AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 This looks very interesting. 1024x768 with DVI inputs plus the other usual NEC features.

The official press announcement

Availability August 2002, MSRP $9.995.

I think maybe I will wait and be the first one on my forum to have the newest toy.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The Pioneer rep I spoke to 1-1/2 months or so ago said they considered NEC their competition, of course he claimed that they 'blow 'em out of the water'.

Time will tell.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
710 Posts
So what does $9995 translate to in terms of street price of Dell price?

Sounds like perhaps what I've been waiting for. Wish they had mentioned a bit more about HDTV uses and contrast ratio, though. Is this new glass or something that's been shipped previously?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Seems like a yawner. Seems like their is no protection from obsolescence -- the press release notwithstanding -- due to lack of HDCP.

Unless this dramatically outperforms the Pioneer 433cmx (maybe, but I'm not holding my breath), it's not such a big deal.

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Rogo,

Forget HDCP. It's already obsolete & will never be implemented in large scale environments (people are already too invested in HD through component to allow HDCP to work).

It's HDCP2 that's worrying me. Does anyone know of a plasma that supports it :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Specs aside... it seems like they have one up on the competition with the GREAT warranty...

"2 years (exchange or repair and return), optional extension to 3 years"

even... GASP... if you decide to buy it for a resonable price over the WEB!!!

Hear that Fuji... that's the sound of your customers footsteps as they run for the competition.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, blepore, I agree the warranty is a big plus.

Ofer, fwiw, the incredibly tiny number of HD STBs sold in the U.S. indicates that most HD display buyers are *not* watching HD at all. If their sets were rendered somewhat obsolete and they didn't even learn of it until a few years from now (which is likely, as they'd dribble in for an HD box or an HD-DVD player) the outcry would be pretty small in sheer numbers.

I just bought a non-HDCP HDTV, but at a price that makes it "disposable." Plus, it does the squeeze, plays DVDs great, and will be able to get OTA HD from the DTC-100 indefinitely. I am not expecting it to support HD DVD nor next-generation HD over satellite via component, nor counting on it to do so.

When I buy a plasma, it will be "future proofed" to support copy protected input. I find that loathsome, but necessary.

Mark

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The NEC MP3 MSRP is $7,995 and sells for $5,000. So I would expect that the MP4 would be selling between $6,000 and $7,000. Since the Pio is $6,995 at Dell I would not be surprised if the NEC came in less than that. My prediction, $6,495. I wonder what this will do to the price point of the MP3.

As for obsolescence , your only protection against obsolescence is to buy a 480 line display. I wonder to what extent you can really see the resolution difference in this size display unless you are right on top of it. From 10 feet can you even see the difference?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Aside from NR, text is absolutely illegible in a PC environment and quite frankly.. 848 x 480 gets tiring.. esp for someone who hasn't seen the lower end of 1024 x 768 in 5 years..

Personally, I can't wait to see a demo.

Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.