AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room (14.6 x 13.10) is close to a square. It also has a 3 foot entrance opening which opens into a foyer area. My question is, does that opening help eliminate some of the bass problems that a square room can have?


I also currently have the front speakers aligned along the longer (14.6) wall. Would there be any benefit to rotating the set-up to have the front speakers aligned along the shorter (13.10) wall?


Thanks for your thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
I have a rectangle room that is open on one end and still had quite serious bass problems. The best way to find the answer to your questions is to experiment with all the potential speaker placements using music, your ears, and a bass tester. After you find the best placement, you'll need to asses what's still missing with the bass tester. It's not easy and is time consuming, but very rewarding when you get it right. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts

Quote:
...does it ever end.

It seems when I get my stuff to the point of near perfection, I MOVE! Then it starts all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23 /forum/post/15421745


does that opening help eliminate some of the bass problems that a square room can have?

It helps, but doesn't solve all the problems. You still need bass traps.

Quote:
Would there be any benefit to rotating the set-up to have the front speakers aligned along the shorter (13.10) wall?

Yes, but in your case the difference is minor.


--Ethan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Ethan,


As I started researching traps, I see your name everywhere.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. The opening I referred to is actually at one of the room corners along the rear wall. Due to the WAF factor, I do not have a whole lot of options. I like the corner "plant holder" traps you all have. Do you think a couple of those along the front wall corners would be beneficial? Is the rear wall as important since one corner is already opened? Thanks again for your input.


Squire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
squire23,


Your room is not "officially" square, as the dimensions aren't within 5% of each other. The 5% isn't an exact number, but it is a common and reasonable guideline. So the room modes won't really overlap and have the potential problems of a square room.


And yes, the opening to the foyer will help, particularly if it is at a corner. Of course, you lose any possibility of sound isolation. But a corner which opens into a relatively much larger space is like having a perfect bass trap there. You can't get any better than this.


Regards,

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/15446034


squire23,


Your room is not "officially" square, as the dimensions aren't within 5% of each other. The 5% isn't an exact number, but it is a common and reasonable guideline. So the room modes won't really overlap and have the potential problems of a square room.


And yes, the opening to the foyer will help, particularly if it is at a corner. Of course, you lose any possibility of sound isolation. But a corner which opens into a relatively much larger space is like having a perfect bass trap there. You can't get any better than this.


Regards,

Terry

Thanks Terry. That is good to know. For the most part I think my room sounds pretty good, but want to make improvements where I can. Just wonder how much better things could be with a better room, but perhaps my room is not as bad as I thought. Thanks for your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Hello squire23

Your room dims are not that far off from mine (12.5W x 15.6L)


My spkrs are placed on the short wall though. I have (2) doors in my left rear corner. As Terry pointed out I keep the one open to the main basement to use as a bass trap.


Balance is what it is all about. What ever you use in your front left corner, do the same to the right. And yes it makes a big difference IMHO to also do the remaining rear corner. Also, you will want to add absorption to your frontwall, sidewalls, and especially the wall behind your LP.


This will create envelopment, and coherent bass.


Good luck,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by max190 /forum/post/15446934


Hello squire23

Your room dims are not that far off from mine (12.5W x 15.6L)


My spkrs are placed on the short wall though. I have (2) doors in my left rear corner. As Terry pointed out I keep the one open to the main basement to use as a bass trap.


Balance is what it is all about. What ever you use in your front left corner, do the same to the right. And yes it makes a big difference IMHO to also do the remaining rear corner. Also, you will want to add absorption to your frontwall, sidewalls, and especially the wall behind your LP.


This will create envelopment, and coherent bass.


Good luck,

Thanks for the input. I'm looking into doing all the above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23 /forum/post/15442789


Due to the WAF factor, I do not have a whole lot of options. I like the corner "plant holder" traps you all have. Do you think a couple of those along the front wall corners would be beneficial? Is the rear wall as important since one corner is already opened?

Sorry for the delay replying. I usually pop in here every day, but I was busy the past few days.


Ideally you'd have as many full size bass traps as you can manage. Our Planter traps work well for their size, and if that's all you can fit so be it. But I always try to talk people into large traps when possible. And Yes, an opening is usually good, though it depends on what's past the opening.


--Ethan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just one follow up question related to sub placement. If a sub is placed in a corner, would you still want a bass trap in that corner behind the sub? Or, would recomment against corner placement for a sub?


Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23 /forum/post/15464202


Just one follow up question related to sub placement. If a sub is placed in a corner, would you still want a bass trap in that corner behind the sub? Or, would recomment against corner placement for a sub?


Thanks again.

Trap can be placed behind the sub, or it can sit on top of the sub.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top