AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the linux forum while I have been viewing the windows forum. I am interested in the linux version but It seems very "greek" to me so far. I would like to get some basics if possible on building a linux HTPC.

I was reviewing the MythTV site and a few of the threads and came across the terms: frontend and backend.....would someone explain this please.

I also noticed that someone had several computers and tv tuner cards in a system...is this hard to setup? Would some explain this setup?

What would be the best linux software to use?

Can I learn to use linux, like windows, in short order or do I need to be more of a programmer?

Can I utilize a harddrive for storage on a windows PC via network from a linux HTPC?

What would be the best tv tuner card to use to get analog, digital & HDTV? I currently have the fusionHDTV rt 5 gold.

Are drivers hard to get or configure in a linux OS?

When using a STB, is there a remote control or control to operate the STB to work with the HTPC system so that you can do future recordings?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Frontend refers to the frontend (client) software. Backend refers to the backend (server) software. MythTV is a server client base design. You can have a single box running both the backend and frontend making it a full function box, or you can have a box that does just the backend server and another box just the frontend client. Or you can have a master backend server, and slave backend server(s). Everything is transparent to the frontend. Example I run one master backend 24/7. It's my main server and also runs all my other servers like web, ftp, etc. I can also run the the client on the machine but rarely do. I have 4 ATSC tuners in that box. I have another machine in my bedroom that I run as a client only. There's nothing in the box but the bare basics. This is where I usually watch TV. I also have a third machine that runs a slave server with another ATSC tuner in it. This is for the Tv in the family room. My wife watches it, so it also runs as a client machine (frontend). If that machine is on, then the slave backend registers with the master backend server and it's tuner can be used to record or even watch TV from from it's tuner on any other client machine. I hope that cover frontends and backends enough for you. It's really just 2 different apps. The backend(s) records and control the tuners while the frontends set up whatever it is you want to do, and give you the display.

The ease or difficulty of setting up a system depends entirely on the ability of the person doing the setup. I didn't find a lot of useful help when I set mine up over a year ago. Today, there's probably more people running multiple boxes oever ethernet.

What would be the best linux software to use?

One you have a friend running.:)

Can I learn to use linux, like windows, in short order or do I need to be more of a programmer?

Dpends on who you are I guess. I had never even seen Linux when I downloaded and installed Mandrake 8.0. I found it easier than doing Win installs where you have to hunt up driver disk and the like. I only used Windows at work. I used OS/2 here at home til switching to Linux. And I was glad I switched.

Can I utilize a harddrive for storage on a windows PC via network from a linux HTPC?

You could, although I wouldn't for a lot of reasons. network traffic being the main.

What would be the best tv tuner card to use to get analog, digital & HDTV? I currently have the fusionHDTV rt 5 gold.

That's the card I first bought. Have since sold it and now only use $20 ATSC cards.:) Forget analog (NTSC) unless you have a special reason for it.

Are drivers hard to get or configure in a linux OS?

Most everything you need will come with the Linux distro.

When using a STB, is there a remote control or control to operate the STB to work with the HTPC system so that you can do future recordings?

Not sure exactly what you mean here. There are many remotes you can use with a MythTV box. If you want to connect to a cable box or something, then you can use an IR blaster or serial connection to control the STB channels changes. But i can't help much with that as I don't use cable or sat, just free OTA ATSC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply you asnwered alot of my questions.

What is the best way to go about learning linux from a user standpoint?

Where can I go for help in getting a linux HTPC setup? I downloaded ubuntu last night, from what I have heard it is very user friendly.

What $20 tv tuner do you use?

What is your PC setup you are using in your system?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a question.....I have a core 2 duo 6400 system and I was wondering if I installed the linux operating system x86_64 bit on it, would there be a problem if I had 2 other units that were running 32 bit linux for mythtv?

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammanda /forum/post/0

I have a question.....I have a core 2 duo 6400 system and I was wondering if I installed the linux operating system x86_64 bit on it, would there be a problem if I had 2 other units that were running 32 bit linux for mythtv?

There should be no problems running a 64-bit OS on the same network as a 32-bit OS. They still speak the same language over the network. Just make sure that any CPU you choose to run with a 64-bit OS is compatible with that particular 64-bit distribution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.