AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding some nearfield subs because...well to be honest, I can't stop. So indulge me.

Currently my 9.2 setup has 2 JBL 120pii subs. 12" ported subs, 400rms (IIRC) on the front wall. They can produce ample amounts of bass for my approx 16x17 room.

I was toying with the idea of "mini buttkickers lfe" or similar and stumbled upon nearfield subs. My room wasn't designed with nearfield subs in mind and behind my main two chairs is a riser, so space is very limited. While the chairs recline, the part that reclines ends up above the riser.

How big does a nearfield sub(s) have to be? I've seen people experiement with car audio subs in ported boxes and thought to myself...I still have 2 8" Soundstream Exact subs...hmmmm. While re-purposing equipment is a nice way to save some cash, I'm not opposed to buying new stuff. Unfortunately space is my biggest concern.

Would probably power them off a Inuke1000dsp as the amp would need it's own dsp since I can't control the receiver sub outputs separately (Onkyo NR-818)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The transducers will offer you better LFE and performance at a lesser cost compared to more subs. The option to replace the existing sub with something more power and impact is an option considering limited space.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.