AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really getting tired of NBC's shows starting one minute before the hour on so many of their shows. First it was ER, but now it has expanded to the various Law and Order shows. As other ReplayTV owners know, trying to schedule around this is a royal pain. What I want to know is who sets the schedules that ReplayTV uses? Is this NBC's fault, ReplayTV's, or someone else? I'm just curious to whom I should be complaining.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
***** to NBC.

I think they're purposly screwing with Tivo and RTV users.

John

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
They're doing it to discourage ANYBODY (not just Replay and TiVo users) from being able to change channels unless they're willing to miss some content from one network or the other.

Tim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
***** to NBC.
Right idea, but wrong target.

To the networks, viewers are freeloaders. They get what they're given.

If you really want to get some movement complain to the advertisers. If the networks get complaints from advertisers (the money people) they might be more inclined to take action.

=Dave=

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
good idea. we need to start compiling a list of the advertisers on the odd-timed shows and looking up contact info for those companies. i'll take a look at some of my shows and try making a list. One that comes to mind that I record is Ed. Any other volunteers?

Ed, 1/16 (8:59pm start time)

Pillsbury (dinner rolls)

L'Oreal Paris (Preference hair coloring)

Campbell's Soup (Soup)

Walt Disney (Teacher's Pet movie)

Acura (Acura TL)

Washington Mutual

Staples (Ink Cartridges)

MasterCard

Kleenex

Pringles

Dove (Weightless Moisterizers)

Wendy's

Prego

Advil

Nestle (Coffeemate)

Kia (Sorrento)

Acura (MDX)

SBC (Yahoo DSL)

Honda (Civic)

Georgia Pacific (Quilted Northern toilet paper)

(Head & Shoulders)

(Curel ultra healing lotion)

(Trident White)

(Tropicana Twiser)

(Tylenol 8 hour)

Ed, 1/9 (8:59pm start time)

Subway (Atkin's-friendly menu)

SBC

Hyundai (Santa Fe SUV)

Universal Studios (Along Came Polly movie)

Lean Pockets

Victoria's Secret (semi-annual sale)

GlaxoSmithKline (Advair asthma)

Georgia Pacific (Brawny paper towels)

(Clean & Clear scrub)

(Formula 409 wipes)

Wyeth (Advil Code and Sinus)

Wyeth (Chapstick)

Hillshire Farms/Glad (Deli Select meats in Gladware)

HP (digital photography)

Sears

Olay (Regenerist serum)

Quaker (Oatmeal)

Ok that's all for me for now. Looks like alot of big names here. Still need contact info and some angles of attack for the write in)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone else see the irony in a group of RTV users complaining to advertisers?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Apparently, this schedule tricks that NBC has been playing is also annoying Jack Cafferty of CNN. He just spent about 2 mins on air bitching about what NBC is doing. He said they were doing it to cram in more commercials. He also had a quote from NBC's president but i cant remember what he said.

Wait a minute, I CAN REWIND LIVE TV!!!!

Ok. The president of NBC said they do not do it to annoy viewers. Jack made it clear that it was very annoying.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by repnewbie
Apparently, this schedule tricks that NBC has been playing is also annoying Jack Cafferty of CNN. He just spent about 2 mins on air bitching about what NBC is doing. He said they were doing it to cram in more commercials. He also had a quote from NBC's president but i cant remember what he said.

Wait a minute, I CAN REWIND LIVE TV!!!!

Ok. The president of NBC said they do not do it to annoy viewers. Jack made it clear that it was very annoying.
He must not be the only one.

The story made today's (Monday, Jan 19) NY Post, page 19. For those who don't have access to a paper edition:

TV Clock Shock

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There was a message on the TVbarn list the other day that mentioned this. Apparently there is an NBC affiliate that is "time shifting" their broadcasts back to the correct times again for their viewers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info! That's exactly why I logged in to the forums for the first time in many months. My wife was just saying last night that I might need to adjust the "clock" in the ReplayTV because it was chopping some of her shows. I was going to see if I could find that info, but alas, my unit is fine! It's the money-grubbing networks' fault.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup it really sucks. I record 24 on my replay, but I miss Law & Order now because it starts at 8:29 pm. I'm not sure how hard it is for Replay, but maybe they can just start recording Law & Order even though it already started 1 minute ago. Missing 1 minute is better than missing the entire show.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The only way around it right now is by manually recording the channel. A negative pad would be really nice.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Actually this NBC nonsense is good business for Tivo & RTV. The most effective way of dealing with the resulting conflicts is to buy another PVR so that you can record 2 or more overlapping shows at the same time. I used to wonder why I "needed" 3 RTVs, but now I'm glad I do. In fact, Wednesday nights right now completely use up all 3 RTVs during primetime, and sometimes I wish I had a 4th to catch Lakers Wednesday night games.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What is also annoying is having shows back-to-back; that is, the closing credits from the last show and IMMEDIATELY having the opening of the next show without any commercials or promos in-between.

=Dave=

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.