Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All..

I've decided (unless everyone has a negative thought about this model) to purchase the NEC 50MP2. Do any of you out there own one and if so, can you tell me about your experience with it and all things said and done, would purchase it again knowing what you now know about it?

Thanks in advance

Pat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sydney....

Thanks but that doesn't really help me much. Why should I be interested in the models you mentioned....certainly you wouldn't expect anyone to just purchase those units based on your word of mouth....?

Pat

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 50MP2 is the logical choice for boardroom use, if and only if because of the split screen function and square pixel technology.

If you want the NEC for home theater use, you may want to consider the Pioneer 503CMX instead. The Pioneer has tremendous brightness and the video card options that will be forthcoming will only enhance the functionality of this unit. The current Aurora Multimedia card available does allow a similar split screen function, picture in picture and some other functions probably better suited towards professional presentations.

The NEC 50MP2 will be updated with another version in about 6 months. Side by side, the 50MP2 and 503CMX do not have a great performance chasm separating them, whereas the previous 50MP1 and Pioneer 502 models did...the NEC being clearly superior. The NEC models do have a fuller set of inputs, so if you have multiple sources you may want to focus more on the NEC, if only for that reason alone.

The 50MP2 had some initial service problems with regard to active pixels. This has largely gone away because of production process changes.

The Pioneer 503 has operated almost flawlessly by comparison since its orginal launch.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PlasmaPrincess..

I'll be hooking the plasma up to my Pioneer DV-37 DVD Player, my Hughes E-86 High Def set top box and I'll use the display mainly to watch either DVD's or High def stuff...which I know there's only 2 channels on Directv that do this (where I live, we don't receive OTA local channels for any other hi def signal).

I had a big screen before and got rid of it..Mits DLP 65 inch. It was good but I'm convinced a plasma is much more deeper in its colors. The DLP seemed a little washed out no matter how I had the settings.

To Jeff St. John...

I really appreciate your input! Very helpful. I did notice the NEC had a few more input options which I am in fact concerned with being that I'll have two seperate components which I want to feed with component cables (DVD and High Def STB).

Jeff...so bottom line, all said and done....would you think the NEC worthy of mainly a home theater design instead of the Pioneer? Or 6 of one, half a dozen of the other....??

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, when I go to the Dell Website I only see a 503MX versus what most of you mention....a 503"C"MX. Is the plasma without the "C" the same monitor???

Is the Pioneer 503MX or CMX a well thought of plasma?

Pat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found a 503CMX on a website for purchase and noticed it has a pixel count of 1268 x 768.....vs the NEC having 1365 x 768.

Can anyone tell me if that extra 100 horizontal pixels make any difference whatsoever....as in a decrease possibly in HD quality pictures?

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hi Pat-

Welcome to AVS!

If you have not yet done so, I suggest you get familar with the Very Powerful Search function Here. There is Tons of info on all the models in question.

One tip:

When you click on the search icon (top of this page) and enter the keywords search string, if you select the option to list results by 'post' it will hone in more quickly on what you are looking for. There is also a thread comparing features and problems of the 50" models that was started by Ericbee. So you could enter his name in the username window, and enter 50mp2 in the search string.

By doing this you will collect much more info in a much shorter period of time, than by waiting on responses here. This is partly due to repetitive questions that have already been addressed.

Good luck

Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, those extra 100 pixels are not important. Other things may be determining differences in picture quality, but certainly not 100 pixels over such a large distance.

Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pat, welcome to the forum. I can't urge you strongly enough to use the search feature; it's how you access the collected wisdom of the million posts here ....

There is one thread that you MUST read: it's a thread with 152 posts on the pros and cons of all the major 50" plasmas, the NEC and Pioneer versions included. I used the seach terms "pros cons 50" and found it in about 10 seconds. Here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=pros+cons+50

Two other quick observations, Pat. First, a point of etiquette. I thought your reply to Sydney was a little sharp and not necessary; if you ask for opinions on the forum and someone gives you one, it's a little odd to dismiss it because it's only his opinion. Just some food for thought as you spend more time here. His post may have seemed critical to you, but I didn't read it that way.

Second, I've seen these units at a few trade shows (I've posted these observations in several posts). As between the NEC and Pioneer models (503 MX is dell's invented model number for a 503CMX without a video card, it is not a Pioneer designation), here is my reaction:

The brightness and contrast ratios between these two models are virtually indistinguishable. The subjective black levels are also about the same. Both of the Panasonic and Fujitsu 50 models have better subjective blacks.

Colors on the Pioneer seem a bit punchier to me than the other models, with the Fujitsu second, followed by the NEC and the Panasonic seems the most "washed out" of the models. But the picture quality is not a reason to choose between the Pioneer and NEC, the PQ is very close in my opinion.

Note that all of these performance items can be significantly enhanced and the differences greatly narrowed by a professional ISF calibration (search the forum for recommendations, typically a few hundred $$$). The units I have seen were, to my knowledge, uncalibrated. Others have posted on the effects of calibration but the recommendation to get a calibration is virtually uniform.

