AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The suspense is killing me! I can’t believe there is so much positive energy surrounding the new NEC, given that not one sole on this forum has seen one yet.

I, like many others, are in the Dell queue for a Panasonic 42†– contemplating a switch to the seemingly more available NEC.

I have inferred (emphasis on infer) the following comparison in essentially a vacuum:

Contrast:

Panasonic: Best in Class

NEC: Close

Grayscale:

NEC: Better (blacks not as deep, but more detail)

Brightness:

NEC: Same or Close

False Contouring:

NEC: Same or Better

Color:

Panasonic: Best in Class (?)

NEC: Same or Better

Scalar:

Panasonic: Does not have a scalar

NEC: 3-2 Pulldown through internal scalar.

Connections:

Panasonic: 1 VGA, 1 SVHS, 1 Composite, 1 5xBNC, DVI through upgrade (though none exist yet?)

NEC: 1VGA, 1 SVHS, 2 Composite, 1 5xBNC, 1 3xBNC, 1 DVI

Burn In Protection:

Panasonic: Orbiter

NEC: Orbiter, Inverse Image, Scanning Bars

Noise:

Panasonic: No Fans? Faint to loud piezo electric buzzing

NEC: No Fans

All this being a conjecture, I guess will have to wait until the first units start shipping. I just hope my Panny does not ship (wow, I can’t believe I just wrote that) until I find out more about the NEC.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'll have my NEC on Tuesday :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered NEC42MP3 from Dell. I think the 50 inch with native 720 would be better but I decided the extra cost would be wasted with NTSC material.

I use a HiPix/1024x768 LCD projector for family room and the NEC42MP3 will be used in living room in an armoire where I didn't have the depth for a direct view (which I really wanted).

I'll be connecting to HiPix and TUHDS20.

If I'm not happy, I'll return to Dell and get the 50 incher.

The NEC does have the DVI interface included. I think this is extra on Panasonic.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlegault
Scalar:

Panasonic: Does not have a scalar

NEC: 3-2 Pulldown through internal scalar.
I have just one correction:

Scalar:

Panasonic: Best in class; 3-2 pulldown through internal scalar/

The Panasonic is a compellingly attractive proposition, imho.

Chip.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked around in the archives a bit, Peter Putman's Review of the 42" Panasonic last year revealed to me that it only has a line doubler.

The 50" Panny is a differnt story, I beleive it as a full blown scalar.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I hope you guys post some reviews/comparisons when you get your NEC's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
jlegault, depends what ppl mean when they say line doubler. I don't like this term as it can be confusing to the general public. I think de-interlacer is more accurate and AFAIK 3:2 pulldown (if it is done) is the job of the de-interlacer. Thus having "only" a line doubler does not preclude the presence of 3:2 pulldown.

Panny must have a scaler as it has to down convert 1080i and 720p signals to 480p.

Can't remember the rational for this but many ppl on this forum reckon that the IScan pro is inside the Panny 42".

I would agree with Chippy that this was the only mistake in the comparison.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
I hope you guys post some reviews/comparisons when you get your NEC's.
Yeah I can't wait! This will be the first time that I will have seen *any* first hand impressions on this pdp.

Edit: However, it does look like the buyers of the MP3 have not seen a Panny to compare it to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Divvy,

You're totally correct.

I have this short circuit in my head that goes like this "No 3:2 pulldown -> means I'll have to buy a progressive scan DVD -> means it has no scalar..."

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have seen the Panasonic many times with many different inputs. I have not seen the NEC. I fugure if I don't like, I'll return it.

All plasmas must have a scalar or they couldn't map to plysical pixel size - they would only crop or drop. I don't greatly care if they remove 3:2 pulldown since I play DVD's from progressive although it might be nice for HBO movies. Panasonic doesn't tout it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
I have seen the Panasonic many times with many different inputs. I have not seen the NEC. I fugure if I don't like, I'll return it.
Cool, it was never clear from your previous posts that you actually had seen the Panny. I look forward to your observations as they will be more meaningful to me now :)

·
Banned
536 Posts
Quote:

I ordered NEC42MP3 from Dell.

How much did you pay? A guy on an other thread says he paid $4358 for it. I call Dell. They can't give me that price. GF.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi GF,

I think that Dell may have separate sales deals for consumer vs. commercial clients.

One way around it, suggested by another member in your thread, would be to make this an online purchase, just clicking: "business customer" to display the correct lower pricing in your shopping cart. It seems highly unlikely that Dell would go on a rampage against GF Enterprises for turning them a small profit?

But if you're not comfortable with this, you can wait a few weeks for another sweet deal, this time reserved for consumers and not businesses, like the one on the Panasonic 42 incher a couple of weeks ago. :cool:

Cheers,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.