AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know much about the specifics of locating subs nearfield. I tried doing some searching but I couldn't find specific answers I was looking for. Maybe you fine folks on this board can help educate me. The questions are as follows:

1) I have a large volume listening space. I am considering locating a sub behind the couch. It could be anywhere from right behind the MLP up to about 8' away. Is there a specific distance where something is considered "nearfield"?
2) I understand nulls and room response will change with different sub locations but will a nearfield sub still be susceptible to room nulls?
3) Does it make any difference when placed nearfield (for my situation) if the sub is firing directly into the back of the couch, to the left/right or straight backwards?
4) If the sub is nearfield but not directly behind me (off to the left or right a few feet), will it cause one of my ears to feel significantly more pressure than the other? If so, can that be alleviated by changing the facing direction of the sub?
5) Other than cosmetics, are there disadvantages to sound quality when doing nearfield?
6) I understand that in nearfield, ported subs have much greater tactile response than a sealed sub. Is that the main difference between ported and sealed for nearfield?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
These are nearly identical to the questions I was just about to ask this forum! I hope you don't mind if I follow along?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are nearly identical to the questions I was just about to ask this forum! I hope you don't mind if I follow along?

The more the merrier.

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
428 Posts
I had ported VBSS subs right behind my couch for a little less than a year and at first I loved them.

Come to find out that they were what was causing my ears to ring after every movie. So I went with a open baffle shaker type setup instead, aka BOSS Back and have never considered going back to a NF setup.

Moral of the story is if you want to shake then go with a BOSS setup, if you need more spl then I suggest spending it on more far field subs. Sorry, not a fan of NF after finding out what open baffle is all about.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
107 Posts
If open baffle is not possible for you then NF can still provide excellent SQ and improved TR. Since the sub will play localizable frequencies even if you cross under 80 hz (LFE goes to 120 hz) it's best to try to center it behind you or as close to that as possible. I found that if it was more than 2 feet to one side it didn't feel the same for both ears and I've seen many AVSers report the same. If it's right behind you the direct sound radiating from the sub will dominate what you hear and mitigate the effect of nulls in the room.
You may (or may not) feel like it digs a couple of hz deeper depending how steep your roll off is since the closer distance will increase SPL at all frequencies including your lowest ones. If you're not maxed out on large for RSC then maybe a pinch less gain would be needed and allow a smidge more headroom down low to bump the RSC all the way up.
NF is worth a try. About 17 yrs ago using just test tones and an SPL meter (and a lot of time to optimize) I found putting the PB12 Ultra/2 directly behind MLP worked best. I'm still impressed with what that sub could do at that nascent time of HT.
Tim

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. SPL and SQ are my goals. Tactile response isn't the target but of course I won't complain about getting more.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i'm a near-field junkie. could never go back...

Reactions: Musty Hustla
1 - 9 of 9 Posts