Unless the split screen is a must-have for you, as between the Pioneer and NEC, I would strongly suggest the Pioneer for two reasons: first, the video card system makes the unit fully upgradeable for new copy protection standards, and the card system allows for 3d party cards (some of which are presently available) with 2-tuner PIP, onboard video scalers that bypass the Pioneer's internal scaler, etc. I would even pay a bit more for the Pioneer as a result because of the upgradeability.

The second reason is that the Pioneer video card PDA-5002 (which you really need to purchase with the plasma) has a DVI input that works at native resolution, allowing for a digital end-to-end solution with a modified dvd player and scaler with the right features. That makes a big difference in picture quality.

You will really need an outboard video processor with either the NEC or Pioneer to maximize their picture quality (in addition to the ISF calibration). There is a whole separate forum for that, again, please search and read up before posting, since you will spend your time most efficiently that way and there's lots of great information on that forum.

The 1268 vs. 1365 is strictly a function of the pixel dimensions; Pioneer's are more rectangular (i.e., longer) than the NEC's; there is no observable picture quality difference as a result. It does require a scaler, however, that will output that resolution, so you will need to look for that.

I hope you found this helpful. Welcome to the forum

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Joel...

You said, "Two other quick observations, Pat. First, a point of etiquette. I thought your reply to Sydney was a little sharp and not necessary; if you ask for opinions on the forum and someone gives you one, it's a little odd to dismiss it because it's only his opinion. Just some food for thought as you spend more time here. His post may have seemed critical to you, but I didn't read it that way."

Sidney, in my opinion, should have stated "why" he said what he said. I thought it rather "poor etiquette" on his part to simply say, why would I get the NEC....with no reason as to why. This was why I answered the way I did and didn't think it was sharp nor "not necessary". I was simply asking him to say why he thought what he wrote...

That's all.

No harm, no foul.

Pat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Divvy...

Yes and I found lots. Thanks for the heads up!

Pat

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 503CMX has greater brightness and contrast, plus the flexbility of the interchangeable video card. The 40% greater phosphor depth in the 503 vs the previous 502 is also touted to increase overall life of the display, although we will have to wait for time to tell on this.

Both are very good 50" displays. However, the 503 does have the brightness and contrast edge and without question would be a better choice for home theater, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who have so kindly responded to my inquiries. I've made some good headway on the search function and have educated myself quite a bit just in the day or two I've been a member here!!

I do have a question re this "interchangeable video card".....what exactly will it upgrade to??? Does it somehow bypass the copy protection? I'm kinda in the dark on this one.

Thanks again.

Pat

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
FlyboyAA:

Take some advice from someone who has been there. Whatever plasma you decide is right for you, and I happen to have the 503CMX and love it, don’t take the advice about needing a scaler to heart. Evaluate your new display first before making any determinations about scalers. You may find you’re perfectly happy with the picture quality as is.

There are lots of people on this forum who insist that a scaler is required to get the best performance. I’ve used the 503 with and without a Faroudja NRS. I bought the NRS sight-unseen at the same time as the 503, based partly on the opinions of the gurus on this forum. While the NRS does add some detail, depth-of-field, and colour saturation, the 503 without it isn’t anywhere near as bad as some people here make out.

Caveat emptor and good luck making a decision.;)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pat, thanks for the clarification re Sydney.

The card slot allows whatever vendors decide to make. It will allow a new card that will accept the encrypted DVI/HDCP or Firewire interface that may be required to view HD content in the future, for example. Other displays don't have this capability. The slot also allows all kinds of other cards to be made, just like a computer slot. It doesn't limit things.

Cheers

·
Registered
860 Posts
Pat,

I would think very carefully about getting any plasma display without the upgrade capability. The primary concern is that the decryption may ultimately be required by law to be integrated into the display. Hence, a display without it would not be useable for any HD material absense some black/grey market workaround. Run a search under HDCP in this forum for a more thorough discussion of the issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Terrific advice from everyone. Wow...

I've followed this HDCP thing in the magazines I subscribe to and while it may happen at some point, is the general consensus that it's only a few years away....maybe 3-5???

I just have a hard time believing that the industry would in effect, negate all the HD monitors out there today that don't have the card upgrade. Perhaps I'm naive (actually I'm not too street smart according to the wife!)

but while it's a concern, I don't necessarily share the thought that it will render anything I buy today obsolete in its entirety. I believe Hollywood would be shooting themselves in the foot....although I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time for doing something that ridiculous!

I do agree with Joel in that this card slot can be used for many things in addition to the HDCP to very easily upgrade the electronics inside the unit on the Pioneer as advances continue.

IMHO, I think the next great advancement we will see in televisions/plasmas in general will be some kind of 3-D picture without having to wear those silly glasses.

Thanks again for the great advice to everyone here. I hope this thread stays alive for a while with your insights and thoughts. It's worth millions to us...well maybe thousands!

Pat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.