AVS Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 3160 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Hi guys. How much of db increase does MB frequencies (assuming its 50-120Hz) need to get the strong chest slam if sub is not NF? I have a 23x14x8 sealed room and my subs are placed 75" away from MLP. I have been trying to get that super punchy MB slam. Before I doubt my subs, wanna know if I have dialed them properly. Currently this is what I have

30Hz: 12dB Hotter
50Hz: 10dB Hotter
80: 8dB
100: 5dB
120: 3.5dB
150: 2.5dB
300: 1dB
400: Flat

I have good room treatment and reflection is in good control and therefore, I can turn up the system fairly loud.
Thx.
Your question is simple and straightforward. The answer is not!

What subs (sealed or ported?)? What main speakers & x-over? Sub EQ? REQ? What measurement tools?

I find that boost centered at 63Hz is the most effective. It requires trial & error.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ordered a 1200D today,should be delivered on Thursday,I currently have a HSU MBM,going to see if there is much difference. I'm assuming that the Behringer should be better,I'll keep ya posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
I ordered a 1200D today,should be delivered on Thursday,I currently have a HSU MBM,going to see if there is much difference. I'm assuming that the Behringer should be better,I'll keep ya posted.

Well I received my 1200 today,so far so good,what are the increments for the frequencies? So I know where I'm at with the controls,what kind of knob positions are people using? Just to get me going. You the way my room is on a Concrete floor in my basement. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well I received my 1200 today,so far so good,what are the increments for the frequencies? So I know where I'm at with the controls,what kind of knob positions are people using? Just to get me going. You the way my room is on a Concrete floor in my basement. Thanks for any help.

Last night I did some more adjusting of the Gain,Boost,Frequency of Boost and I have it sounding very good,works good with my Epic Subs. Still more testing to do but so far I'm really liking the extra Feel without having to play with my Empires to much.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,785
Last night I did some more adjusting of the Gain,Boost,Frequency of Boost and I have it sounding very good,works good with my Epic Subs. Still more testing to do but so far I'm really liking the extra Feel without having to play with my Empires to much.

Congrats on the 1200d! It really is the little engine that could!

Dial it in via how they feel first, then check your FR.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So far the 1200D is much more impactful than my HSU midbass cabinet! So I bought another one! Lol. Was watching Pacific Rim last night and with both of them with the Gain on 9-10 the sound was The best sound I've ever heard in my room or most rooms I've ever heard! They are sitting about 3-4' apart behind my couch.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Your question is simple and straightforward. The answer is not!

What subs (sealed or ported?)? What main speakers & x-over? Sub EQ? REQ? What measurement tools?

I find that boost centered at 63Hz is the most effective. It requires trial & error.
Sorry, I totally missed your post.
Subs: 2 Gamma 218 placed at 75" away from MLP on each side of room, 2 DIY passive subs each with 18" in front of room (all subs sealed and placed carefully to get best FR).
Mains: L/C/R JBL 4722N
Room Correction System: Dirac.
Cross-Over: Currently using at 100
Measurement Tool: REW

Also, since I use Dirac, boosting a specific area in FR is fairly easy. Sub is 10dB hot. Here is my current FR at MLP.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
So a few months ago I incorporated a v1801 vnf as right behind my middle recliner. Great effect love what it does. I recently purchased a pair of dt-bp7000s and use them as surrounds. They are within a couple feet of my side chairs. They also do a great job with tactile feel.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm getting ready to take down my setup and begin construction on a dedicated room. I'm currently in an open basement using 4 Danley DTS-10's. I had a hard time getting the Danleys to all play nicely together but am still learning. I'm in Dayton, Ohio and see a couple guys are close if anyone is willing to help/teach? I'd also love to check out your setups.....any way back to the point.

The dedicated room is in a basement on a concrete slab. I really want to build a riser for 2 rows of seats and design it with TR in mind. After seeing this thread o decided to buy a 1200D to see what I thought (I did have an HSU MBM a few years ago but never got it working to my liking). So far I like the effect from the D1200. I do have a lot of tweaking to do as I feel I'm losing some fidelity of the DTS-10's.

it will be difficult to design the riser I'm thinking because after soundproofing the room ceiling height will only be 7'8" or so and I wanna keep as much height as possible. I plan on placing one DTS-10 in each corner of the room when it's finalized with my original idea being to build the riser multi level so both rows of seating would be on the riser as well as the rear DTS-10s.

