AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MP3 for several months and have been very happy overall. I find it very annoying, however, that the remote has different power "ON" and "OFF" buttons--who thought of that design anyway?

I'm going to buy a universal remote in the near future and am wondering if I'll have to program separate "ON" and "OFF" on that as well, or is there a way to somehow combine them into one? (yes, I've done a forum search already!) ;) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
jeffsorr,

You're charming! You're the first person who COMPLAINS about a feature, virtually every HT owner WANTS... With a universal remote control (e.g., pronto) you can program universal on/off commands for the entire system.

For example, my remote has an icon on the first screen that has my kids faces on it. When they touch it, the entire system comes to life - the plasma is turned on, the receiver is turned on (for sound), the correct kids channel is entered. Now, guess what would happen if there was no discrete code for on and off (i.e., toggle power, like you're used to)? If the TV was on and they mistakenly pushed the button - everything would be out of whack...

The same applies for turning the system off. They know to press a particular part of the screen in order to turn the system off regardless of the status it's in. Supposed it was not a macro, they'd need to press 5 different power buttons on the screen (I'm sure they'll get that right...).

If there was only the toggler power & the screen was off - the screen would be basically left on for the rest of enternity... Now, suppose the channle they were on was something I blocked out, I'd get a burn-in with the words "this channel has been blocked, enter the correct key code to enter...". I'm sure I'd love to see that overlay every single movie I watch...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for coming through Ofer (as usual)! I had planned to program macros (i.e. cable/DVD/CD) for my AV setup, but hadn't thought about power-off sequences. Guess I'll have to do more thinking when the remote arrives. (I'm going with the MX-500 as I like "real" buttons, though programming will admittedly be more tedious than on a Pronto.) As always, the hardest part will be re-training my roommates!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yup, if you go to remotecentral.com you'll see lots of posts requesting for "discrete codes" - that's what people are referring to, so they can program macros. For example, the DVD mode macro should:

- switch the receiver to DVD

- turn on DVD

- turn on TV (it'll stay on if it's already on - that's the beauty of discrete codes)

- play the DVD (optional)

And the system off button will turn everything off, regardless of the current on/off state of the devices.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
feffsorr,

If you have a good remote & a good set of macros, no training should be necessary.

If my wife and kids can operate my system, anyone can...

Should be even simpler with the Marantz remote (it's not as espensive as some would have you believe & it's a part of the Pronto family of remotes!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.