AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 50MP1 up and running last night. No HD source (yet) but DVD looks stunning. Reds are truly remarkable and picture is breathtaking. XGA from my computer also looks remarkable! Alas, digital cable (AT&T) looks pretty bad.

Questions:

1. Is it worth switching to DirectTV or will the improvement in picture be marginal over Digital Cable. Also, I will still need to get locals somehow.

2. The unit has the option of making "gray bars" any of 9 shades between black and near-white. Is there any harm in making the bars black (which I think looks the best especially when split screen between Computer & Cable or DVD.

3. Does anyone know how to get discreet IR codes for Video 1/2/3 or DVD/HD 1/2 RGB 1/2/3. In order to program macros for my wife & child to switch sources, I need to be able to select specific inputs.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Greg, I have the same Plasma. I can really answer only one of your questions - by all means use grey bars not black ones ! There is a thread on the forum regarding a burn-in issue (especially on new plasmas - under 100 hours or so) Because of the high contrast difference on 4:3 feed and "black bars" on the side plasma can develop a burn-in "image" same is true for a static image off the computer. By keeping side bars at grey (yeah, I can imagine your dissatisfaction while you are reading this - I am the same :) you can avoid "damage" to your plasma. Sometimes after watching 2.35:1 -"theatrical" aspect ratio on NEC I will notice a "black" bars on top and the bottom of display. Usually I turn the white screen on for a couple of minutes to make display refresh and cure the problem (feature can be found in Menu under Screen Features - has Inverter, Orbiter and White mode) I do not recall exact sequence but check in your manual - it is easy to locate.

Hope this will help.

Enjoy !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.