AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting two SVS PB10-NSD or PB12-NSD speakers (likely in combination with the SBS-01 system) and using them as end-tables, and had a few questions. My room is 20' x 15' x 8'.

1) Can I realistically use these as end-tables? Will I be able to put a drinking glass or a lamp on these while they're "doing their thing" or will my glass end up shaking a lot?

2) One of the SVS reps recommended that I position them so that the speaker faced out toward the room (same direction I'd be facing when I was sitting on the couch). On the one hand, it would seem to me that facing the speaker toward the couch should allow me to feel the bass more, but the dimensions of the sub are such that positioning the subs this way would result in them taking up too much floor space, so I was actually glad to hear the SVS rep tell me this. But I just wanted to run this past the folks here in case anyone has had personal experience with near-field placement near a couch and had an opinion that differed from theirs.

3) As for the 10" vs the 12" models, I'm not sure which way to go. Two PB12-NSD's should reach slightly lower frequency ranges, would make for a better end-table height-wise (though probably a bit oversized in depth and width), and would provide more bass power overall. But I'm worried that it might be overkill for me as my wife always complains about the volume of my movie playing as it is, so I'm worried that I'd end up with more speaker power than I'd ever take advantage of. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
475 Posts
If the cabinet shakes you have failed in the construction of it. I have my subwoofer in use as an end table, facing out from the wall next to a chair. It holds a lamp and my favorite beverage. You may note that some seated areas of the room may experience more or less bass than other places. That is why worrying about placement before actually experimenting with placement is a wasted effort.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments. Any thoughts/suggestions from others?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Im surprised the SVS rep could tell you where to place the sub, or the direction it should face. Even if he saw the room, he couldnt accurately tell you where to place it. Best performance is based upon trial and error for the most part, and doesnt typically happen on the first try.

Google sub placement and you'll get an idea, but experimenting with different placements, and direction the sub faces is how you will get the best performance. Volume settings, phase, crossover point etc all play a part as well. I would be concerned about a rep that would give advise like that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
BTW, with your room size I would opt for the larger sub, or two of the smaller ones. But getting two subs could, actually will, take more time to integrate properly, but you will have better all around perfomance.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. FWIW, I've started to lean towards the idea of just getting a single sub (at least to start). And if I do that, I may opt for the larger 12" version, even though it's probably overkill (i.e., my wife probably won't let me crank the volume up far enough to notice the added power). If I go with a single sub, two good spots for placement would be in the front corner of the room or in the rear corner (near my main seating position, but not directly against the side of the couch like an end-table would be). In the latter position, I have a window and a slider going out to the deck. How much do I need to worry about the subwoofer causing the windows to rattle? It's a newer (4-year-old) home with thermal windows, so I think they're pretty tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.