AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here for the past month and a half and learned so much from everyone here. What a great resource this forum has been. I've finally narrowed my choice down to two projectors - Sony HS10 and NEC 240K. I can buy either projector for the same price. My room is 14'x14' with total light control. Viewing habit is 70% DirectTV (will have DTV HD soon) and 30% DVD. For your money which one would you pick? Any inputs and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

· Registered
121 Posts
I just ordered an NEC 240K. I thought about the HS10 (or waiting for the HS20); 16:9 was really attractive to me since I will use it mostly for DVD's, but 3 factors swayed me toward the 240K:

1. Screen door. Now, I haven't seen the HS10, but I need as little screen door as possible. The projector will be table mounted in the living room; even with a 67" wide screen, the couches are barely 1.5 screen widths away from the screen, with me and some of the kids sitting on the floor even closer.

2. Contrast and shadow detail. These are important to my wife. We borrowed a Davis clone (untweaked) from a friend; not enough shadow detail. I borrowed an older Infocus; better contrast/blacks/shadow detail, but still not enough. (BTW, no one in my family saw any rainbows with either projector.)

3. Quiet operation. The Davis clone was really loud, almost turned my wife completely off from projectors (that, and the color banding from Macrovision). The Infocus was much better, almost acceptable.

Bottom line, the time was right, so I decided to just go for the 240K. I usually keep thinks for a long time (1986 Sony TV, 1988 daily driver, 1989 wife;)); I decided that the 240K will hold me for at least 3-4 years. YMMV

Brett

· Registered
405 Posts
Moabb HS10 is a pretty good unit in terms of PQ and especially HTPC use via DVI, I can't detect any screen door effect, I find contrast/black details adequate (considering the HS10 low price). Although for the time being there is a great debate regarding the lamp bug (mine is being serviced after the lamp failed at 490hrs -4 months after I bought it...)!!! I think you should wait for the HS20 for the same price or maube you can find an HS10 at adiscount price and takr your chances regarding the lamp failure possibility

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.