Reading into this thread I thought I'd try the 1200D to see how I like it. And now am thinking of only building a riser for the rear seating, subs still on riser but putting 3-4 of the 1200D's or 3 or 4 DIY sound group MBM's as they both have smaller dimensions as I'll need to keep the rear riser no higher than 13" or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions? And again I'd love to meet some of the Ohio guys in the thread and maybe get some setup advice and help with REW.

Sorry if things were repeated wife and kids wouldn't leave me alone as I was typing this 😗

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,790
I'm getting ready to take down my setup and begin construction on a dedicated room. I'm currently in an open basement using 4 Danley DTS-10's. I had a hard time getting the Danleys to all play nicely together but am still learning. I'm in Dayton, Ohio and see a couple guys are close if anyone is willing to help/teach? I'd also love to check out your setups.....any way back to the point.

The dedicated room is in a basement on a concrete slab. I really want to build a riser for 2 rows of seats and design it with TR in mind. After seeing this thread o decided to buy a 1200D to see what I thought (I did have an HSU MBM a few years ago but never got it working to my liking). So far I like the effect from the D1200. I do have a lot of tweaking to do as I feel I'm losing some fidelity of the DTS-10's.

it will be difficult to design the riser I'm thinking because after soundproofing the room ceiling height will only be 7'8" or so and I wanna keep as much height as possible. I plan on placing one DTS-10 in each corner of the room when it's finalized with my original idea being to build the riser multi level so both rows of seating would be on the riser as well as the rear DTS-10s.

Reading into this thread I thought I'd try the 1200D to see how I like it. And now am thinking of only building a riser for the rear seating, subs still on riser but putting 3-4 of the 1200D's or 3 or 4 DIY sound group MBM's as they both have smaller dimensions as I'll need to keep the rear riser no higher than 13" or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions? And again I'd love to meet some of the Ohio guys in the thread and maybe get some setup advice and help with REW.

Sorry if things were repeated wife and kids wouldn't leave me alone as I was typing this 😗
Hey there! You've got quite the fire power with the quad DTS10s! Nice!

Normally I'd gladly swing by and help (I'm in Cincinnati), but way too busy at the moment. Perhaps @laugsbach would be interested...

My immediate thought is to put your a pair of your DTS10s in the riser with the mouth firing up at your seats. @Scott Simonian built a sub riser and is very effective.

You could also put the mbms as you envisioned behind those seats. That would be some serious TR and Intensity! You'll get the ulf wobble from the dts and chest slam from the mbms.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thanks Dom. Buildings the DTS-10s into the riser was also a thought but I'm worried at some point I may have to get into the cabinets if wiring were to come loose or something happens with a driver. Like I said I'm getting ready to disassemble everything and build the new room in January it would love some help getting everything fine tuned when the roo is done! I'm in the craft beer business and would be more than willing to pay in beer ;)

On another note I was able to get the 1200D integrated fairly well and things are sounding great!

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,792
I'm in the craft beer business and would be more than willing to pay in beer ;)
Now you're talking my language...lol

Hit me up when your room is done, and hopefully I can find time to come dial it in with you. :cool:

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Are any of you guys using the XLR output on the 1200D to feed something else? Do you know if that output is a straight pass-thru?

I'm thinking of using it to feed my iNuke for my (yet to be purchased) Crowsons.

EDIT: Ahhh, just found the answer myself from the manual. RTFM, duh!

THRU
XLR jacks send out
full-range copies of each
input signal.

OUTPUT
XLR jacks send
out filtered copies of each
input signal. Each signal is
processed through a 100 Hz
high-pass filter for use with
mid- and high-frequency
satellite speakers.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It should work very well as long as you can accommodate the large size. The specs are comparable to the other PA subs costing upwards of $750.
Thx, btw, while I am at it, any good driver options for DIY MBM ventures being mentioned around here?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hey,

What crossover do you guys use for your nearfield/MBM subs?
I placed two HT18 v2s right against the back of the LP, but too many vocals came through with the 120hz crossover. Just curious.

2781 - 2800 of 3160 Posts