV, but the orders will be made soon after Monday's upfront.

Privately, NBC officials were a little touchy on the criticism they've received over their HDTV offerings. Sure CBS and ABC offer most of their primetime in high-definition, they said, but NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series.

In partnership with Mark Cuban's HDNet, NBC has carried the Olympic Games, several National Basketball Association games and now the Triple Crown in HDTV. More high-definition sports programming is on the way, as well, network officials said.

http://www.tvinsite.com/index.asp?la...y=breakingNews

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why in the world should they be sensitive?

NBC has done, as far as I know, ZERO SPORTS PROGRAMMING WITHOUT HDNET. They are not a leader in sports, they are not a leader in programming, they are at best a sad laggard....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenC
What is "Monday's upfront"?
I think it is when the Fall schedule is announced to the advertisers.

As far as a leader in sports, I guess they forgot about CBS broadcasting the NFL playoffs, the Superbowl, SEC college football, the US Open, the Masters, the Sony Open and the NCAA basketball tournament. I guess a few NBA games here and there makes them a leader.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Excuse me while I laugh. NBC's HD sports contributions are negligible compared to CBS. Sensitive to criticism? Please. If anything, they haven't been criticized enough. Their HD contributions have been abysmal.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
"Upfront" is when they learn how much money the big advertizers and ad agencies are going to be willing to spend "upfront" once they've previewed the next Fall season offerings. This gives the networks a rough idea of what their income is going to be.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series.
Putting aside the blatantly false "leader" claim, sports will certainly drive HDTV, but movies? Not on network TV they will not! The people that really want movies will get the premium HD movie channels, where you can see the movies uncut and unedited. How can these people not see that their ticket is in their original programming, which is not available anywhere else? Are they myopic or simply just stupid?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz

How can these people not see that their ticket is in their original programming, which is not available anywhere else? Are they myopic or simply just stupid?
It sounds like marketing department doublespeak to me. Like communism, sometimes the big lies are easier to sell than the small ones.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I think you are right Vic, it is the primetime programming that will do it for them and bring in the everyday audience to HD as well. I also agree with Dave. I think that was just a way for them to try to "explain" their sorry track record. Play up the only thing they have done (which they didn't even do themselves :(). Lets just hope they are not so nearsighted as to not produce their big shows in HD as some are speculating.

ron

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz

Putting aside the blatantly false "leader" claim, sports will certainly drive HDTV, but movies? Not on network TV they will not! The people that really want movies will get the premium HD movie channels, where you can see the movies uncut and unedited. How can these people not see that their ticket is in their original programming, which is not available anywhere else? Are they myopic or simply just stupid?
Absolutely 100% correct. Theatrical movies are a dead issue on network TV, and most of the networks have figured this out (in fact, do any of the networks even DO movies anymore except ABC? I don't know, because I can't bear to watch them, even if they are in HD on ABC because of the editing and commercials). For broadcast TV, the content that will drive HD is sports programming and their lead prime-time series (especially dramas). Can anyone say "ER"?

John C.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can't say anymore than what already has been said.

I agree with every comment listed here.

That's it.

NBC, let's get the lies together

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdcolombo
Can anyone say "ER"?

John C.
By the time ER gets shown in HDTV, everyone will have left the cast.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock
Privately, NBC officials were a little touchy on the criticism they've received over their HDTV offerings...

NBC has been a leader in sports[/url]
oh god spare us the BS and just deliver. even the execs are acting like babies now.

leader in sports? HDNET held your hand through the olympics and you showed a Bball game or 2... that makes you 3rd in my book. behind HDNET and CBS.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Personally, I don't care what kind of corporate lies / spin they put on this. If they add a half dozen HD shows in prime time, I will be happy, and will not bash them. If they come up with just one or two more, THEN I will bash.

Mike

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
"Privately, NBC officials were a little touchy on the criticism they've received over their HDTV offerings. Sure CBS and ABC offer most of their primetime in high-definition, they said, but NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series. "
A leader in sports? Joke....and not a funny one at that. Leave about HDnet co-produced sports and I count a total of one...an NBA all star game 3 years ago! And with the NBA moving to ABC/ESPN what sports do they show that are watchable anyway? Horses running in circles? See ya!

They just don't get it. There are a handful of shows I started to watch only because they are in HD...Alias, The Practice, King of Queens, CSI, Becker, to name a few. In fact, there are currently zero shows I watch on NBC...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
[Privately, NBC officials were a little touchy on the criticism they've received over their HDTV offerings. Sure CBS and ABC offer most of their primetime in high-definition, they said, but NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series.
What!!! NBC officials a little touchy, jeeeez you would thing that a large company like NBC would have some people in charge with some cahuna's, not a bunch of crybabies. If they were a little touchy on the subject that would be a clear sign that they are not able to do their job and provide what their customers want.

Critisizm is a good thing, thats where you learn that you might need to do something to impove on what your customers want. If they can't handle it mabye the need to get a job with less stress.

Dave

·
Registered
936 Posts
Leader in sports, hahahaha. get out! Didn't I hear that they were going to cover Arena Football games next year. I only watch one NBC show, Ed, and I watch more CBS than I have would have thanks to HDTV.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.