Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentleman,

I have seen prices on the new NEC coming out. One website http://shop.store.yahoo.com/col88/nec42mp4.html has listed it at $5699.00 (why can't they put 5700 - it is the same). If this price holds - they will have the market. What do others think?

Dave

·
Registered
860 Posts
Why is that price so special? You can get other 42" online for $5K. If the MSRP was $5700, I would agree. But a street price under $6K is nothing new for that size plasma.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I know that, but is a $5700 price tag on a new 42" unit a steal? Does that mean we can expect in a few months it will be available for like $4500? I ask, because I am actually looking to buy a new plasma, but I want a good unit at under $5k.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
FYI, there are much cheaper plasmas around.

When I ordered my Panny, I was able to get it for $4500 - the $ got too strong, so I had to cancel my order :( But, I ended up with the NEC and that's a good thing.

The question is not one of price, it's how good the PQ is on that thing. No-one knows yet (There are lots of factors to consider).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I am thinking of by mentioning the price is, it is one of the higher resolution panels, in the same ballpark as the Pioneer 433CMX and 4330HD. The Pioneer models are close to 7K and the a rumor is circling that Pioneer may go the same way with their warranty as Fujistu.

So, for some of us: 1. Aquality panel manufacturer. 2. A decent price. 3. Higher resolution (1024 x768). Makes it a Win-Win situation.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Davidw,

I only meant that before asking about a price for something, you first have to figure if it's even something you want. You do that by first determining how good the unit looks and what it can do.

the question is not just about price, since prices tend to drop over time, but features are there for the the lifespan of the display.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that. I think the NEC will be a great value. The 42 MP3 is a great product and even the prvious genreation wasn't bad (the Runco 42" is based on that product). I have been looking and reading about plasma screens for about 6 months now and I have decided what I really want in one, also. I think that is why the new NEC will sell. It has many of the features that the Pioneer does and it seems to be priced less - that is a WIN-WIN situation in my book.

David

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just to re-iterate some of what has been said. The MP4 is the 1024X768 rez panel. The MP3 is highly regarded as being on par with the panny 42". This price is substantially lower than the pio 1024X768 model and lower than even the ALiS panels. I agree with bot that this is something to get excited about.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Does anyone know what the upgradeability situation is with the 42MP4?

Ofer - fair enough. My interest isn't necessarily price-PQ ratio for this particular display, but whether or not the original poster's point about the display's price being trendsetting is accurate. What I really want to know is if plasma prices in general seem to be trending downwards in the manner that has been projected. This is why I ask if that street price is unusually low for a newly released 42" model.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks Chung.

For those that are interested, there have been two previous threads about this unit, the first one points to that yahoo link, the specs and there is some discussion about HDCP/ugradeability:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=141029

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=128303

DavidW, I'm sure you have got this already but, yes, it is a very good proce for a "HD Rez" plasma and it does seem to point to a downward trend.

Take a look at this thread for the post from Joys R US where he mentions the $3400 price target for 42" (end of 2003) - based on the 10,000 JPY per inch target in the article he links to.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=143100

Rogo posted his calculation based on some industry research a couple of times. In one thread you were a participant:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=136144

Judging from the Panasonic press release that Joys R Us linked to and the price decreases that have occurred over the last 18 months, Rogo's numbers may actually be pretty much on the mark.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Divvy, thanks. Would love it if those Rogo numbers (which yes, I did remember), were on the mark. I am looking to buy plasma in 6-18 months, depending on a number of factors, price and upgradeability chief among them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ofer,

I'm curious, what would make you question the PQ on this panel... With every new model the PQ has improved.. I don't think I've ever seen a newer model plasma with a worse PQ than the prev. gen.

I am however somewhat skeptical about this website and price.. maybe its from all those dealings with the shady cats on Ebay.. they claim to have the item in stock as they advertise "usually ships next day".. could this be true?

Bryan

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
How dare you people suggest my predictions might come true!

:)

Mark

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
haha! Yes Rogo, how audacious of us :D

BTW, I am also trusting your judgement on OLED. Make sure you keep on top of it and keep reporting back please.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
1) Sign me up for the Mp4. How about a mass buy? This is a great price.

2) If the prices are dropping so sharply why is the price of the Panny 42 at Dell (for example) the SAME as it was months ago?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.