AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
You are confusing liquid cooling with liquid coupling. I think pretty much all CRT's are liquid cooled. Liquid Coupled is what the LC in 135LC stands for, and yes it makes a big difference. Without it, a small amount of light bounces off the inside surface of the lens and washes out dark areas of the image a little bit - most noticably on white text over an all white background. You see little halos around the text and this is the cause. Liquid Coupling reduces the overall light output slightly, but also more or less eliminates this problem resulting in the best of the best contrast ratio and clarity of picture with no "bleed" from extremely bright image elements into adjacent dark image elements.

For example, look at my avatar - if this were displayed on a non liquid-coupled CRT the jet-black sheen of my hair would be slightly washed out by light from the blue halo. On a LC machine, the delineation between halo and oh-so-lovely hair would be razor sharp.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree with CPurvis' comments, however, I truly believe that it will take a highly trained eye to see a difference. I have seen these two projectors side by side and yes, there is a difference. That being said, unless you have total darkness in your theater, you probably will not see a difference.

Both units are fantastic projectors. In my opinion, they are the best 8" CRT available.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with Torre - I have a pair side by side as we speak, and the difference is subtle. Many even say the non-LC model can resolve more detail, but I can't confirm that.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one, but I'm Keeping the LC and selling the XG135. Good luck,

John

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhnmdahl
I agree with Torre - I have a pair side by side as we speak, and the difference is subtle. Many even say the non-LC model can resolve more detail, but I can't confirm that.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one, but I'm Keeping the LC and selling the XG135. Good luck,

John
If you have a pair side-by-side, then you need to take a closer look, I don't think there's anything subtle about the difference.

If you own Theatertek take a look at the white Theatertek logo against it's black background...notice how the none LC'ed unit has a rather large halo around it? Now look at the LC'ed unit, it's halo is almost non-existent. (or it should be)

It doesn't take a trained eye to see it, I had a LC'ed XG, then went to two different non-LC'ed projectors...the difference was noticeable, and I have finally gone back to an LC'ed XG...I've learned my lesson, I'll never go back.

Don't get me wrong, the XG1350 is a very good unit, and if you haven't owned an LC'ed unit, you will be very happy.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
i also agree. the LC version is definitely producing a punchier image beacuse of the decreased halo effect.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
"Halation" is very noticeable (and distracting).

Personally the only reason I would go with an xg is for the LC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.