AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am wondering. Can someone recommend the best near-field speakers, while keeping the budget in the triple digits for a pair.

I already have 100Watts of amplification per channel, so they don't need to be active, but I would like for them to have good sound and deep bass (at least in the near field of

Also I'm wondering if there is any sort of speaker (also in my budget range) that you could call a hybrid near-field / far-field speaker. ie one that would do well 3feet away, but also fill a small room with sound.

Last but not least, would it be more reasonable to get 500$ monitors, and 500$ hifi speakers, attached to the A and B speaker outputs, and just switch for each usage? In terms of total optimum sound.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one know? BTW, I'm not looking for an end all answer or anything, I'm happy with any suggestions to audition.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately USA ID speakers are out of the question for me, as I live in germany.

Here's another question:

How much better will near-field speakers perform in the near-field than far-field speakers?

And vice versa, how much worse would they do in the far-field than dedicated far-field speakers?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Check Triangle Speakers, they are made in France, usually offered at very good prices, and I'm sure they can be found in your neck of the woods...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Take a look at Epos speakers. They are british so you should be able to find a dealer in your country. They just replaced their new M series models but I would check out the M5i and M12i.

Another speaker to check out is Eltax. They make the very impressive Monitor III. And also take a look at the french speaker Atohm. You might like the Sirocco.

www.eposacoustics.com
www.atohm.com
www.eltax.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, I thought for sure I wasn't going to get any more answers here, with how slow the posts were going.

Thanks to the three of you, I will look up your recommendations online when I get home today, and see where I can source them locally to audition.

Is there anything to look at/for when purchasing monitors?

Can someone refer me to a good guide or knowledge base? 5.1 setup guides are so abundant these days, but you don't find much about monitors, probably because people who work in recording studios should know what they're doing....

·
Registered
67 Posts
You would ideally go ask such a question at a music creation / production forum such as Cakewalk, Steinberg, etc. You'll find all sorts of brands there that are popular that are not even recognized here because apparently the near field sound quite different from music / HT speakers.

Here's a place to look at many...

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Studio-Monitors--2862

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...onitoring.html

Good luck... by teh way, Adam monitors are apparently quite good, as are Dynaudio... I don't own either.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Dynaudio speakers at guitar center for 1k are freakin awsome.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am also looking for good 8" powered near field monitors. Does anyone know of a good home recording forum? What is the standard in home studio monitors? JBL? I've used Tannoys before and liked them.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am also looking for good 8" powered near field monitors. Does anyone know of a good home recording forum? What is the standard in home studio monitors? JBL? I've used Tannoys before and liked them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts