AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or does some of the live coverage look highly compressed or is it a problem on my end?

EDIT: It only look's to be compressed on NBC sport's network MSNBC looks fine. weird

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
It could be. Maybe try the "motion flow" or whatever it is called on your HDTV if it is jerkey; otherwise if it is macroblocking, IDK how to fix it. I was watching some on NBC Sports last night and it looked fine using my HDHR Prime..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
source is charter, it's just weird both channel's are part of the same network yet there's a noticeable difference in PQ between both of the channel's.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I'm on Charter too. Suppose I'll have to take a look at the MSNBC feed. I was watching soccer a bit last night too and it looked great to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I think I figured it out I just did a comparison between my tv and projector both have the same problem. Everything on MSNBC is fine NBC sports network picture is fine with still or slow moving close up shots but distance shots are a little fuzzy if that makes sense and there's a ton of macro blocking on fast moving close up shots.Everything was fine during the NHL playoff's on NBC sports network.So I think I can rule out a problem on my end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was under the impression that the feeds out of the UK are at 50 fps at 1080i. Wouldn't that cause a degradation in PQ compared to the 60 fps you'd get out a US broadcast?

I will say the NBC soccer and basketball olympic channels do look pretty bad compared to the other NBC feeds.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
I'm thinking that NBC has their own feed coming from over there. Because the UK stream is also H264. So I don't think it is being transcoded on the fly.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714  /t/1421958/nbcs-olympic-picture-quality#post_22258353

I'm thinking that NBC has their own feed coming from over there. Because the UK stream is also H264. So I don't think it is being transcoded on the fly.
But it does look like both are about 15mbps.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
True but maybe the OP is thinking it is a CableCARD tuner issue?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler  /t/1421958/nbcs-olympic-picture-quality#post_22258275

I was under the impression that the feeds out of the UK are at 50 fps at 1080i. Wouldn't that cause a degradation in PQ compared to the 60 fps you'd get out a US broadcast?

I will say the NBC soccer and basketball olympic channels do look pretty bad compared to the other NBC feeds.

The NBC Sports soccer feeds this past weekend were terrible on Dish.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts