AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the NEC 42VP4 plasma? Is this a new model recently released or has this been around for over a year?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

ZSO

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 42VP4 is a fairly new model from NEC. There are two versions, the 42VP4A is a better home theater model and the 42VP4D is geared towards signage. The 42VP4 has been getting some good reviews.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nez,

Now for a loaded question, Any reason the Panny 42pwd6uy is better than the 42vp4. It seems from a resent review... that the NEC is a much better unit. Plus you get a DVI input.

ZSO

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the DVI input on that isn't HDCP, but for computer use only.

That would be the case if it is like last year's model.

NEC is also rebadged as a Marantz. I've seen the Marantz and it's great. However, couldn't go with anything without DVI.

JUst me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wildman
I'm pretty sure that the DVI input on that isn't HDCP, but for computer use only.

That would be the case if it is like last year's model.

NEC is also rebadged as a Marantz. I've seen the Marantz and it's great. However, couldn't go with anything without DVI.

JUst me.
Correct not HDCP complaint, but the Toshiba 42" is very similar and is complaint

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If your main source for DVI input is an HTPC then HDCP compliance won't be necessary - other than for boob tube feeds in the USA. ;) In Europe as of date we have no use for HDCP compliance, we don't even use Component connections over here.

One thing which has me quite puzzled is the Contrast Ratio of the NEC 42VP4A. My local vendor has it advertised on their website as being 1500:1 but Peter Putnam in his review doesn't seem to say it is actually only about 1/3 of that of the Panasonic 6UY models. Who's right? Does Panasonic "inflate" their numbers? Does NEC understate them? I thought NEC hadn't even publicly released Contrast numbers for this unit...

:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.