AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoyed the new spinoff show from "Jag". The opening show had really high production values with that Air Force One set. The characters are interesting with my favorite being "Ducky", the medical examiner played by David McCullum. If they can keep the series going like this, they might have a winner.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In terms of HD quality, I did not see any difference between this show and Jag on my 60" display. HDnet and Discovery HD gives you the wow factor but 'NCIS' did not. The story of the show was very interested and I liked it but it is the first one and I hope it is not a let down from here on.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
In terms of HD quality, I did not see any difference between this show and Jag on my 60" display. HDnet and Discovery HD gives you the wow factor but 'NCIS' did not.
NCIS is a film based transfer. Most of what you see on HDNet and Discovery HD is HD Video. They have very different looks and really shouldn't be compared. If you expect HD film transfers to look like HD Video, you may be disappointed every time.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Maybe it was my local CBS affiliate (Philly's KYW 3-1 DT), but the picture was very red & a bit dark. "The Dictrict" is still one of the very best HD shows I've seen. As for "Navy NCIS" itself, I found the show to be unoriginal, poorly acted & w/lame dialogue. But, that's just IMO. ;)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
Maybe it was my local CBS affiliate (Philly's KYW 3-1 DT), but the picture was very red & a bit dark. "The Dictrict" is still one of the very best HD shows I've seen. As for "Navy NCIS" itself, I found the show to be unoriginal, poorly acted & w/lame dialogue. But, that's just IMO. ;)
Same here. I liked the show, but the PQ was average at best.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
I too found the picture very red and dark from the Detroit affiliate (viewing from Starchoice). Glad I wasn't the only one.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I thought the picture quality was good. But I didn't like the show. The jokes weren't funny or timed right. The part where they lock the FBI out of the plane is just stupid.

The second guy who died drove a Porsche 911 Turbo, I would of went into the military if I knew they made enough to drive a $120k car.

The end was just silly with the guns locked behind a thin wooden door with only a simple key to unlock it like an office drawer.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Dark in Harrisburg, PA too.

I think the show has promise, but I agree the episode was pretty lame in a lot of respects. And Ben, I thought the same thing about the Porsche! I actually said, "Yeah, right," out loud when I saw the car.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I didn't think the PQ was any better than DVD.

Judging Amy and CSI/CSI Miami are the best looking shows on CBS (other than football).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Did anybody compare the opening credits between HD and SD? I thought some of the text they had up on the screen was so small it would have been illegible on SD. In any event, I was impressed.

Lee

·
Registered
22,202 Posts
Daniel, you mean the good lookin' brunette who got fired from the Secret Service???

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
I guess Steve. She appeared in two episodes of JAG last year that was basically the pilot for this show. She was one of Mark Harmons agents
You know, I'm glad you cleared that up because I kept waiting for her to appear in the premier the other night. Now I know why...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm watching NCIS for the first time in HD. It doesn't look nearly as crisp as CSI, CSIM, Law & Order (any)...anyone else think it's a bit subpar for HD? Maybe the SOTU spoiled me, but I tend to agree w/a couple of the previous comments about it being both excessively dark and red.

Brian

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Much of the stuff produced for CBS (this I had confirmed) is shot using soft focus filters on the lenses. It is not just the 24P film rate that creates this soft look. film just creates a surreal flow to the image timing. AS long as there are great story tellers who know film doing better stories than directors who know video, we will always have the film look to these episodes on TV. It's a part of the culture. HDTV just makes it far more obvious than it ever was before.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Much of the stuff produced for CBS (this I had confirmed) is shot using soft focus filters on the lenses. It is not just the 24P film rate that creates this soft look. film just creates a surreal flow to the image timing. AS long as there are great story tellers who know film doing better stories than directors who know video, we will always have the film look to these episodes on TV. It's a part of the culture. HDTV just makes it far more obvious than it ever was before.
There is nothing unique about shows produced for CBS. They are shot exactly the same way as shows produced for any other network. Diffusion is a very common tool of photography at every level, from print ads to feature films. As for directors, in television directors are largely either producers on the program or "guns for hire." They have little to no say in how shows look. Those decisions are the responsibility of the executive producer, the production designer, and the cinematographer (also known as the Director of Photography) - and, to some degree, the wardrobe designer. And in almost all cases, the basic rule is to set a proper mood for the story being told, and to have the actors look as good as they possibly can. Hence the use of tools like creative lighting and diffusion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Daniel, you mean the good lookin' brunette who got fired from the Secret Service???
No, he's talking about Robin Lively who was in the pilot for the show which were two JAG episodes from last year. The brunette (Sasha Alexander) who got fired from the Secret Service is her replacement in the current series.

http://entertainment.myway.com/celeb...06_2003_3.html

BTW, I think NCIS looks great, it might be a tad dark, but nowhere near as bad as the West Wing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I watched a little of the show last night, and I have to wonder why they do the transfer that way. First thing I noticed was intense oversaturation of the flesh tones: people's faces were red! Then I noticed the blacks were badly crushed. It was so dark there was no detail in the shadows. I tried raising my set's brightness, but the sheen of black merely became opaque, indicating the blacks were crushed deliberately.

Certainly it's a producer's perogitive to give a series a "look", but I found this to be unpleasant to watch. What is the dramatic purpose of eliminating detail in the darker areas? How do the characters having red faces make them more involving?

After a half hour my wife thought the show was too talky so we switched it off. To me it was just ugly to watch. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.